1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Another 1980 HW35e

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by cloverleaf, May 9, 2015.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

A while ago I sold a slightly tatty 1980 HW35e in .22. My reasoning was that I couldn't be faffed with sorting it out; despite my best intentions to start with.

Now I find myself in possession of another slightly tatty 1980 HW35e in .22 :eek:

It has a leather piston seal and is doing around 10.4ftlb with Falcons. I doubt it had ever been to bits before I removed the trigger block to get some oil to the sticky safety.

It's all in one piece but the bluing is thin on the barrel and cylinder (I think where light corrosion has been removed in the past), plus there are a few small spots on the cylinder yet to be dealt with. The stock has numerous dings (the worst of which are on the underside of the fore-end) but is in one piece.

I put some standing shots through it at 20yd with the irons and actually managed to get 5 or so shots into maybe a 1p sized group. The firing manners are pretty good too - no spring noise and it doesn't jump about too much considering the fat 30mm piston.

Anyway, not sure what to do with it yet.. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    rabbitwrecker and The Robin like this.
  2. uncleboob

uncleboob Engaging Member

Looks like an ace project, tbh looking at the pics it looks in better condition than most of my guns! I'm still looking for a nice 35 so if you get bored, let me know!

3. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

Looks a decent example really,i have seen & have a lot worse.:)

4. Dag

Dag Very Active

I'm now wondering how old my 35E .22 must be as it doesn't have the screw in the butt pad nor any white lines. I still haven't found the serial number either....must strip it down again and get all the black paint off!
    Then again why should I worry, it is doing 5p groups at approx 20 yds and in windy conditions yesterday I was hitting half inch circles at 30 yds. Lovely rifle, and now has Tinbum guides and barrel shroud.
    Dag
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  5. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Always loved the hw35.....classic airgun

6. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Always loved the look of the 35 but that's as far as it goes. Always found them hard work to get decent power and not a fan of the way they shoot. It's competition at the time was the Fwb 124/127 that kicked it's ass in all respects apart from the trigger and was much smaller in comparison. To break into the U.S. Market required a whole new gun to be designed in the form of the hw80 but again a big beast.

7. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

Dag,your stock is a late stock & appears to be a 35s.

8. Dag

Dag Very Active

Thanks for that info, how late is late? What was different about an 35S compared with a 35E?
    Dag

9. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

The difference is the stock & on early versions there was a barrel size option,you could also get a HW35s with 22" barrel.I would think early nineties to present for your style with the flat pistol grip.You should have the 2 sided safety catch & 3 arrestor holes.

10. cloverleaf

Thanks guys :)

Agree with all of that tbh. I just like to think of it as a collectable and useable design classic; if not being the last word in refinement. It must also be remembered that the '35 pre-dates the FWB by around 30yrs too; and I'd consider the HW80 to be a better all-round proposition than the FWB.

While undoubtedly a good rifle (especially when considered against contemporary offerings) tbh have never been a big fan of the FWB due to it's crude (and breakage-prone) trigger and safety assy..

Interesting stuff - was thinking that it didn't look a whole lot like an "e". Wasn't aware of the "s" variant, though :)

11. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

I like the 35 range for the wide variety of little differences with in the models & are plentiful .I also like the Sport but agree on the weak spots the Rekord of the HW has to be the best standard trigger ever to go in an air rifle.
    As for the 80 it may not be the best rifle out there but deserves the King of springers for its huge power plant diverse use & will rarely let you down.
    HW almost cracked it with the HW85K in 1986 but should have gone with the dove tail instead of the raised scope rail like BSF did.

12. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Very nice project there, I've never shot a 35 but they look a great little rifle :up:

13. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Tatty??? I have seen a lot worse,or is it your expert camera skills?????

14. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    Looks a half decent rifle looked others have said a later 35e stock ,but how does it shoot the all important question.I find the 35 a rifle that you can do something with,

15. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Hi Robin

The 35 is anything but a 'Little' rifle! ;)

They're big, bulky and Long!! Even the standard non Export versions seem long to me!! :cool::cool:

John :)

16. cloverleaf

Pics sorted.

This rifle's pretty much right at the pointy end of the "maybe I should sell it" queue, however every time I look at / handle / shoot it I question how I ever could as it's such a nice old thing.. :facepalm:

pjgtech likes this.
  17. Wofty

Wofty 'This is the way'

Don't sell it!
    I have the same, a 1980 Export with the super barrel.
    For me it's the quintessential essence of classics springers. Pick it up and plink away with opens. Everything is mechanically pleasing and organically fitting.
    It's just a pleasure to have.

cloverleaf likes this.
  18. cloverleaf

I reckon 1979/1980 must have been bumper years for the '35e as half those for sale seem to date from this period. I also have a minty example of the same age in .177; however the stock's more bland and its fine condition somehow detracts from its charm.

I agree about the 35's appeal; to me it looks like the epitome of the break-barrel spring air rifle.. what everyone who knows nothing about airguns imagines when you say "air rifle". This one's seeming all the more honest and legit for its worn finish, light dings and occasional light patch of corrosion. It's not terrible to fire either; although being left-handed the barrel latch gets on my tits somewhat..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Wofty likes this.
  19. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

You've got to love a 35 and that's a beauty... :up:

cloverleaf likes this.