1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. No longer allowed Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- We now do not allow political and religion threads anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section) unless Airgun related and they must be put in the Airgun related politics section..

Staff will not move posts for you if you put it in the wrong section – it will simply be deleted. You will then have to type it all out again and put it in the right place, so heed this warning.

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question All the gear no idea?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Madgolfer12hc, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Madgolfer12hc

Madgolfer12hc Member

Hi all,

Was wondering how prevelant 'gear tart syndrome' is in PCP choice? I've had a few hobbies (ask the wife :D) and I see it in many different things from mountain biking to fishing where the gear starts to out perform the user but prestige starts to take over common sense.

I.E. I've been looking for a PCP and almost settled on a Theoben Rapid MK2, Daystate Ranger or a HW100, when I've trawled through many reviews I cant escape the 'up turned nose' at AA's, the elitism of Daystate users and the landrover type who own Theobens lol HW100's seems to escape it as it reasonably priced and everyone reccommends them.

Is there that much to seperate the brands or is it as I suspect a level playing field on rifles over 500 quid unless you are a very talented shooter?

2. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

As you say, Anything over £500 and you are paying for the name more than anything in all honesty.
    Dont let snobbery put you off a gun you like the look of.

I would take my S410 over any other rifle on the market be it a daystate or a HW100.

3. lewis850

lewis850 Keyboard Hero

you been on the drink titch ?? :D

4. Titchgamer

Not yet matey.

And I will stand by that comment.
    I will take my battered up S410 over a brand new HW100KT any day.
    And I have a HW100KT to.....

5. Madgolfer12hc

Madgolfer12hc Member

I thought that would be the case, I can get nice groups with my hw77 or the wifes s410 so couldn't see it would be any other way... I'm honest with myself though the only reason I want the Theoben is that I've got no kids, a disposable income and too much time on my hands.

Oh yeah and the reviews tell me to buy it (easily lead)

6. Titchgamer

I also have a FAC Rapid MK2...

Fantastic rifle, Very easy to work on and get parts for.

Only downside is it weighs a damn ton!!

7. hounded

hounded Honorary Member

Ditto with my AAs400 ever reliable regardless of the name on her , although she isn't battered more like spoilt like my dogs LOL :D

8. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

for quality, accuracy and reliability a hw100 is hard to beat, had a go of a few others including the newer 510tc and the 100 is still nicer. i know people with daystates who admit the hw100 does everything for less money but they like the looks and brand of the daystate.

9. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

if im honest, I'd take the BSA R10 over the hw, But i would never give up my trusty hw77!

10. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Somewhat predictably I'd recommend and Air Arms 400 series - unpretentious and very capable ;)

11. biggaz

biggaz Post Whore

the r10 wins on looks!

12. savageunion

savageunion Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I was buying an R10 but there seems to be supply issues so I went for an HW100S instead. Now I think the R10 is a much sexier looking rifle and is a great performer too but reading reviews etc the HW100 is up there with the more expensive rifles in terms of performance etc. So in terms of budget thats the only 2 I would go for as Daystate etc just seem so expensive to be honest. Probably excellent rifles but probably paying for the name too.

I think maybe some people going for 'bling' like to get the best they can, even if starting out, so they have kit that will 'grow' with them. For example if they want to hunt they may feel buying a springer isnt ideal as they would prefer eventually to build a hide, bolt action rifle for minimal movment etc, magazine fed and lie up for shooting ...for the beginner a rifle like that might be 'too much' but at least they can 'grow' into the rifle and its capaability etc gives versatility. I wouldnt for example pay £400 for a Air Arms TX200 springer when I could get an R10 for £200 more or so as I may look to sell the TX200 as I develop into the sport and lose money by selling second hand etc .... the R10 would give me more versatility although a bit more expensive and would cover most scenario's. So I am sure there are people that do buy for 'bling' but I also think people will buy the best they can afford for 'lastability' in terms of growing into and also giving them flexibility.

However some people I am sure still have 'all the kit, but are still a tit'

13. ths

ths Busy Member

I am one of those people then when they start in a sport/ hobbies they like to have the best kit you can afford. I see it as if you are still crap with the kit after a time then its you not your kit lol!

I bought an S400 Classic as my first proper air rifle and hated every minute of it and to this day I don't know why and I swapped it for a HW80K which I loved. Latest PCP was the HW100FSB .22 and by god it was a stunning gun, the balance was perfect, light and compact for swinging around the undergrowth. I have never really seen the point of having the big buddy bottle systems unless you are going in for FAC as when I go out rabbiting I might fire off tops 30/40 shots and even with the HW100's little bottle I still have another 40/30 shots in it before it drops off. But that was sold and now I have settled with a Sako Quad in Walnut in 22LR, 22WMR and a shotgun for my needs (for the time being).

If you can afford it mate then go for it as there isn't a lot of happiness left in the world lol and there is nothing like having a brand new spanker to start off with!
    Get the kit to go with it, deer hunter do some stunning jackets which are silent and so comfy, get some of the below trousers as well (I will be next month) some MacWet gloves and a nice hat.

Once you have purchased your new clothes you need to go outside and roll around for a bit so it looks like you have been using them for a while :D
    http://www.rbsporting.co.uk/product.php?xProd=233&xSec=19 << Jacket
    http://www.fotosense.co.uk/stealth-gear-extreme-photographers-trousers-2-size-l-30.html << Trousers

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  14. andy draper

andy draper Post Whore

To prevent "gear tart" spend £500 + on a gun £200+ on a scope £70+ on a bipod.Wait till it's a rainy day,trek across the muddiest field you can find,climb over the barbed wire fence jump the stream and slip fall into it with gun in hand.This is a surefire method of prevention,as only then will you appreciate the merits of a sub £300 set up.:D
    andy.

15. Madgolfer12hc

Madgolfer12hc Member

I thought I'd buy all the gear, turn up to the range and shoot tennis ball groups at 15 yards under the excuse I was dialing in the scope... or I could preshoot a card at home and do a quick sharp half when no one was looking and proclaim loudly my wonderful prowess ;)

16. ths

ths Busy Member

I forgot these as well:

Range finder as guessing 40 yards is hard :)
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/511/102456/mtc-optics-rapier-5-700-laser-rangefinder-or3/

Scope, this is perfect for night shooting and crystal clear optics:
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/107756/bushnell-trophy-xlt-3-9x40-riflescope/

Binoculars are very important for scanning a field over a mile away as it means you don't have to waste your time walking over lol:
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/507/108361/bushnell-elite-hd-10x42-ed-binoculars-620142ed/

Boots which will last:
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/66...kevlar-walking-boots-dark-olive-30-01-018-71/

The above will set you back roughly £840 incl postage ;)

17. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

All the gear, no idea!

Kit tart!

All the kit but still a tit!

Yes that's me:eek: If I could afford more I would have it!
    Life's too short to worry about other people's opinions of yourself:D