1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Airgun Scene Scotland

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Crash one, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:49 PM.

1. Crash one

Crash one Engaging Member

image.jpeg It seems there isn't one.
    Went down to Cluny Clays today, the outdoor range is discontinued, indoor range 10metres closed but available.
    Had a look round, very little interest in air gunning apparently, the licence issue seems to have killed it.
    Sod it. I'd rather sit in the conservatory and empty a tin of pellets 50 yds into the ditch. Tea and fags allowed, no screaming kids.
    Came home disappointed, stopped off at the airfield on the way for a chat.
    Fife airport open day Saturday, free landings, barbie, but no doubt bouncy castle and screaming kids.
    Any better ideas very welcome.

2. pjgtech

pjgtech Donator

(swear word), thats sad... :(
    Hope the same thing does not happen here..... :facepalm:

3. Crash one

Who's going to risk going to a public shooting range unless they have a licence? I would have to produce mine if I wanted to stand at a deserted bench knocking down 2" targets for £10 per hour.
    It's more fun hitting peanuts off the birdbath, watching out for the birds!
    Just hope it doesn't happen to you.

4. HW95J

HW95J Donator

I'd heard rumours of an outdoor range at Cluny but having spoken to staff got the impression that it was something that would open in the future rather than had closed(?) The indoor range is a bit sad. It desperately needs a new backstop, repaint and better lighting. It's essentially just for their airgun experience packages where people have an instructor. It is however a public range and will help those with no alternative to get/keep licences. I wish there were more arrangements like it in terms of how casual it is.

5. micktheplumber

micktheplumber Donator

Hi All.
    Very sad and disappointed what did the scotch government gain ?:confused:

6. no country members

no country members Active Member

We have a caravan up near the borders and I've been looking for somewhere to shoot whilst up there with no luck either.

Last time I was up there I tried this place as it states Air Rifles on their website...

http://roxburgheshootingschool.co.uk/

Sadly the response was similar in that they occasionally do events or will take bookings for group activity days but don't cater for a passing shooter with his own gun whether one off or regular.

I emailed them afterwards politely suggesting they are missing a trick if they have the range anyway then they are ignoring potential income from the likes of me who would happily pay to turn up and shoot my own kit for a couple of hours.

I did get a reply but the lady just said thanks for the feedback keep checking the website for future developments in this area.

Interestingly though I had not considered the licensing issue. I had my gun with me at the caravan and would have driven over the border in a heartbeat if they'd said OK when I rang them up. Would I have been breaking the law?

7. Crash one

I believe you would be breaking the law!
    Much the same as an American tourist carrying a holstered 45!

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

What a shame - I assume this (along with placating a mis-lead and hard of thinking public) was the real motivation behind licensing all along :(

gargloit likes this.
  9. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Big Poster

Very few airguns in circulation 'well' very few "LEGAL" ones anyway !... :D:up:

10. Crash one

No doubt the admiration of Joe Public for doing something positive and preventing the wholescale slaughter of hordes of innocent people that airguns cause on a daily basis!:facepalm:

Baldalot and TORNADOS7 like this.
  11. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Busy Member

Nothing as "Scotch" is an alcoholic beverage!

12. Paddler

Paddler Donator

South Devon where the cream goes on first!

"Have you come far? Yes it's a bit overcast today , you better put a coat on... I suppose you better lay face down and with one hand push that lovely old Mk2 Air Sporter towards the door please "

[​IMG]

Jack's Da likes this.
  13. Paddler

Paddler Donator

Joking aside...so sad at the tragic situation north of the border.. But does it beg the question has there been apathy amongst folks like us for not taking up a license ?

Or was the shocking admin of the process the downfall of that. ??

14. waisted skirt

waisted skirt Donator

That's a couple of Nicola Sturgeon's storm troopers Paddler acting on a tip off that there is a half used tin of Field Target Trophies inside.

That woman needs beating with a battered Mars bar.

15. Paddler

Paddler Donator

No wonder the Krankies live in Torquay.

Fusty Fieldcrafter likes this.
  16. no country members

no country members Active Member

I thought Nicola Sturgeon was in the Krankies?

Baldalot and Paddler like this.
  17. Crash one

Scottish Numpty Party.

Baldalot and TORNADOS7 like this.
  18. HW95J

HW95J Donator

If someone were to bring an air rifle up e.g from England, I think they'd be covered provided they had an existing FAC/SGC valid before the time of the law change (and still valid). Without those certificates, or if they had been renewed/granted after the change in law then the individual would need to apply for a visitor permit or indeed an Airgun License. You don't need to be resident in Scotland to get a licence which can help if you're up frequently.

I expect there will be a bit of an increase in licences issued as peoples existing certs gradually expire and they have to get the AGL.

You have ridiculous situations where people with fullbore rifles technically can't have airguns that would barely dent a tin can.

Fight licensing with everything you've got down there in England and Wales, it's a pain in the...

19. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Big Poster

Being as they’re such weapons of mass destruction n’all !... :rolleyes:

20. Jack's Da

Jack's Da Donator

Depending on date of issue you may be covered with a FAC or SGC.
    Without one of these that falls within whatever the rulings you will very much be breaking the law.
    We have to apply for an Air Weapons Licience when we want to shoot any hft comps north of the border :(