1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

An Eye Opener

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by WhyteCat, Feb 15, 2020.

1. WhyteCat

WhyteCat Engaging Member

Last week, through my AA S400 I tested 3 pellets - AA Fields weight 8.4gr, AA Express weight 7.87gr & JSB RS weight 7.33gr.

The ft lbs were 10.85, 10.84 & 10.62 respectively.

Today I tested JSB heavies @ 10.34 grains (tin weight) & the ft lbs was 11.92 !!

Now that surprised me - ran the test again & the same, that’s a real eye opener.

So WOW for the ft lbs & OH NO is the rifle a bit hot to trot ? - the question now is, is there a pellet out there that would give me even more ft lbs ??? Not that I want it !

Blue BSA, Blackmax and Redcap 114 like this.
  2. Figgy

Figgy Posting Addict

Can you measure the actual head sizes of the heavy pellets compared to the others?
    Try cleaning your barrel too.
    Smaller heads go quicker.

Blue BSA likes this.
  3. Barry J

Barry J Busy Member

Yes! QYS streamline. It put my s400 Classic way over, just over 11 with Exacts and 12.4 with streamlines, that was tested on 3 different Chronos. I actually rang AA and asked to speak to a tech regarding this and his technical answer was ‘just don’t use them if they are putting you over’, very technical answer that!

4. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

I always test with Bisley Magnums 10.65 as well as JSB Heavy and this week I got a surprise with JSB Monster 13.34 there is also a JSB Beast 16.2

Blue BSA and Blackmax like this.
  5. Figgy

Figgy Posting Addict

Worth checking will all heavy and light pellets the police can use whatever they want so long as it can be bought.
    Only have to buy a tin of 4.5 or heads smaller than this and your going to catch some out.

Gets silly as a new pellet could come out be hopelessly inaccurate never to get used in mainstream shooting but fly fast and push guns over and lots could be unwittingly caught out.
    A standard should be in place with one pellet used for power testing and setting a gun up.

6. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Posting Addict

The 10.34 JSB has a B.C. of .030- .031, anything w/ higher B.C. could quite probably up the ante. 8.44 B.C. only .021....

7. WhyteCat

WhyteCat Engaging Member

I always get 4.52 as rightly or wrongly presume the tighter the fit the more efficient through the barrel - correct me if I’m wrong.

Yes just what is the test ??

Barry J - what are the weight of the streamlines ?

Sagalout - have you the test result of the monsters & beasts ?

Cheers

8. Chouchin66

Pellet head only needs to just " kiss" the lands, the skirt obdurates to make a proper seal... A tight head = more friction / possibly less power.

BallisticBill and Figgy like this.
  9. Figgy

Figgy Posting Addict

As above friction is your enemy, less friction more speed and power. The skirt is the air seal and also imparts spin from the rifling. Head only needs to touch.
    Look at the QYS pellets with small heads, people are finding them accurate. Probably faster too.

10. John Entwistle

John Entwistle Busy Member

The skirt looks to seal at a tighter angle on the QYS ( to my aged eyes ) thar might be why they fly so well less friction but still a good seal

11. Barry J

Barry J Busy Member

QYS streamline are 9.56 and 4.49mm, they are so accurate in my s400 I’ve turned the power down to 11.6 when using them, if I ever have to go back to jsbs or something else I’ll just turn it up.

12. Figgy

Figgy Posting Addict

You will be over the limit with the QYS or a loose heavy pellet.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  13. Chouchin66

Shooting the smallest head size, that will still be graved by the rifling will be generally be most efficient, just enough contact to prevent yaw, in the barrel ... Thus going through the choke, askew... Compromising accuracy.

Figgy likes this.
  14. Figgy

Figgy Posting Addict

Chouch we could have a pellet that falls into the breech yet gets its head spun by the choke.

I now check buy pushing a pellet through the barrel and feel for how tight they are.

Chouchin66 likes this.
  15. Barry J

Barry J Busy Member

almost certainly! When I had the chat with the “AA engineer” and he told me not to use QYS I suggested to him that they are freely available therefore you are selling guns that will be over the UK limit, I also asked him what pellet they use to test their guns, he said he couldn’t tell me as it’s a secret and they don’t test with pellets anyway........ at that point I hung up..:facepalm:

Wewekokowe likes this.
  16. sagalout

sagalout What a plinker!

The Beast was ok, around the same as the Heavy at mid 11's, the Monster was a good 11.9+ and that's all I've got to say about that :eek:

WhyteCat and Figgy like this.
  17. Figgy

Figgy Posting Addict

What a right tit.
    I been thinking a standardized BB of exactly 4.5mm & 8.1grains be used for power testing for legal purposes, set to say 11.5fpe. if this was the case we would all be much safer as we know variables in pellets is a nightmare. If a pellets did creep over it wouldn't be by much to make much difference or the over all the time.

@sagalout we know what mean 11.9 + I've been there in testing. As I guess we all have.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  18. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Never thought to test over the chrono with diffo pellets, the only time I use different ones is when I'm looking for my go-to pellet for tight groups. I think they're 15.9 grain the .22 RWS Superfields and they come out around 11.4 ft/lb very similar to the JSB Exacts that Hull Cartridge used to test my HW100 when it went back for maintenance.

19. Dayrth

Dayrth Engaging Member

Weigh your pellets before testing. You could have a tin that's lighter than the weight on the lid, which would give you false higher readings. I had the opposite problem with a tin of QYS, consistently low fps. I weighed them and found they were all heavier than the supposed weight by a significant margin.

WhyteCat likes this.
  20. WhyteCat

WhyteCat Engaging Member

Hmmm, so a re test with 4.49’s or 4.50’s would be interesting with monsters & everything :) - which the nerd in me loves !

I have always gone 4.52 as when I bought the rifle as thats what was recommended & I have to say accuracy with AA fields was spot on. But we all like a bit of nerdy/anorak stuff I like to think o_O Seriously though this is an education first hand, all part of gaining the knowledge :thumb:

Dayrth and Chouchin66 like this.