1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Airwolf Vs Wolverine Vs Cricket.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Bane Bastion, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Bane Bastion

Bane Bastion Well-Known Member

After a couple of years out of the game, I managed to obtain a permission that's over run with rabbits... Now I need a serious tool for the job...

Which would you choose out of the 3 rifles?...

I love the size of the Kalibre Cricket, and it's pretty eye catching too...

The Daystate Airwolf is a proven tool for the job...

The Daystate Wolverine B-Type caught my eye, but is it better than the Airwolf?...

Choices, choices...

What would you pick and why?... ​

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

If the gun I picked was instantly given to me,it would be the Cricket because I love the look of them but with the recent fiasco surrounding them,I would go for something completely different because Daysates QC seems to be up and down at the minute.

3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Edgun matador:up:

4. Bane Bastion

Oh dear...

5. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I've used all three on your list

Cricket, I love it, high shot count, great balance, good trigger, compact and shoots great

Air wolf, again big shot count, not as nibble or compact as the cricket but it shoulders great, electric trigger (I have a mk4 and love it), shot great

Wolverine, the new block daystate is moving forward with, like the air wolf but non electric but the one I used had been back to daystate twice and was going back again, shot really bad but they will sort it out. Maybe it was a bad one but once right it's a nice rifle.

Best bet is to go shoulder the daystates in a gun shop and see what you think, it's always best to get hands on with things and certainly when your spending so much money :up:

Curve ball is have you thought about a rapid or the new rapid from impact

http://www.impactairguns.co.uk

6. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Start with a good basic PCP , id say Air arms S200 . cant beat them , said it before il say it again Most under rated PCP on the market . Hey iv got a souped up air ranger , S200 is just as well made and accurate rifle . Also if you stay on this forum you will end up spending a fortune :eek: modern airguns are fantastic works of engineering

7. Bane Bastion

I plan on staying... I plan on spending loads too... ;)

I used to own an S410k, and apart from the barrel being a bit thin for my liking, it was a faultless rifle, but now I fancy something nice... I considered an HW100T but I really want a shot count of 200-300 minimum... The Fx verminator entered my mind for a while but I've heard they're only good for 35yds-ish...

If I bought an Airwolf, it would be second hand, but the other two would be spanking new... It's the first I've heard about Daystate having QC issues...

Back to square one... :/

8. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

This forum is the best knowledge base for air gunning , Be paitient i started on here after 20 years away from an air gun and strictly shooting powder burners ( fire arms ). Through circumstance i pulled my mk 1 HW77 out of a cupboard ! still my favourite rifle . i now hunt with my DS air ranger most of the time for the high shot count and simple loading . Again S200 . do everything it says on the box and you have a bench mark to work from . Saying all that im spending to much on a new rifle soon ! hey no mrs no kids and work hard to spend my monies on that special some one . To Grumpy From Grumpy :rolleyes:

9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I can wrap an S410 barrel in tape to thicken it up a bit :D

Some people have shrouded theres to great results,was considering doing it here.

10. Bane Bastion

I have the missus and two kids, but our conversations go a little like "Dear, can I buy a DS wolverine, they're about a grand."

"Yes, love... No problem..."

(Thank you, ....)

The first time I shot my S410k, I thought there was something wrong as the pellets were flying all over the place... Then I realised the barrel was touching a small ledge and altering the POI... :rolleyes:

11. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Stay well away from crickets at min mate imports have been reported to the home office as illegal fire arms and the uk suppliers are too busy trash talking each other to have time to sort theres out right unless your tech minded to sort a import out right !

12. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

The three guns you mention are all very different but out of the three i would say the Wolf, i have three of them so obviously i like them.

Cricket is a touchy subject right now, and the Wolverine B-Type is basically a glorified Ranger, nothing wrong with a Ranger, i have one but, not (IMO) as good as the Wolf.

You'll get recommendations for other types of gun no doubt, but from what you're asking my choice would be the Wolf ;)

13. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

Fx verminator is accurate out to long ranges mate. Most accurate pcp ive ever used.

14. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

The thing that puts me off owning a modern daystate is the electronics, I mean when the rifle is new and under warranty no problem it gets fixed for free but a few years down the line and I would still be at the mercy of a gunsmith's.
    I'm not very good with electronics so for this reason only I tend to shy away from the daystate brand but this may not be an issue for you but if you intend to work on your own rifle I would think a reasonable amount of electrical knowledge would be needed :).

15. warrenater

warrenater Donator

Not on your list but theoben rapid all day long cos it will do its job all day long.

16. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Personally I'd tread carefully around all three of the rifles you mention in your original post:

As previously mentioned there's currently a lot of Censored flying around with regard to the Cricket and the supply situation seems unstable at best. Their format doesn't really appeal to me personally, but if it did I'd be waiting six months for the dust to settle before even considering parting with any cash.

The Airwolf has a fair amount going for it on paper (reasonably quick lock time, very good air efficiency, high shot count) however I really don't rate Daystate's design and build quality and the arguably flaky reliability of the electronics and inability to repair it oneself / potentially high cost of repair if the board goes tits up would weigh on my mind.

IMO the Wolverine is the most promising of the three (and seems like a big leap forward compared to the Air Ranger it replaces); although I've not used one so can't comment with authority. Again though I'd be concerned by potential build issues as continuing weak areas of design (the DS mags have been plagued with problems from the off and I think the Wolverine still uses the same pretty crude, pseudo-two-stage trigger DS have been fitting since the early '90s)..

A couple more points; firstly don't make the assumption that because you're spending twice as much as you did on your old S410 that you're getting a much better gun. While not perfect, personally I'd rate the mag system, trigger and general design / build quality of the S410 far higher than the equivalent areas on Daystate guns.

While admittedly outshone by the rifles you mention in various areas (aethetics, shot count, moderator mounting, tart factor) don't discount the S410 simply because it's cheaper and you assume inferior as a result. With a few issues excepted, they're very competant, reliable and capable guns.

Do you actually need a massive shot capacity? In chasing this value you're cutting down your options for potentially no real reason. Have you actually considered the amount of shots you'll need from the gun on each outing, or are you just pulling numbers from the air because you can't really be arsed to fill it up for weeks at a time?

If you can stomach the looks, ergonomics and weight the HW100 is an excellent choice (I'd argue the most technically competant on the market currently). In addition I've recently come to learn what a nice piece of kit the late model Rapids (Mk2) are - the mags are still a bit flakey but a fair amount of issues that dogged the early ones (such as the laugably Censored Gamo trigger) were sorted on the last ones; making them very capable and nice guns to own and use.

Bottom line, get yourself a proper specification for what you require from the gun and throw yourself into your homework. Don't assume that chucking £1500 at a "top end" rifle will automatically get you a great rifle and don't believe all the biased w*nk in the mags that will tell you everything's brilliant. Trust me, no one gun is perfect; they all have their flaws and it's your job to identify them and decide whether they'll bother you.

Try and handle / use all the items you intend to buy and remember that everyone has an opinion - use your own savvy to decide who to believe. There are a lot of fanboys about and anyone who insists that "their" gun is absolutely perfect is probably either blinkered, inexperienced or doesn't really know what they're talking about. Listen to the balanced views ;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  17. Bane Bastion

I'm surprised... The few owners I've spoken to have all had issues with 40yd plus groups... Maybe I just caught an unlucky few?... Others had problems with the bottles leaking etc and it put me off... Reinstate my faith! Please!... I'd love one... :D

You echoed my thoughts exactly... The rifle appealed to me for the quick lock time and on board chrono... But I hate working with electrics and buying one would almost certainly hit my pocket in the years to come too...

That's two people now... Ok, ok, I'm gonna take a look... :D

Great input so far... Thanks to all and it looks like the rapid and verminator could be back on the list... :D

18. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

As I recommend to all who ask theses types of questiond.

Just buy what you like the look of.

Take the BSA R10 or the cricket both have fans and both have had negative reports. R10 is still going strong after all it's faults and the cricket can't keep up with demand.
    Plus as said all else fails buy a Rapid 7 consistent, reliable and accurate.

Andrew

19. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

FWIW the Mk2 Verminators don't appear to have had a great reception, however I've no personal experience. As for the Mk1; they offer a lot on paper and indeed give a lot of shots in a very compact and efficient package. On the downside they're bloody expensive, the mag actuation system would be better engineered if made of Mecchano (although is still reliable) and they're a bit of a pig to work on.

20. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

Look at the Rapid Air Weapons HM1000 ☺