1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Aligning Smk qb 78 deluxe

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Village, May 28, 2015.

1. Village

Village Member

Hello everybody,

This lovely rifle has had the internals improved, including a metal barrel clamp at the end of the stock. This clamp screw I gave tightened, as I noticed a slight movement with the barrel. The screw and nut look cheap metal.

On fixed firing at 14 yards, shots are spread over a 3inch area.

So, is the answer to replace this machine screw and nut with a more substantial one would anyone advise?

Thanks.

2. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Busy Member

dont know this gun chum, but a barrel clamp attached to the stock sounds like a bad idea.

mind you , movement of the barrel isn't going to help your accuracy .

is there any other way of securing the barrel ?

3" group at 14 yrd is very undesirable

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Are you using a silencer??

4. gunsnlandies

gunsnlandies Busy Member

Get a bolt set from Will at Woodfield. They are all hex key bolts. The only one not replaced is the front trigger screw.
    http://woodfield-gcp.co.uk/?product=qb78-qb79-seals-bolts-kits
    The barrel should be tight enough at the breach not to move. I have drilled and tapped another hole in that area. It is now held with two grubscrews. This was done as I have carried out the barrel to valve mod with home made TP seal.
    Check the crown as they can be hit or miss. I had a XS78 which hadn't been crowned at all.
    Ignore the barrel clamp remark. As Stevie says, have you got a silencer fitted, and the pellets are clipping.
    Join UKCAF, everything you want to know about the 78 can be found there.

5. Village

Village Member

Hi,

yes, a silencer is fitted.

6. tommy gun

tommy gun Posting Addict

try with out the silencer

7. laserman

laserman Well-Known Member

78 or 78deluxe?

8. Village

Village Member

Thankyou, following up now.

Without the silencer is the same.

Firing at 11ft pounds and very easy to load and fire. The build and mechanicals are excellent, just aligning issue now.

Thanks.

9. tommy gun

tommy gun Posting Addict

have you checked to see if the barrel is straight it should still be hitting the same place with out the clamp on

10. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

Check the breech bolts are tight and the barrel to breech bolt/bolts. Try different pellets too.

11. laserman

Make sure you are are doing your tests with fresh CO2 cartridges in otherwise you'll never get it right. And if you remove the barrel band it will make a massive difference as the design of the barrel bolt is s**t. The barrel will wobble all over the shop.

Are you trying to zero it in with a scope??? If so try another one. And is it a smk QB78 or 78D?

12. xboxmoddr

xboxmoddr Engaging Member

13. Village

Village Member

Thankyou.

the pellets are twin ring pointed standard mil bro I believe, I have Bisley super field en route to test out on Wednesday.

thanks.

14. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

The pellets you are using are pants. Pointed pellets are only made to sell to those who don't know better. The best pellet is almost always a decent domed one such as JSB, AA Field, Accupell etc.

15. laserman

Is it .177 or .22? Use superdomes mate and stay away from fancy pellets

16. Seanalf

Seanalf Engaging Member

Falcon accuracy plus were the best for my QB, closely followed by Superdomes and H&N FTT, all in .22 flavour. Milbro are sh*te, check your crown as well, I had to re-do mine and it made it a great little gun

17. Village

Village Member

Hi everyone,Great, I'll look over all your comments shortly.Milbro twin ring pointed .22 pellets have proven very poor. Using Bisley super field has improved a 3" group at 14yds down to 1" group, which I still consider very poor.How accurate can a SMK qb78dl be???I'll follow this up shortly and hope others can benefit from the above.

18. Seanalf

Seanalf Engaging Member

After a bit of tinkering (I've had 5 of these), I could get sub 1" goups at 40yds with some great consistency. They are an easy gun to work on, find a pellet it likes and go from there. Sounds to me like the crown needs doing and internal polishing to make the airflow more consistent. The better the flow, the lest fluctuation on power. Don't forget, co2 can be temp affected, so your point of aim can shift with higher/lower temps, don't leave it lying in the sun!

19. laserman

I had mine doing pellet on pellet at 25yards.

20. inbo36

inbo36 Member

be aware of temperature!

If it is at 11fpe in this weather it will be way over in summer weather! These can go up 2-3 ftlbs easily with temp.increase.