1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

any black powder revolver guys here

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by nath92, May 14, 2015.

1. nath92

nath92 Donator

Hi all , for sometime now I have had a fascination with black powder revolvers , I hold FAC for rim and centrefire calibres , and would love to at the very least here from someone who shoots these , I've looked on the internet incl YouTube , been in touch with my local firearms office and have found out the basic requirments to acquire bp revolver basically target shooting and I have to be a member of a club so I'm searching for one local to me , if anyone is kind enough to share I would love to here whatever you have to say on here or via pm your time is much appreciated thanks in advance
    Atb
    Nath

2. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

My shooting buddy used have 3 or 4 BP pistols and built a smoke pole Muzzel Loader rifle on a 12 bore action just like the modern American ones.

But gave it all up and I quote Oliver "such a pain in the *** to clean after every use" and they were. I remember him having to strip the hole gun and wash it in boiling water as the salt in the black powder was so corrosive, you dare not put it away without a clean.

Good luck in your quest as I can not help you.

Andrew

3. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

They are good to shoot & can be very accurate with the correct load.You won't get many shots off but the loading is part of the fun if you like experimenting & casting your own ammo.

4. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Posting Addict

Hi,
    I have been a black powder shooter all my life. Great fun.
    Go to "Muzzle Loading Association of GB" and I am sure they will help you with a local club where you will be able to have a go before taking the plunge.
    Don't be put off by the stories of cleaning, its not really that bad and you don't have to strip revolvers down completely.
    Good luck.
    Peter.

5. tisme

tisme Donator

I've got a colt walker and a Rogers and Spencer love shooting them. Easy way to clean them is the dish washer and lots of oil after. I shoot both with triple 7 as its easier to clean and you don't need a black powder licence etc.

6. nath92

nath92 Donator

Thanks you all for your help advice etc ,now am I right in assuming I need a variation to my FAC with a black powder revolver of choice calibre ? As well as a black powder license ? Sorry for silly questions but this side of FAC is new to me , thanks again all
    Atb
    Nath

7. Peter Norris

Nath92 - Yes you will need a specific variation and a BP Licence. They will not grant a variation unless you are a member of a recognised club. Once you have overcome the initial hassle its all very easy.
    Have a look at the range of pistols made by Uberti, reasonable quality. There are some other rough ones around. Or you can have a single shot pistol - look at Pedersoli A1 quality and you may even fancy a ML loading rifle?
    If you can buy new then you will not suffer from somebody else's possible neglect. See tismes post above, he uses a BP substitute which does not require a specific licence or storage box. As I said before try and have a go first.
    Peter.

8. nath92

nath92 Donator

Thanks again peter and yes I'm going g to have a go and definatley want my own revolver that may get me onto a a muzzle loading rifle but we will see , now as for as calibre concerned is there a better one or does it just come down to preference as all that's going to be shot is paper ? As for as price is concerned what would I be looking at new or second hand for say an uberti 1860 navy/army ect or is it colt ? Lol just as an idea rough ballpark
    Thanks again
    Atb
    Nath

9. Peter Norris

I prefer 44. For new prices try the internet (Henry Krank?). For second hand/new try the ******* sales site.
    If in the end you go for second hand only buy from an RFD who will give you a guarantee or somebody you know and trust in the club you will have to join.
    Anyway, that is a long way off.......
    You will need another £80 approximately for bits and pieces. You will see what is needed when you visit a club and watch.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Peter.

Admin - apologies I did not realise I could not post that site name.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  10. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

I shoot a Remington copy in .44, its an old Uberti one made in the 70's (westerners arms) . Mines very accurate and it was the first fac pistol that I bought.

Yes they do need cleaning, but they are good fun!

John

11. tisme

tisme Donator

That looks nice.
    .44 cal is the way to go but like already said find a club and have a shoot, its a lot of effort but I find it lots of fun.

12. nath92

nath92 Donator

Thanks again chaps , that is a beautiful revolver , exactly what I have in mind I think the nearest club is Blackburn rifle and pistol club so looks like a visit is on the cards to see what's what , thanks again chaps atb
    Nath

13. masha

masha Engaging Member

Shot black powder rifles for years, if you choose a quality powder like Swiss the cleaning us easy,I use car widow wash with water,or use soapy water, dunno why folks say they are a ball ache to clean, sooner clean black powder over a modern barrel any day,ganging around for copper solvent to do its stuff.