1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Airsporter mk6 late whatts it worth?

Discussion in 'Vintage collectable airguns' started by Barling Stu, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Barling Stu

Barling Stu Active Member

Hi ive just refurbed my airsporter, more because i wanted to save it rather than sell, but now its finished i want a new project. Just wanted to know what id get for the old girl. obviously i wont get back what ive put in, ive spent over 30 hours in labour alone. The resto was enjoyable though and ive learned alot about these old guns.
    for some reason i cant upload my photos, but its had a new mainspring,top hat,piston head, i polished the piston while it was stripped, i have completly stripped and refinished the stock aswell. its not the most powerful rifle in the world but its very cosistant at 7 ft/lb. i dont think anyone would use one for hunting anyways, but its ideal for paper punching or plinking and theres not even a hint of spring twang!

Cheers all.

2. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Ah another one that's only managing 7ft lb! As for price prob around the £70 mark?

3. Patrick

Patrick Donator

7 F.P.E,that's very low for an Airsporter in good condition & working properly, should be around the 10 F.P.E,something wrong there.

4. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Mine is doing 7 also, I need to look into that this week

5. Barling Stu

I took it to the airgun centre to be chronod and he said they werent much more than that new! I think i know the problem though, i bought two mainsprings and shortend one, i removed a coil and a half, but obviously once the coils been flattened and ground its probably more like 2 coils. Ill have to strip her down and put the unshortend one in. when it was chronod the spread was 15 fps over 10 shots! so its very consistant.

6. Patrick

Patrick Donator

They usually chucked out about 700fps in .177 and 550fps.in.22 from the factory and this usually increased a little as the gun was shot and bedded in or was stripped,lubed and fettled.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Keep it at 7 and keep it sweet. Can get a bit twangy if pushed too far and no need at all 7 is plenty for plinking.

8. Barling Stu

mines averaging 468 fps with h and n ftts, will 2 coils make it loose 80 fps? will it loose its excellent cosistancy with more power?

9. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Bit poor for what was once BSA's flagship rifle though

10. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

why do people buy a spring then lop a few coils then fit. pointless most springs should fit straight from the box. I've never had to cut a spring in all the rifles I've tuned!

11. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Quite agree,me too,I've never had to cut down a spring if you're using the proper one recommended for that particular rifle.The only reason I can think of for doing it is to make re-assembly easier but of course you will almost certainly loose power.

12. Barling Stu

the reason i cut the spring was because the spring became coil bound when i fitted the top hat, before i fitted the top hat it was only putting out 6.5 ft/lb with an uncut standard spring. have you ever worked on the airsporter before? it has very little room for error, if i try to refit a spring with the top hat it becomes coilbound. i cant seem to find a solution to this issue GRRRRRRRRRR!

13. Barling Stu

If anyone knows where i can find an original fit factory standard spring i would be most grateful. it will still probably bind with a top hat though.

14. Barling Stu

People on this forum are very quick to criticise rather than offer real advice. Ive spent hours on this gun trying to make it shoot smoother. i stripped it fitted the top hat and it was binding, stripped it removed one coil, flattened the coil, ground it, reassembled, it was binding, removed coil 2 flattened and ground the spring, now its cocking and shooting very consistantly at 7ft lb and people are still posting s*#t about how they have never had any problems when fitting springs! If you are going to criticise at least offer help or an explaination. ive spent hours on this rifle and have done all i can. If you have any useful advice i am willing to listen, but if its unconstructive i dont want to hear it. Rant over.

15. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

Not criticising in particular its a point of fact. Chambers sell a factory spring. "google Airgunspares" The norm now is cut the spring then moan when the powers dropped.

Ive never found top hats make a huge difference over a small ptfe washer which does the same job which helps the spring rotate in the piston

theres nothing wrong with combros and I did offer help. you have to weigh every pellet with grain scales to get a true reading as power is as much about weight as it is velocity.

the formular is

fpsXfpsXwght (grns)/450240=ftlbs

If the spring was coil bound with the top hat then remove the top hat first and test. there is no quick way to get the best out of any rifle its a lot of disassembly re assembly test and so on.

If it was that easy everyone would be tuning rifles all week long. I select what I do and I've always been happy with the results and so have the people I've tuned guns for. But its taken me 30 years of experience to get it right first or second time. very rarely will a rifle go back straight to 11+ ftlbs there either way over or well under.

And before you start whinging at people cause you screwed your rifle up look at the posts we've put up and thanks theres a wealth of experience here. you've been here for 5 minutes.

Back to you.

16. Patrick

Patrick Donator

In the 70's & early 80's I owned both a Mecury, Airsporter & Airsporter 'S' the first thing I did when I purchased them was to strip them,a bit of deburring and polishing here and there and a relube.After this they all shot quite smoothly and put out about 9- 10 FPE depending on pellet used.In those days fancy springs, guide tubes and top hats etc weren't widely available.Are you sure the spring is a O.E spring,if it is it sounds as if you may have a problem some where else E.G leaky or incorrectly aligned tap,damaged piston 'O' ring or even unsuitable pellet I.E too tight a fit or too loose a fit.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  17. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I'm not so sure the chambers springs are factory replacements. The two I've had from them have been a shiny chrome colour which is new to me.

If the op feels confident he could go with a tr Robb replacement piston head and do the long stroke model. I bought one but don't have the tools or know how to do the mod. So since replacing the piston head alone as well as a new spring I'm also idling along at 7 fpe compared to 5.5 when I got it. Mine is in .177 so had it been .22 then I would be looking at around 8 fpe . I do intend trying to sort my problem out by trying a different size piston washer as the Robb kits come with three different size ones to suit your rifle. Would be nice if someone that has done the piston stroke mod before was willing to do mine for a fee of course. However airsporters are known for not being powerhouses so unless the mod is done then don't expect too much from it.

18. Barling Stu

darklord i wasnt moaning that ive messed my rifle up it shoots well, but if not a bit low on power. your only previous post prior to the last was. why do people lop off a few coils then moan about power. not exactly constructive is it.( yes i would be happier if it were closer to 10). I appreciate that people have experience on this forum but some are more willing to help than others. You have to understand my frustration of spending so much time on this gun, i want it to be perfect.
    Also you were all new to this once. maybe the mainspring i was sent wasnt the right one. sorry for the rant but its frustrating.

19. Barling Stu

I dont wish to sell the rifle, but maybe i can use it to hone my skills. i dont want to alienate myself from people either. Thats not the point. this is the first rifle that i have done a complete referb on. i have done a few stocks which have come out really well. I am willing to listen to all advice given.

20. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Maybe consider the terry Robb piston stroke mod mate. I'm assuming yours is .22 and it's only doing 7 ft lb. that is drastically low and if the gun shop tells you that's about the norm then I would not be listening to their advice any more I mean the BSA scorpion pistol was capable of that. Like I say mine is also at 7 fpe and that is low even for a .177 9 ft -10 is what I would expect.