1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Another Photon question

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by neiled, May 26, 2014.

1. neiled

neiled Donator

I'm trying to get my Photon set up so that I'm happy to use it but it looks like I'm only going to be using it for night time use and replace it with a standard scope for daytime use. I've tried fitting an end cap with various hole sizes and red filters etc. but the day time view still isn't good enough for me.

Another thing with it is that the view through the eyepiece has the bottom quarter or so of the screen blacked out (pictured below taken from a youtube review showing the same problem) so is the norm or have I done something or not done something either right/wrong?

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

It's often because you need to get the photon set up roughly on the target by the way you mount it before you wind the turrets to get zero.
    You may have wound your turret too far.
    Re centre the turret to check, count the clicks as you go then you can put it back.
    If you can get a workmate to your zero range and clamp the gun down it makes it very simple to centre the photon to the point of impact without winding the turrets.
    Cheers Andy

3. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Re the screen being blacked out. If you are brave enough, there are 4 allen bolts holding collars which in turn clamp and align the front part of the yukon to the rear telescopic part. I stood my scope vertical on a level glass surface (fat end down) and placed another glass coffee mat on the eyepiece end with a small spirit level to measure up/down and left/right. It was off by quite a bubble.
    My scope had been bumped at some stage and was off centre. I slackened off these 4 allen, re centred everything and re tightened up the bolts. This cleared up the left/right/up/down block of black nothingness from eating up the view. Still don't like the yukon photon though. Mine is up for sale. :)

Oh yes, make sure the turret adjustments are centred first as well.

4. neiled

neiled Donator

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to have to remove it and get the turrets centralised and then rezero it on the gun once again, not a good start for the Photon!

5. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

It's because the viewing screen is shifted instead of the fixed crosshairs, this means there has to be space around it for it to move into.

Shim up the rear mount with pieces of masking tape as required underneath the scope tube then re-zero to move the screen down a little.
    Masking tape doesn't compress as easily or go as squidgy as vinyl tape.

6. neiled

neiled Donator

Ah, so it's the whole screen itself that moves then? I'll try the masking tape suggestion.

Thanks David

7. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

Yes, what shims around shims around ;)

8. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I know this is not an answer to the question, but I was thinking of getting one, as they are not getting a very good rep, will stick to my IR monocular for spotting, then just lamp the rabbits with my day scope, if they manage to improve them, then I may get one. Hope you get yours sorted. Atb, Bob.

9. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

You are missing the main gain about them Bob - that they can often be used to stalk up on and even shoot the quarry without using ANY artificial illumination.

They have a very good rep Bob -but built to a budget - and what a budget too compared to what other dedicated rigs cost.

It's an inescapable fact of nature that pellets and bullets fall lower than the height of the scope.

The producers could have charged more for the rig and built that compensation in I suppose.... but an improved one will likely cost a LOT more money.

EDIT: One of these is better and cheaper, especially if you have a spare SLR lens and build it yourself:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dave-G/media/SOMEBLOKESCCTV_zps9127f501.jpg.html?sort=3&o=121

10. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

oh i do like that,

11. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

photons are cracking n/v scopes just need a bit of time to get use to using and adding a different front cap for daytime/night time, and it has a very good yukon warranty so if your keeping yours and have a problem send it back dont try do yourself as if you had to return in future they could void it, if you bought from local RFD get them to do save you posting cost.

12. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I supose the onley way to form an opinion on them, would be to try one, but my main concern would be, are they too delicate to use on my TX springer, £300+ is a lot of money, if it did not work out. Has any one got one on a springer. Atb to all, Bob.

13. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello bob, have a look at the specifications to see if shockproof, or contact thomas jacks at stratford upon avon the importer

14. neiled

neiled Donator

Not sure about a springer but they're ok to use with rimfire and centerfire so I would think they'd be ok with it.

15. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

OUCH. :D

I wouldn't like to answer that one - but I wouldn't attempt to use a springer for NV.