1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

ALROS Trailsman.

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by Tinbum, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

Its collectable to me, so its going in here!

I've always had a soft spot for fold up, break down, James Bond/ Day of the Jackal type rifles. The Brocock fox was the ultimate, but sadly section 5 now.:( Air Arms have done the TDR, but that doesn't float my boat. I've owned a couple of Stealths, stupid, pointless, hateful rubbish! I can't think why I bought a second one?

Enter the Arlos Trailsman.... When these appeared in the early 90's I was about 20 years old and in no position to buy such an expensive rifle, but with a proper break down ability, a tool roll to hold it all and Walther accuracy, I had aspirations of buying the co2 version. At least I wouldn't have to buy a bottle! They then promptly went bust!

On Sunday I was sat in the camper van on The Lizard when I got a text from a member on here. "Alros Trailsman just gone up on <that other forum>"

It arrived today!:D It's just as good as I'd hoped it would be. This one is in good condition and still has its roll up bag, as well as the optional deluxe stainless bolt option. As an added bonus it has a period Kassnar 3-9x50 WA TV view scope. Lovely! It took seconds to put together, and in no time I was running a string over the chrono.
    From 200bar I was hoping for 30 usable shots, but what I got was shot one at 809fps (.177) and then a consistent drop every shot until at 30 it was at just 539fps! Something was very wrong!:(

A bit of googling showed me that 10-10.5fpe is a realistic output. It must be overstrung! I chopped the hammer spring, made the worlds smallest top hat and spring guide, polished and lubed the hammer and rebuilt it.
    This time the first shot was 720fps which rose to 730 by shot three. From there to shot 25 they were all between 730 & 740fps before dropping once more to 709 by shot 30. I'm calling that a success for now, but I'm replacing the O rings and polishing the TP over the weekend.

My hope is to do some zeroing and take it out for a spot of armed rambling over my nearest permission this weekend, and try to capture the feeling I always imagined shooting with this gun would give me.:)

2. Johnc61

Johnc61 Donator

Got any pics? Sounds interesting.......

3. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

Congrats mate, which one is it you bought? Buddy bottle version or tube? Some picture would be cool :p

4. Tinbum

I haven't taken any pics myself yet, but here's a couple from the ad I bought it off.

Its the cylinder PCP single shot version. I love the straight lines and simple operation. Its a doddle to work on too!

5. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

That's a peach of a rifle and the tube versions much nicer than the buddy bottle one.
    Its Probably the best tdr for the break down size :) nice and compact!
    Did they ever make a mag for it to make it a multi shot?

6. Tinbum

Yes, the "Octoplus" system I think it was called. Eight shot (well duh!) rotary mag, I can't remember if it was auto or manual indexing, but there's so much room on this I may have a go at making one myself.......

7. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

Would be worth looking for one :) nice rifle but even better with the option of quick follow up shots ;)

8. mike hunt

mike hunt Well-Known Member

agreed with all the comments, i've got the bottle version in .22 and it's the only gun i've owned which i wouldn't part with

9. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

Auto indexing Tb.

It was a fixed magazine though so something of a marmite feature.

I saw you'd snapped that one up :cool:, looks very nice,and the tubed version is more in keeping with the ultra compact style of such a takedown gun IMO.

The bottle version (400) used a taller breech block which effectively lowered the "stock" meaning your chin ended up where your cheekbone should be! Most users employed some foam pipe lagging to make it a bit more comfortable and give an improved cheekweld without adding much weight.

Here's one of their old adverts if you've not seen it (2003)
    View attachment 102308

10. caddyman

caddyman Engaging Member

I really like the idea of the takedown rifles, nearly had on of the Saxby Palmer versions in the late 80's early 90's, but went for the bolt action rifle instead, still cant believe they are now fac!, those carts only ever worked half the time and output was always iffy.

Your rifle looks he proper job :up::)
    chris

11. Tinbum

Snapped it up? We're back in the self same field with the camper tonight, on Sunday I was running around trying to find a signal to send a message to buy it!
    I left it at home tonight and I'm missing it quite a lot!

I have a confession, when I'm feeling nostalgic and yearning for the good old days, I always seek out your CAPA profile where I can look up all those great ads from years gone by! The days before the dreaded AA S400 made PCP's so dull and tedious to look at. The days when you could buy a hokey TAC pistol (mail order) that always let you down, but you didn't care cos it looked and felt so right.

Anyway, I've found the loading channel is a bisexual unit, so I'm gonna find a donor .22 barrel and have that threaded as well so I have the full set!

12. 18 Wheeler

18 Wheeler Busy Member

Yep, they were simpler days. Up to '83 just about everyone had either an HW35 or a "Sport", those who really wanted to be different had a BSF 55, or Airsporter for the nostalgic brigade. Then came the 77...

Don't forget there was a .20 option for the Alros. Hopefully if your .177 is doing around 10.5 ft/lb it will still be legal in .22, or use the BSA multibarrel method of having a shorter .22 to keep it legal?

Hope the camping was fun, because I doubt it was dry. :up:

13. Tinbum

I took the Trailsman for a walk yesterday. Disappointment? I don't think so!!:D Its accurate, nice to shoot, fantastic to carry and seems better for standers than any other gun I own.