1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

any recomendations.

Discussion in 'Archery' started by shauny, Jan 12, 2017.

1. shauny

shauny Major Poster

looking for a nice field bow.been using a take down for years,ali riser wood /glass limbs,but not very pretty.
    i fancy something a bit more traditional.not keen on the yank flatbows tho.
    need to be able to draw to 32", at around 40 to 50lb draw. dont need more as only on targets.
    any one got/had something worth going for?
    ta s.

2. Samobaggins

Samobaggins Keyboard Hero

A slight hijack of the thread! If you into your archery and tinkering,which we know you are take a look a back yard bowyer on y#ut#be he makes bows from pvc pipe and the are cracking! Different strength and styles.

3. Paddler

Paddler Donator

South Devon where the cream goes on first!
    My friend is into his archery, he has some lovely ones on his man cave wall... If I get the chance and remember I'll run that question past him.
    I have an old bent /set lemonwood Slazenger ...sadly makes it to dangerous to string. :(

4. shauny

shauny Major Poster

i had one years ago,it broke one day on full draw!!!:eek:

5. shauny

shauny Major Poster

have been watching a lad on u tube in nz who makes em.im sure they must have a better quality of plastic pipe over there.dont think i would fancy using one made from pipe we have over here!

6. Samobaggins

Samobaggins Keyboard Hero

I'm going to give it a go as I have some lengths of pipe laying around. I'll let you know how I get on.

7. nav2009

nav2009 Donator

Shauny, consider making one yourself a longbow out of wood, i've made quite a few out of elm, ash and yew, I've also made composite bows from glass fibre and wood, made the arrows myself from dowel, fletched them with goose and made my own bodkins too.
    Elm is hard to come across but I came across some ash and yew at work. I've made longbows from Yew in the traditional medieval style which basically has two thirds heart wood and a third sap wood in a naturally occuring laminate. The heart wood resists compression and the sap wood resists tension which results in a massively powerful bow. A 50LB yew bow has twice more power than a elm or ash for example. I got my yew from a church yard because the church asked for their yew tree cutting back so I ended up with a log six inches wide and 7 feet long from which the lads in the workshop at work cut me about 6 limbs of which only 2 were suitable because of knots etc. I made 2 full length tranditional bows from them, you leave the sap wood alone which was on the outside of the tree then you shape the heart wood till its about twice the thickness of the sap wood. There is loads on the web about it if you want to learn.
    There is nothing better than loosing a medieval longbow you have made yourself with arrows you made yourself. Its part of our history.

8. nav2009

nav2009 Donator

9. shauny

shauny Major Poster

i have shot trad english longbows previously,up to 100lb draw, but even at that sort of draw weight,the big old arrows seem to take forever to get anywhere.prefer a flatter shooting bow for use on the 3d animals. some of the guys used to use longbows,but on some of the wooded sections, they were just not able to elevate enough without hitting tree branches etc.

10. nav2009

nav2009 Donator

Yes the arrows were big and heavy and not as fast as the recurve bows i've had. My lad and I bought a pair of Hoyt recurves and we did target shooting for a few month before he broke his arm in 2 places. He never got back into it and we sold them. The arrows we used were Easton Eclipses and were about £7 each fletched and tipped, they left the bow sharpish.
    When I was in the archery shop I always had my eye on one particular compound that struck my eye. It was only £140 and was a nice fast bow called a Mathews Genesis.

11. shauny

shauny Major Poster

there are some cracking compounds out there,but its a bit like airguns,i like springers, pcps dont do it for me, bit like recurves and compounds. prefer the simple
    set up, bare bow with no sights.much more of a challenge.

12. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member