1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

airarms shoot out of the box, i dont think so

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by custom100, May 23, 2007.

1. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

this is,nt just about airarms, this aplies to most manufacturers that i,ve come across in the last six years but after two of my freinds bought aa,s s400 series rifles ,because the reviews said that they shoot straight out of the box and were abslolutely brilliant. yeah right, after taking the rifles to a field and using them on two targets, 1 at 15 yds and 1 at 35 yds both my freinds wanted to sell their rifles. both said that they were getting inconsistent groups with the rifles , ranging from 2inch to 4inch with 10 shots in each group. the two rifles were,....1 a 400 classic in.22 which did,nt seem to settle even after over a hundred shots threw it and ....2 a 400 carbine in .177 which started off crap got better then went crap again.... at first i thought it was just because they were new to shooting so i offered to have a look at the rifles and sort them out for them.... this is what i found...........

first the aa,s s 400 .22
    recommended fill pressure 190 bar
    using daystate 15.9 grain pellets i ran a full charge over the chrony and was shocked by the results. between 190 bar and 150 bar not a single pellet went above 10 ft/lb and between 150 bar and 85 bar the power went up over 13,78ft/lb, creeping up and then back down again... i dropped the fill pressure down to 140 bar and reset the power to 11.2ft/lb after doing this i ran a string of 80 shots over the chrony and i must admit the consistency was spot on,13fps over 80 shots... i then spent half an hour setting the scope and zeroing in before running a group test at 15 , 25, 35 and 45 yds, i fired 20 shots at each range and achieved 1/4 inch groups at 15 and 25 and a sub half inch group at 35 yds and sub 1 inch group at 45 yds now its running as it should have straight out of the box.......

2nd is the aa,s400 carbine in .177
    reccomended fill pressure 190 bar
    daystate selects 451,s 8.44grains
    i ran a full charge over the chrony as i did with the .22 however things were slightly different between 190 bar and 170 bar the rifle never went over 11 ft/lb but between 170 bar and 110 bar the rifle went up over 13 ft/lb and back down again until it dropped below 11 ft/lb at about 110 bar. i refilled the rifle to 170 bar , reset power to 11.2 ft/lb and re ran the test... it started off at 11.2 crept up to around 11.5 and the dropped backdown i stopped the test after two shots dropped below 11.2 ft/lb. the consistency was better then the .22 by 2fps giving the overall deviation between the 1 and 45 shots of 7 fps.. bloody good ....
    i then ran simmillar test as before , i scoped the rifle and zeroed it at 35yds
    i then fired 4 groups at 15,25,35 and 45 yds with amazing results.... at 15 and 25 ragged 1 hole groups were achieved, at 35 less the 1/4 inch group and at 45 yds a sub half inch group , 10 shots fired at each range....

i was impressed with the abillity of both of these rifles but this was,nt my point in the first place , the point is most manufacturers claim that their rifles shoot out of the box, crap .my freinds since having their rifles back are both well impressed but if they had,nt known me they would have sold their rifles and given up on shooting all together. this is just two people who would have given up, how many have given up because of shoot out of the box rifles that dont do as promised...

2. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

What I find most worrying is the fact that out of the box at certain points of the power curve its producing well in excess of the legal limit.. In fact if the rifle was seized for testing the owner would find themself in hot water and most likely loose a brand new gun through no fault of thier own.

3. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

as long as the guns hav,nt been tampered with by the user the manufacturers would be liable....but hey this is the uk

4. Joey

Joey Newbie

Me and my cousin bought S400 carbines his .22 mine .177 and the first thing we did was set them up properly, they were close out of the box but nowhere near if you know what I mean;)

He set his up at his navy base and me on the farm, when we finished I could split a piece of straw from 30 yards (resting) and he had to go 1 better and strike a match :rolleyes: but like the op said, they were well off straight out of the box.

Quite worrying they go above the legal limit though I don't let mine go below 150bar, i find it performs better above it

5. Mick Dundee

Mick Dundee Engaging Member

Get a springer!

My Hw 95 wasbrilliant out of the box! Variation of 7 feet per second Max.
    Just remembered, my TDR was the same as your 400s

6. Murphy

Murphy Well-Known Member

Show me anywhere it says that in law??

The law STATES the owner is responsible.

7. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Just about every new gun i have bought has had problems, not all mechanical problems, mainly badly finished.
    Makes you wonder how they leave the factory in this condition sometimes.

So far i have had a pro elite with a loose but pad, screws had been over tightened and stripped the thread in the wood.
    A Theoben Fenman that had what looked like green pen lines still on the stock, these must have been put on when the stock was made.
    How did it leave the factory like that.
    A SLR98 that would not always fire, It had a ridge inside that went 3/4 way round the inside of the ram.
    Not sure if this was done at the factory or caused by a sharp edge cutting into the ram.
    A daystate that had a stock not fitting the action correctly.
    We pay top money for these guns so would would think a little quality control wouldn't go a miss.:mad:

8. topcat

topcat Post Whore

AIrarms

HERE HERE

9. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

could"nt have put it better myself andy, as you say top money and its a big investment for some people.