1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Anti tamper......

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jay5488, Feb 4, 2014.

1. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

So as some of you will know I've recently delved into the black art of PCP shooting, and upon using the search I realise this subject has been done to death, but bear with me please.

I've had a small issue with my BSA Ultra, not a big enough complaint to throw my teddy out, more of a slight qc concern.

After speaking, at length, to BSA they have shunned my complaint and as such I'm not bothered about this and as I said to them "you can stick your warranty up your a**e"!!!!!!

Any way I need to remove my anti tamper to remove the pellet probe, cannot be done without removal, and I'm just asking for a little help.

I know how to remove it on the earlier MMC version but mine is slightly different, I appreciate that this may be done by pm only and I also will make sure the rifle is well within the law. Which leads to my next question, is my rifle still legal with the anti tamper removed or do I need to re seal it when I'm finished??? Just not sure on this point and a search didn't reveal too much.

Thanks for any help offered or if this is a touchy subject, admin, please feel free to remove it.

Many thanks

Jamie

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

What's your concern mate?

3. mattyts

mattyts Donator

It would be legal with it removed,just not if it's running hot but if it is running above 12 ft/lbs and it has been removed you're probably gonna be in deeper trouble than if it was still intact.

4. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

This is my point, I'm not touching anything to do with the power, it's running around 10.6 lb ft and when reassembled this will be checked, as I always keep an eye on power!!!
    Just worried if I can get done for removing the AT or leaving it open to abuse by not replacing the AT!!

5. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

AT is a waste of time, it is my responsibility to keep my rifle legal!

So I removed mine:)

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Nothing wrong with removing it,it's there as a safety net for manufacturers and probably yourself but removing it would ensure your rifle was legal as you could fine tune it to sit a safe distance away from the limit (Ours does 11.4 on a warm day with bis mags)

7. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

I absolutely appreciate what your saying and agree with you 100%, however, I really want to avoid what will inherently turn into a what's right and what's wrong, just want to know the legalities surrounding the removal.....

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

It's absolutely fine in removing it,nothing against the law that says you can't.just always check it's legal

9. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

As Matty said above!

I was told by John Bowkett that the anti tamper was an industry standard introduced to cover their own arses and to verify that guns leaving the factory were the correct power, You are now responsible for the gun and should be testing periodically and keeping it within legal parameters (lots of people without skill and knowledge send their guns or take them to their RFD to be tweaked) If you can do this yourself then power to you! :up:

I know where the low level power adjuster is on my r10 after being showed how to adjust it, should it creep up near the limit I know exactly how to rectify it!

10. Uriel

Uriel Engaging Member

Here's your straight answer...

It is not illegal for you to remove the anti-tamper stuff from your rifle, end of. You cannot be prosecuted, publicly flogged, put in the stocks, or run out of town for doing so.

As has been previously stated, the AT is not there for your sake, but the airgun manufacturer's.

You would only need to worry if you were nicked for having a gun that's running over the legal limit; if it did so and you had removed the AT, you would be in deepest doodoo.

Your best bet is to tweak it to an absolute maximum of 11.5 ft/lbs with the heaviest pellet you can find (allowing for the one really heavy pellet in the tin, of course). Anything lighter that you use thereafter will be sub 11.5 ft/lbs.

11. critter

critter Donator

Hello there, I'm having my gun serviced and also having the AT removed. This is being done by a gunsmith so i think that this should answer your question with any doubt removed. Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

As Stated many times AT is a Voluntary Action by UK Air Gun Trade

It is Not a Legal Requirement

But removing it from a New Gun will invalidate Gun's Warrenty

As will any major work on a New Air Gun under Warrenty

Several Manufactures Will remove it on Gun being ordered or returned for other work - On owners request

Manufactures in General Do Not supply even authrorised Gun Smiths with AT Service Kits

Also as Most PCP's are Batch Tested - there is always a Chance that they will come out Hot

Reason I and others State you should get it Chronoed with your Choice of Pellets
    Before parting with payment.

BOB/R

13. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I bought a 2007 Rapid last year that had not been tampered with (a minor miracle in itself). The factory AT was still in place, however the gun was running very consistently at 14 ft lb, so how the hell AT covers a manufacturer I will never know.

Furthermore the warranty you have is not with BSA, it is with the gun shop that sold you the gun. If it is not right, take it back and get them to fix it or replace it!

14. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

Thanks for the replies, as I've said, the power is at 10.5 lb ft and will be staying at this as I'm not touching anything to do with the power, it gets chronod regular, I do keep an eye on this!!!!
    Warranty isn't a problem, again they can stick it, if they don't want to help I'll do it myself, i know it's done right then!!!!!

Thanks for all your help.

Jamie

Mods, feel free to lock this I case it "wanders" off topic

15. kev02

kev02 Well-Known Member

[QUO
    TE=Stevie76;1031269]AT is a waste of time, it is my responsibility to keep my rifle legal!

So I removed mine:)[/QUOTE]

Hi yes I agree with stevie I removed mine aswell.
    Atb kkev02 :)

16. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

There are plenty of pre AT rifles out there....thats what i buy :D...if i did get a AT rifle it would be removd straight away...as said its OUR responsibility to stay within the law...i have heard many times of new rifles having to go back to the manufacturer to get turned down or indeed up....to much hassle...much easier to be able to keep it in check yourself.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

Easy thing for air arms rifles is to buy some M3 6mm long torx/pin screws to replace the shear bolt. It has an anti tamper device on then. However the law says must not be able to exceed which in reality all pcp's can, so all very vague as to what is and isn't right apart from the limit. Also if you have an anti tamper fitting that isn't a shear bolt there is no reason that the police can't remove it themselves turn the gun up and secure themselves a nice little prosecution for their figures as after all how would you prove they didn't. The whole A/T and muzzle energy limit is a minefield that won't ever be sorted unless someone wins a court case over failure with the factory anti tamper still intact. This would then at least lead to specific guidelines in law as to where responsibility truly lies. After all as it stands it's your responsibility but the manufacturers have acted to prevent you complying easily and the removal of their control method leaves you in a tricky position of you can turn it down but they can turn it up. And all that before the argument of whose chronograph reads the correct figure as there is no leeway in the law but the machines all have an error of +/- a percentage of the recorded value, and what yours says won't be taken into account.

18. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

Bet you wished you never asked now.

19. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Long time poster

Actually Secret mole, the warranty is with BSA or the manufacturer. But under the Sales of Goods Act 1979, the onus is on the retailer for the first year to arrange to get a rifle fixed by the manufacturer. Many retailers will tell you otherwise to save them the bother. Some manufacturers will collect a faulty rifle under warranty though and return it to you fixed.

Now as for the first part of your post you state "The factory AT was still in place, however the gun was running very consistently at 14 ft lb, so how the hell AT covers a manufacturer I will never know." This is a prime example of why AT is very very good for the manufacturer and retailer and not very good for the customer. The AT is not covering the seller or maker you see. They only need to fit it and sell the gun with it on. (Well actually they don't have to coz it's not law) but what they are doing is putting the lawful burden onto the customers shoulders. Only you, the owner, the person found with a section 1 firearm over the legal limit will face a judge. There are no mitigating circumstances either because the law is an absolute law. The user is responsible, not the seller or manufacturer. Good ain't it?

I recommend removal of the AT and maintain the rifle in a legal state. Being found with an above the legal limit rifle with AT intact is also going to end with a prosecution because the law does not recognise AT nor did it request it.

20. smithys

smithys Busy Member

I hate anti tamper, to me I like to fettle an hone each gun from crude factory made too smoothed out and running sweet, anti tamper was a waste of time in my mind, even with or without we are responsable for our guns, myself I have no anti tampers at all, my guns have been tuned and smoothed out to there best potential an so much better than grude factory mass produced.

Weimarador and bucketboy like this.