1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Airgun Safety

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Airguninfo, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Airguninfo

Airguninfo Moderator

You must ALWAYS follow the rules of safe gun handling. Always be aware of your surroundings, and those people around you.

ALWAYS treat an airgun as if it were loaded.

ALWAYS aim an airgun in a safe direction and ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

ALWAYS keep an airgun "on safe" until you are ready to shoot.

ALWAYS wear shooting glasses and make sure those with you wear them too.

ALWAYS use the proper caliber ammunition and NEVER reuse ammunition.

ALWAYS be sure of your target and ALWAYS be sure your target has a safe backstop.

ALWAYS place your backstop in a location that will be safe should the backstop fail.

ALWAYS check to see if an airgun is "on safe" and unloaded when getting it from another person or from storage.

ALWAYS read and follow the owner's manual and all instructions and know how the airgun works before using it.

ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you are aiming at your target and are ready to shoot.

ALWAYS store an airgun in a safe place so that it cannot be used by anyone who is unauthorized to use it.

NEVER point an airgun at any person.

NEVER load an airgun until you are ready to shoot.

NEVER point an airgun at anything you do not intend to shoot.

NEVER shoot at hard surfaces, water, or anything that could cause a ricochet.

NEVER put an airgun away loaded.

You MUST also follow your countries laws about purchase, ownership and use of an airgun. Most airguns are only intended for use of those of a certain age, there supervision is always needed.

And remember, misuse or careless use of an airgun can result in serious injury or even death.

Be safe. Have fun, and happy airgunning :)

Shortshot likes this.
  2. Shortshot

Shortshot Engaging Member

All correct but a few missing, well the Law bits, like never shoot next to a public right of way, all guns must be transported covered by slip or suitable case, mind you, this could all change soon :(

3. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

you can shoot near a public right of way as long as you cause no harm or distress of stop them going about their buisness..
    and a gun in your car boot doesnt have to be in a slip as long as it cant be seen or if being transported in public...

btw this op hasnt been online since 2013

mmamonster and Pete236 like this.
  4. Shortshot

I wasn't quoting directly from the Law, just what came of the top of my dumb head, I was nearly right, just meant that there was bits of law missing from the gun safety, So what is the correct distance from a public right of way that you are allowed to shoot, I have a public plath at the side of my garden and I can assure you that I am not allowed to shoot there as my friendly firearms officer told me, luckily my neighbor shoots and he has no public right of way and he lets me shoot there. Transporting a gun to your car without it being covered by ie. slip or case or even a cardboard box will do is illegal unless your car is on your land or on land that you have a right to shoot.

5. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

I don't believe that is correct.

6. Bsa177

Bsa177 Donator

Never let your little gun, pointed be at anyone

7. Bsa177

Bsa177 Donator

o_O hacked!

8. Pete236

Pete236 Post Whore

I believe the law states that one may not discharge a firearm (or air rifle etc) within 50 feet of the centreline of the carriageway, if, by doing so, one causes a member of public to be alarmed, endangered or impeded in their progress. That is off the top of my head, I can't remember the exact wording.
    I'm unsure on the covering laws, so I keep mine covered unless I'm using it at a permission or club, or working on it at home.

9. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

Isn't it one of Andy's Admin accounts that he uses for posting info.

10. Shortshot

Well it seems to me that some here are not acquainted with the law, It is 50ft or 15mtrs from the centre of a highway.

11. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

:thumb:

12. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

We are aquainted with the laws, you seem to be putting your own interpretation on them and giving misinformation.

The figures you have quoted are correct but there are also three additional caveats, any of which you must also have infringed before the distance part comes into play.

Let's see if you can get them right.

Pete236 likes this.
  13. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

14. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

i believe pete236 already has

15. Shortshot

I know but some youngsters don't know what is a foot or a yard:)

16. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

Indeed he has Carl but someone appears to have overlooked them though and is fixated on measurements of length instead of the actual reasons as to why the law was enacted.

17. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Many people are saying “public right of way” or just “ highway” in this thread.

Don’t forget this 50ft law only applies to public highways comprising of “carriageways” ( some where you can drive your car without permission )
    It does not apply to footpaths, public footpaths, bridleways, cycle paths, car parks, private roads or tracks, permissive roads and so on.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    monsta41 and Pete236 like this.
  18. Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta Active Member

All those could pretty much be condensed into the 4 rules of gun safety.

As for the 50' rule, I'm pretty sure that only applies to shooting in a public place.

If not, you could have the ridiculous situation, of being unable to shoot is your own garden, back yard, or even cellar.

19. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

The 50ft rule always applies when ever you are within 50ft of the carriageway.
    But you only commit a crime if a user of the carriageway is able to claim they were injured, endangered or interrupted as a result of your shooting.

If you can’t be seen ( you are in a cellar and your gun is silenced) there is little room for a claim.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018