1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Airsporter mk6 low power ?

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by Barling Stu, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Barling Stu

Barling Stu Active Member

Hi all Ive spent the winter restoring my airsporter mk6 and I have replaced all of the internals including the mainspring all seals and the piston head. I even lengthened the stroke with a tr robb kit. The only thing I did do was carefully grind one coil from the mainspring. Although this may be the cause I thought it would still be putting out more than 510 fps. Any help appreciated. Please bear in mind this is my first resto. Ps ive included some photos of the finished rifle.

Cheers Stu.

Attached Files:

2. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Firstly why did you take a coil off? Secondly did you finish the spring correctly or did you just hack it off and consider it job done?

Check the loading tap for leaks too as this can be a problem on airsporters I believe.

3. Barling Stu

I took a coil off because I had read some rifles can be over. I removed the coil and finely ground it so it sat nice and flat and level. Maybe I should have chronyd it with an uncut spring first. Still this is a learning curve for me. Ill look at the tap aswell. Does anywhere stock them?

4. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Yes should have chronod first. Airsporters don't usually go over the limit. Although you have long stroked the piston you may still have been within the limits

What pellets were giving 510fps?

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

As said above, the finish on the spring is important. The last coil should be collapsed properly and the tail end should be ground, filed and polished until there are no rough edges to snag on either the trigger housing block or the piston. Did you fit a top hat?

It's worth saying that they aren't the most powerful of rifles; I restored my Stutzen recently and I fitted a TR Robb stainless steel piston head and a Welsh Willy tuning kit. After a thorough de-burr, polish and relube the cycle is now far smoother and quieter but the rifle is not that powerful:

[​IMG]

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63, width: 154"]Shot number[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63, width: 99"]Velocity / fps[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"][/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]1[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]516[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]2[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]509[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]3[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]517[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]4[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]513[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]6[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]520[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]7[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]515[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]9[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]520[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: xl63"]10[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]509[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Average[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]515[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Extreme spread / range[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]11[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Standard deviation[/TD]
    [TD="class: xl63"]3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

This was after about 50 or so shots, so it's not fully bedded in yet - I'd expect the consistency to improve shot-to-shot and for the power to rise a little as it beds in.

The Airsporter is a notoriously difficult beast to tame, in a lot of ways, but it can be done with a bit of patience and perseverance.

Try Chambers airgun supplies or John Knibbs International for parts etc.

Hope this helps,

JR

6. Barling Stu

Cheers. I was using h&n ftt 5.53. Ill try putting a new uncut spring in and hopefully itll improve. Does the top hat and longer spring guide make it alot smoother? Thanks for the advice so far. Like I say this is all new to me especially when it comes to removing coils.

7. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

It makes the cycle much less prone to inconsistency, and therefore more predictable. It's the de-burring and polishing that smoothen everything out. Ideally, when you cock the rifle you should feel and hear no graunching or heavy friction taking place. In an ideal world the cocking stroke should be virtually silent. Check the piston for witness marks, and correspondingly the inside of the compression cylinder. If you find anything untoward, smooth it out and polish where necessary. The piston in Airsporters is made from some nasty pot-metal which doesn't take a polishing very well but it can still be smoothed.

8. Barling Stu

Right im going to strip it and start again. First il polish the internals then order new spring top hat and spring guide and hopefully itll shoot like a dream. Is it worth polishing the trigger sears while im at it?

9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I didn't bother with mine as the trigger was fine. I'd only bother if you feel that it could be improved significantly.

Here's what I did to my Stutzen:

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums...nd-tune-Well-eventually?highlight=bsa+stutzen

10. Barling Stu

Just looked at your airsporter pics and mine was much the same. I had to cut the piston head off. Whats with the gunk. The buffer had dissapeared in mine aswell and the piston head pin was bent. Just stripped it again ready for the new spring and decided to start prepping it for a re blue.

11. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

It's worth checking the alignment of the loading tap, there should be some shim washers at the handle side to get it spot on - shoot some pellets into a bucket of water with some rags in the bottom & check carefully that the shiny ring left by the rifling is perfect all the way round. If it's off it's easy to see.

12. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I thought the piston skirt was rolled from sheet steel and hardened,it seemed very hard on the BSA's I owned

13. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

By my reckoning the gun's producing around 8.5ftlb.. later Airsporters have a terrible rep for low muzzle energy; due I think to a combination of poor design and poor QC. Generally I think you're considered lucky to get 9 or 10ftlb from one in .22; they were never a legal-limit gun anyway.

I'd be inclined to leave this one alone and just enjoy it as it is :)