1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives To Sig Mcx/mpx Airguns.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by c4four, Jun 17, 2018.

1. c4four

c4four Active Member

Are there any alternative revolver-rifles that mimic the look of a conventional firearm, are reasonably priced and aren't extremely low quality. The mcx looks great, but it is almost twice the price in the UK as it is everywhere else; I'm not willing to pay ~£350 for a rifle worth ~£150-£200 from what I have seen. Also, I'm not interested in co2 bb guns.

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I'd agree with your assessment of these rifles - grossly overpriced and pretty shonky IMO.

The only other things I can think of are the "Beretta CX4" (which uses the same systems and IIRC originates from the same Japanese source, so won't be much better) and the Crosman 1077; which again is cheap and cheerful but not as eye-wateringly, p*ss-takingly expensive.

3. c4four

c4four Active Member

I have considered those. I'm only interested in them for plinking and the fact that it is similar in appearance to a real gun is one of the big selling points. Sadly, I can't justify paying that much money. And yes, I am aware that the cx4 is based on a real gun, but not a 'conventional' looking gun

4. Rn76

Rn76 Busy Member

I bought the 1077 for my lad and I must admit I really enjoy shooting it.

5. Geezer

Geezer Posting Addict

Clover has, as usual, covered the bases. The Umarex "Beretta" is superficially quite nice (I got one cheap a few months ago, haven't actually shot it yet, but my other half thought it was "cool"), but reportedly suffers from dodgy seals and magazine-related malfunctions - though a lot of the latter may well be user-induced. It uses a similar belt/chain mag to the "SIGs".

The 1077 is good value and reliable. Best of the bunch. If not in a hurry, I'd hold out for an older rifled-barrel wood stock version. Otherwise, just buy the cheapest, stick a red dot on it and blat away.

In around 2005-10, Crosman also made the N1200 Nightstalker, a Beretta Storm lookalike with a 12-shot cylinder shared with the 1077. Never examined one. Only a few years in production, so either not popular or had issues, or both.

You may be able to find the pellet-firing Gamo copy of the Brugger and Thonet MP9 SMG (originally the Steyr TMP). Crawley Surplus Store may have them. I think they are basically a re-shelled PT-85 pistol, but that may not be a totally bad thing.

In the States, you can get pellet-firing cylinder-mag copies of the M14 and M16 from "Winchester", but I don't think they are offered over here and in any case they appear to have reliability issues.

The Baikal MP651K pistol can be found offered with a fake barrel extension, shoulder stock, and prismatic sight. Don't do it (I did). It is a rather nice cheap CO2 pellet pistol, but a very odd carbine.

That's about it, to my knowledge.

There are of course a bunch of replicas in "semi-auto" BB form (Mini-Uzi, MP5K, Yunkers, AK, etc) and in single shot pellet form (eg Crosman multi-pump or break-barrel lookalikes of the M16A4, M4, SCAR).

cloverleaf likes this.
  6. cloverleaf

Fair enough.. I'd make an effort to get over the "real gun" thing though - airguns aren't imaginary (;)) and much of the stuff that trades off looking like something it's absolutely not is usually fairly crap.

If you can find one I reckon you'd be much better off with a Drulov Eagle - 5-shot true semi-auto and infinitely more accurate and well made than any of the wannabe Rambo stuff like the Sig ;)

Devonair likes this.
  7. c4four

c4four Active Member

Isn't true semi-auto illegal here?

8. cloverleaf

"Self loading" firearms are prohibited unless chambered for .22LR or are smoothbore (shotguns); whether this applies to airguns or not has been an area of massive contention in the past.

One could argue that due to the way they function the Drulov variants could be classified as "self loading", however they're no longer sold new, aren't common, have no history of criminal mis-use and (sadly, probably most importantly) do not present a threat to any existing "British" made products that might give someone in the the industry an agenda in seeing them banned.

9. c4four

c4four Active Member

I was just considering that. Are .22 pellets considered to be the same caliber as .22 lr rounds? And (a bit off-topic) could a real gun chambered in a higher caliber cycle as a double-action revolver and be considered legal? If so, I think there would be a big market for revolver-rifles here.

10. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

.22 rimfire not .22LR. WMR for instance being Uk legal and used by many in semi auto format.
    .22 pellets while roughly the same size as .22 rimfire bullets caliber wise they are not considered the same for the law on semi auto.

It’s doubtful how much use a revolver type rifle would be compared to other action types it would have serious inaccuracies and limitations.
    Have a look at LBR if you are interested in full bore revolvers.
    https://firearmsuk.org/firearms-shotguns-other/long-barrel-revolvers/
    Where are you in the country.? I suggest you go to a club or out with a member and shoot some guns before spending your money.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  11. cloverleaf

As R10hunter has said there's no comparability in law between .22LR and any airgun pellets.

Double-action long-barrelled pistols are available in all manner of centrefire calibres, however the market for a rifle of this format is extremely limited (despite the fact that someone probably makes one - anyone remember the Brocock Sabata?).

Pedant! But yeah, I admit you're absolutely correct!

Anyway, I'm off as all this talk of "real" guns is giving me a headache..

r10hunter likes this.
  12. c4four

c4four Active Member

sorry for my use of that term. I must remember it is a stupid thing to say.

13. c4four

c4four Active Member

I am not saying that I am looking to buy a firearm, I was just speculating. Also I am in wales at the moment and there is only one extremely exclusive gun club where I live and they don't rent guns.