1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question anyone have a hw99s strip down guide??

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by gaj1612, May 15, 2015.

1. gaj1612

gaj1612 Engaging Member

got my self a hw99 and have been reading up on the drop in kits, i was thinking of putting in a WD kit but have never stripped an air gun before.

has anyone got a step by step strip down guide or anything similar i could go by?

thanks

2. bhodge

bhodge Posting Addict

Hi mate, I've never stripped a '99 so I'm not the best person to give you the answer. What I would suggest is checking out YouTube, I'm pretty sure you'll find something helpful there.
    Weihrauch's in general are very straightforward to work on, so I'm confident you'll have no problems.
    Atb, bhodge.

3. Taz72

Taz72 Engaging Member

A couple of the mags have done stripdowns but they're on back issues. There is a scan of one on the net somewhere if googled but its only the first half (taking it apart).
    However the good news is it's one of the easiest, very similar to a 95, and there are definitely a couple of decent vids on youtube for that.
    The only key practical differences are the 99 cocking linkage is articulated whereas the 95 isn't, and the stock screws are 2 at the side vs one in the middle. Otherwise its virtually bit for bit the same.

Points to note are;
    A sash clamp/spring compressor will make the job easier: its not that you couldn't cope with the spring, its just a heck of a lot less fiddly, particularly with taking out and replacing the 4 little b***er lugs that locate the rear block. You'll also need something round and roughly the same size as the inner end block to push against it. I had an old plastic plumbing joint to hand but there are plenty of other bits n bobs you could use.

Don't just grab the first screwdrivers you have to hand. Find some that fit or you'll chew the screws up. This is particularly important for the breech bolt which needs a really wide, thick one. When I next have time I'll probably grind down an old/cheap chisel to size for mine.

You will need something to poke out the little lugs. A cutoff small allen key seems to be the easiest tool for this.

Pin punches for the trigger assembly removal (or a carefully chosen cutoff nail/allen key etc, but careful to not damage them, and to tap them from the correct side otherwise you'll be forcing them in rather than out.

You'll need something to clean the old gunk out - brake cleaner, meths, IPA etc
    Also a good supply of paper tissues and j-cloths or their pound-shop equivalent.
    A piece of something long, round and non-scratchy for cleaning/ lubing the cylinder will also come in handy - a section of wooden brush stale with a small vertical slot to help hold the cloth is ideal. 2 is even better: that way you avoid mixing your "dirty" stripdown stuff with your "clean" relube stuff.
    Wet n dry 320 & 600 grit.
    Autosol polish

Don't forget to have some decent lubrication for putting it back together.

And a healthy supply of time and meticulous patience for your first attempt, which will take at least 3x as long as you expect and twice as long as your subsequent ones :)

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  4. gaj1612

gaj1612 Engaging Member

Lovely stuff, thanks for that. I have watched a video of the 95 being stripped and seems pretty straightforward. Could you suggest a video where things are being done properly? It's the polishing side of things I'm not too sure about

Thanks for the info

5. Taz72

Taz72 Engaging Member

Can't recall seeing a video of the piston polishing bit but its fairly straightforward. I used my rechargeable drill and some advice I think was from praps tinbum or T20 on here, can't rightly remember.

Basically, clean any crud and existing grease off the piston (inside and out) and the seal with your cleaning stuff. You might find some bits of swarf here & there from original assembly (including the seal I'm disappointed to say- I did but luckily only on the face, they hadn't damaged the edge)
    Clean up any burrs or nasty edges on the piston's cocking slot. Use something flat for your wet n dry to go around (an old kitchen knife might do at a push) so you're not rounding edges that should be square. (I know very fine files may be better but am assuming just simple basic tools)
    Put something inside the piston to prevent any unnecessary ingress of particles. Protect the latch rod and put it in the drill jaws. Tighten enough to hold but not to damage or scratch it.
    Then you're ready for the fun bit. Spin the piston in the drill. Doesn't need to be too fast. Safer not to be actually.
    Polish the surface with increasingly finer grades, then clean off any errant particles.

Next with autosol on a j-cloth or clean rag. At all times take care that if (or rather when) it snags, it pulls out of your hands and you release the power. Sounds basic and primitive because it is, but it works, and you will end up with a nice smooth shiny piston, all good & ready for burnishing/buffing with some decent high moly content powder or paste .

6. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    pretty straight forward to strip, watch when you knock out the two trigger pins that you don,t lose the the safety and its spring and the captive nut on the trigger To remove the four blocks grind down a allen key and use this don't use a screwdriver ,when removing the back block I place the rifle end down on a round kids rubber saves marking the ends some people use a coin place it onto the rubber and push down and twist.I do all this on a white sheet makes it easier to find parts that drop/spring out, good luck these are a rewarding rifle to work on the same as the 98/95 all the same method.

7. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

Search for username 2lb trigger pull on you tube. He has just uploaded a 99/50 strip down video. His videos are very good, he really knows his weihrauch rifles!
    Hth
    Si

8. HWnut

HWnut Busy Member

9. katluke

katluke Donator

No need to remove the barrel to remove cocking arm from cylinder. Just tap drift pin at the front of the cocking arm ( where it connects to barrel block ) to free the cocking arm from barrel then slide it out.

sp

10. gaj1612

gaj1612 Engaging Member

thanks for all the info, im going to get my scope on tomorrow and have a plink. do a bit more reading up and once ive put some pellets through it, i shall have a go :)

11. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

12. gaj1612

gaj1612 Engaging Member

thanks for the help everyone, i have watched a few vids and feel pretty confident, i plan on putting a fair few pellets through it first before i strip it down.

13. Samiad

Samiad Donator

If it makes you feel any better about doing it, I'm somewhat of a spoon fed muppet when it comes to taking things apart and putting them back together (mainly the back together bit is my issue!) but I found it so easy that even I can strip, clean and lightly lube mine up in a matter of minutes and it works once it's back together :)

14. Dag

Dag Very Active

I watched Tinbum do mine and noticed the preload was not so great that it required a spring compressor or sash cramp. He pushed the end down onto a delrin washer and that seemd more than adequate to remove the pressure on the pins.
    Perhaps he might like to comment if I have said anything wrong here. Safety is paramount but with care the spring and piston removal isn't a problem as Samiad says.
    hth
    Dag

15. Taz72

Taz72 Engaging Member

It isn't the preload that's the problem, it's the potential b*ggering about with the little lugs while trying to hold a spring in a precise position under slight tension if one of them decides it's quite comfy and would actually really rather stay where it is thanks; Two of mine came out easily, one was a bit more awkward, and the fourth was a little sod which took a few minutes of fiddling and cursing.

Don't get me wrong, it's not THAT difficult & I'm not trying to say that you absolutely must must must have a spring compressor to do it, but in the same way that you could get a bottletop off with the edge of a wall and a sharp tap, wouldn't you rather make life easier and use a bottle opener (at least for your first try)?

I don't doubt Tinbum wouldn't have had the slightest problem with it, in the same way that all good engineers/mechanics/gunsmiths have a knack for such things.
    On the other hand, I've watched Don Felder play the guitar solo from Hotel California and that looked dead easy as well... :D

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  16. Ouch!

Ouch! Donator

I used a pound coin to release the preload on my 95k it's no great problem. A very easy stripdown just watch 'the tube of you' and follow the instructions.

Simples!