1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone done this to their SMK QB78?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jake_snake, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Jake_snake

Jake_snake Engaging Member

2. gunsnlandies

gunsnlandies Posting Addict

Archer won't export for one thing. Even if he did why spend as much as the rifle cost again on it. It will still be a cheap Chinese rifle, just a magazine loader. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the rifles, as I own a TH78 and a HPA'd AR2079A. I can't see the point in spending silly money on them. You might as well spend a bit more and get a good second hand PCP and be done with it.

3. Jake_snake

Ok gunsandladies, wasn't sure on the cost and availability.
    Looks good though.
    How much could you buy a rifle for that has that sort of setup out the box?

4. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

I whole heartedly agree
    I started of on a Qb78 and modded it as much as possible without spending too much money
    You are better of tuning a Chinese springer than spend a fortune of a CO2 gun that has screws made from cheese holding it together
    Those chinese springer are snubbed and looked down on by most shooters but they take very little time and money to turn into a gun as good as you can buy for 3 times the price

In my opinion the 78 and 79 are the worst guns SMK import

5. Jake_snake

Oh......:smash:

6. gunsnlandies

To HPA a XS79 as this is far easier than the 78. The rifle is about £100. A HPA tank £40+. A replacement bolt and seal kit £12. As for Archers kit. Over there a $159.99, which would equate to the same figure in pounds if it ever got sold here. So you're looking at over £300. Plus it will need stripping and fettling to get rid of the rough edges and to bring the power up to legal levels to begin with.
    You won't get a new PCP out of the box for that money, but there's a lot of good used ones out there to be had.

7. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Nothing wrong with the 78 and 79's, great guns for the money and infinitely tuneable! :up:

I am going to gave a go at HFT with my 79 one day, I'm sure it would score just as well as the £1000 guns in the right hands.

8. Jake_snake

Thanks gunsandladies.

Steve, tell me more about tuning please :)

9. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

All sorts of mods you can perform/have done, I converted to HPA with a Gorilla paint ball tank and an on/off valve from RAP4 and get about 130 full power shots from it now, it's had a full seal and bolt upgrade and with a bit of tweaking from advice from our resident experts on them I managed to get a steady 11.40fpe from mine now.

Having the barrel shortened and screw cut for a moderator soon as it barks a bit.

They also sport a lovely piece of beech under all that crappy paint and lacquer on the stocks.

Bottom stock is standard factory, top is after a re-finish.

10. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

T R Robb does a upgraded valve for them now and with just a little bit of tweaking you can get them to be nice shooters and go hpa you can make them year round shooters.

11. gunsnlandies

Couple of points on the tuning front you need to know. The .22 is far easier to bring up to full power than the .177. You really need a chrono as the .22 will go over power very easily. There is absolutely no need to spend money on anything other than a seal and bolt kit from Welsh Willy. The internals can be polished up to do the job just as well. My TH78 is running 11.5 on Bis Mags and I've only done this to mine. The TP seal is changed for a bigger one in the winter because of colder temperatures. I won't go into the work done to the AR2079A internally as it's a .177 running at 11.5 ft/lb on HPA. This would take a .22 well over the limit.
    If chopping the barrel from the muzzle, be careful, as the bore is not always central. Don't chop a .177 at all, it will drop the power even more, and as they are a pig to bring up in the first place, it really is a no no. It pays to chop the barrel from the breach end and make a new pellet tray from Delrin if you must.
    IMO they are well worth a punt, considering their low price to begin with. Still use mine on a regular basis. I think it's the satisfaction of getting them running far far better than when they were bought new.
    These are my two.
    View attachment 100505 View attachment 100506
    Brian

12. Jake_snake

Thanks for all the help and info there gunsandlandies.
    Mines a .22 and a deluxe thumb hole model just like your first picture.

How much would you chop from the barrel?
    With regards to a chrono, what would you suggest?

Really interested in improving the wood on it, that's first thing I think.
    As per post on last page, Steve suggested.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  13. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Jake,

I'm told that the barrels should only be shortened from the breech end due to eccentricity problems (the crown might not be central after cutting from the muzzle end)

A member on the Chinese air gun forum - Porkyorkie (hope that's right) can do this and make a modification to the barrel seals at the same time which improves the gun immensely I'm told. It's not an expensive modification either.

I only like to remove about 6" from the barrel as it will drop power by about 1fpe, any more might make it harder to raise the power again and losing 1fpe isn't the end of the world if the power mods are difficult to achieve.

A Combro Mk4 is as good as you will need to test the power IMO.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  14. Jake_snake

Thanks Steve, is this a thread I can view without registering?
    Has he got a guide or anything or does he do it as a service?

15. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

That's a lovely example Brian, same tank as mine.

Does the moderator help much with the muzzle report as mine makes a hell of a crack!

Yeah a Chrono is an absolute essential when tuning these puppies as they can make some serious FAC power.

16. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Register on there as he only accepts contact via the forum PM, then he will sort the finer details out with you. ;)

17. Jake_snake

Ok thanks Steve.:)

18. gunsnlandies

Steve. When the 2079 was first ran on air, it was fine and running at 10.5. then I picked up a GMAC pin probe second hand. this pushed it up to 11.5. This extra 1ft/lb really does make it crack as you say. The mod does subdue it a bit, but not fully anymore. Whereas my .22 78 is totally quiet except for the hammer click, and they both put out the same power levels. It does go hunting now and again, just because it can, even though it's not a silent as others in the fleet.
    Brian

19. Jake_snake

I have a question too. What products and methods did you use to bring the stock up like that?
    Obviously a full strip down is required?

20. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

When I first converted mine to HPA I struggled to get the power down, it was around 20fpe, I tried loads of ways to drop the power and eventually found a hammer spring mod was the key to success. I also plan to use mine for hunting trips but need to carbine it first at its like a Javelin with the mod on and the pellets are clipping with it fitted.

Once it's shortened properly I will make real use of it, I love the shot count and the way it feels like a real bolt action rifle. :up: For a cheapy gun it has a lot of character.