1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Anyone have a dirtbike?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by edessex, Oct 5, 2014.

1. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

I'm considering buying a dirt bike, road legal (think they are called enduro these days, or something like that).

I've got a full bike licence, and have riden road commuter bikes, but I don't have a clue about off road bikes.

Has anyone here gone from a road bike to a dirt bike, is the seating position and knobbly tyres difficult to get used to?

I'm after a cheap lower power one for greenlaning, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. landymick

landymick Very Active

Suzuki DRZ 400 Should be ok for you.Honda XR 400 R Good solid single but kickstart only if standard.The DRZ is water cooled "S" version is road use a bit tamer & lights with indicators.

3. Samobaggins

Samobaggins I own to many fx rifles

If going for anything get button start! When you have fallen off to many times to remember you will thank me. It's amazing how hard it is to kick start something on a hill. + what do you call cheap?

4. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

You'll never go wrong with a suzuki DR or a yam WR, seating position is very tall although I don't have that issue being 6"5", but it's something to consider, the suspension can make road riding quite wallowy mid corner and the knobblies won't have the grip but for all these shortcomings it'll make you a better rider.

5. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

Maico 410 stroker!!!!!! Made me a man that beast!!!!!

6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Had a few in the past including a widow maker (KX500), CR125 - 500's and many others in between. Sold the last two of my KX's last year to fund the new guns.

An off road bike can very easily be converted to road legal, do some research into it, they can even be registered as daytime only machines without lights.

7. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

Did exactly what you are thinking of. Great fun. I use to ride as a dispatch / r up in town and wanted to return to bikes. I started out with a 250 RMX {Suzi} then went for my first KTM, she was a 350 EXC. Great bike. Really wish I still had her. Then I went to the 250 and then on to the 450 KTM. That was one hell of a bike. As someone has wisely said already, electric start is a good idea. Or go down the road of an old DT125lc if you can find one, nice and light.

Its great fun and a really good day out provided you have access to the byway's that is. Be warned genuine off road tyres do not behave like road tyres. Avoid wet drain covers when on the road, and do not forget to give the front break some use when trying to stop. As to the riding style, if you are up for giving whatever you end up buying a good blatting, remember to stand up on the foot pegs, and grip the fuel tank with your knee's. Otherwise your going to be all over the shop, and often on your arse. LOL.

Final word of warning, the byways are open for one and all, including horses and riders. Slow down for horses always. They don't like screaming bikes roaring past them, and you could unseat a rider by fizzing up the animal. Enjoy. So wish I had kept that first 350 EXC. Great old bike and she was a real looker. Cheers KB1

8. Scott srs

Scott srs Well-Known Member

Make sure you have plenty of money for repairs them 4 strokes cost a fortune ,
    I just sold up as my son didn't want to ride anymore he started when he was 4 on a Ktm mini adventure we were members of a local mx club and spent many a happy day racing excellent fun .have you considered motocross there some great practice tracks around

9. Samobaggins

Samobaggins I own to many fx rifles

I disagree slightly on cost! Yes it's not the cheapest sport. If you don't race and keep on top of the maintenance. Wash and lube things then green laneing isn't to bad.
    I had a ktm exc400 on a 55 plate and spares were cheap. If you want it to be showroom all the time it's a different story.

10. edessex

edessex Engaging Member

Sorry guys, didn't get any notifications for some reason!

I've only ever had 4-stroke bikes, but really tempted with a 2-stroke!

I've currently only got a couple of hundred in the kitty, but am thinking about getting one of my road bikes out of the lockup and getting it back on the road, then sell in spring to raise some funds.

I might be able to get a cheapish ex-army MT350, but not heard loads of good things...