1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Airgun help please

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Kyska, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Need some expert advise from the Agf massive.

I want to invest on an Airgun, I found an Aa S310, must of been my father in laws, I don't want a pcp, I can't be arsed buying all the kit for it.

I have no idea how much they worth, but I'm looking to swap it for a springer I think.

Any ideas of what it's worth, and what I should get?

Id been speaking to someone off of here about a swap for a S1 theoben, but thinking about it, if it's sub 12 my daughter can shoot it too.

Its mainly for rats and ferals around the farm yard, for the life of me I cant get a reliable shooter to do this, so I'll have a go.

Any info would be really appreciated.

K

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Egg

Egg Major Poster

If the choice was between a gasram and a springer then - purely IMO - a springer would be the better, low maintenance way to go - HW95 [edit - HW95 lightest of the lot taking your daughter as a prospective varminter into account], HW80, HW97/77k would be my first choices.

As to price for an S310 - not sure bud: £300 as a ballpark figure depending on condition.

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Aye, gun only in good nick I'd say around 250-£300 - perhaps a little less. It's hard to tell without more info on age / calibre / condition etc.

In other news - ffs keep it! "All the other gear" for a PCP is simply a pump or bottle - around £80-90 will get you a decent used example (please ask if you want some guidance), and cylinders have recently come down in price fairly substantially (a new 3L 300 bar MDE setup can be had for £120-140).

At the end of the day the PCP is a far more efficient and competant tool for pest control than a springer. The one you've got is multishot (so offers the potential for a fast second shot if necc. without moving your eye from the 'scope), plus PCPs are usually more accurate / forgiving to shoot, lighter, quieter and ultimately far easier, faster and less conspicuous to reload (less movement).

The S310 lacks some of the refinements of the later S410, but is a good, solid working gun that's easy to work on and should last forever.

IIRC you're into your firearms; tbh I find a lot of firearms shooters who can't be arsed with springers get on a lot better with PCPs as the interface is more familiar and they're generally better at hitting the target.. get some air in it and try it ;)

4. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

I got a fac .22 eliminator if thats any good to you ?

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

As much as my heart says to get a HW springer, my head agrees with Cloverleaf and says to buy a three / four stage pump and stick with the S310. Multi-shot, easy to cock, pretty much bomb-proof, quiet etc etc.

6. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

I would say stick with it too, however, if you still want to sell on, i have a TX200 available if that floats your boat?

I would suggest maybe looking at Gun* website to get an idea of S/H prices?

7. anchovie

anchovie Banned

:eek: i'm shocked you can't find anyone.....ahem....:eek: i know someone who's just lost a permission and on the hunt for another permission that they can shoot with their brother , basc insured :D

8. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

I agree with everyone that says 'keep it',there's nothing worse than reloading in the dark whilst the perfect shot scurrys away:D a s/h pump and Bob's yer uncle a pcp setup for under a hundred quid:)

9. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Ok, I'll take the advice from the experts, what do I need to buy? I don't want a compressed air cylinder, to hard to get refilled where I am, what pump do I need?

how many shots will I get once I've blown it up?

10. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Yay :p

Not that I like their rifles much, but I prefer the FX pumps - they're well put together and appear well-designed.

I'd go for the cheaper three-stage pump (the four-stage has a valve to increase the mechanical advantage during pumping, but you'll only be filling the gun to 190bar so you shouldn't really need that facility). Some also rate the Hills items; I'd certainly steer clear of any of the cheaper brands (BSA / newer Webley / Gunpower).

The FX pumps have been going for years - I have a 10yr old example (Logun badged) that's not needed to come to bits yet; that said it doesn't get a massive amount of use. FX items were also sold under the Webley and RWS brands (amongst others) in the old days; and can be identified by their fairly distinctive foot plate and valve block shape, as well as their grips.

If the female fill adaptor (the bit that goes on the pump's hose) isn't with the gun you'll need one of these too.

Depending on calibre you should get 60-80 good shots from the S310 - more if it's well setup.

The only word of caution I'd give is that the S310s have Nylon (white) exhaust valves - these aren't susceptable to creep (and associated loss of muzzle energy) like the later (black) replacements. Nylon doesn't like moisture (filling with a pump killed the valve in my S410) but I doubt you'll be using it as much as I did and the odd inspection for degradation wouldn't go amiss :)

11. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Start a new thread for this please ;)

12. David M

David M Donator

:D..........:up:

13. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

I would think a three stage pump would do fine,I picked up a hills pump before Christmas for £60 off the forum and I even pump up my r10 with it no problems.for some reason I use the pump more than my 12l bottle don't know why?