1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Air Supply

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by sagalout, Sep 13, 2019.

1. sagalout

sagalout I must stop buying Ultras!

I currently have as many charging options as guns, I have Hills Mk4 pump (bought new), a 7l bottle (used) and now a FX 4 stage pump and 3 Ultra SE's.

I bought the bottle because my Hills Mk4 was playing up and Hills wanted it back to investigate and rebuild so I needed to get an air supply sorted at short notice so a the nearest cylinder it was.

I like the Hills pump but find the cost of their parts extortionate and I did get the arse when having fully rebuilt my pump and returned it the inference was that the problem was my fault for not changing the Dry-Pac medium every three months as recommended. They have continually ignored my defense on this matter "Hello, the pump is six weeks old and I have changed the dry-Pac medium already".

So I am left wondering "What's the FX like?", so I bought a used 4 stage off ebay. It is very nice and if you have the strength/bodyweight to keep it as 3 stage very fast, don't have the figures with me, they're in the shed, I can publish tomorrow if anyone is interested but it's about two thirds of the strokes but harder work, of course you can change gear if it all gets to much for you.

The Hills is very simple and fast to strip, lubricate and rebuild. The FX is no where near as simple and easy. It has taken me 1.5 hours to completely strip it this evening, largely because there is no clear instructions on how to do it so I was working from an exploded parts diagram and also I don't think it has ever been stripped, every thing was gunged up. Now I've done it for the first time it should be easier in future, but I still have to put it back together!

Hill's service kit is £20+, doesn't have all the seals in it???? I bought an after market one for the FX for £8+ that does have all the seals.

Hills NLGI 2 silicone is £5.23 +P&P for 15g. NLGI 2 heat resistant silicone from C Bennis on ebay is under £10 for 200g.

2. Rm29

Rm29 Currently obsessed with silencers

I have a pump... I also want to try an air venturi nomad 2 compressor! All my bottles have been condemned, well my only bottle.

Tim_B and sagalout like this.
  3. sagalout

I have thought about the nomad but it doesn't make sense for me at the moment with the small bottle on the Ultras, it probably takes longer for the nomad to get up to speed than it will to fill the bottle, also not sure how loud it is when I'm shooting in the middle of the night.

4. Rm29

Rm29 Currently obsessed with silencers

I read a review somewhere that stated about 90 dB then said it was like a kitchen blender

sagalout likes this.
  5. Pete236

Pete236 Big Poster

Webley accupump which I've not used in 3 years, it doesn't work at the moment so it needs a strip at somepoint.
    It's not used much as I've got a 4l bottle which I fill from my 12l bottle - does me nicely :)

sagalout likes this.
  6. sagalout

I have watched Giles' video and it seemed pretty loud to me, my whacker plate is 98db (stated) and that is enough to annoy the neighbours during the day, I know DB's are logarithmic and every 3db is a doubling of noise but I still think 90db at 3 in the morning might cause one or two comments.

Rm29 likes this.
  7. sagalout

Got to say the logistics of the bottle don't really work for me, one hour round trip, a gallon of fuel and £8 for a fill.

8. Nik VanOrton

Nik VanOrton Well-Known Member

I got a Nomad last week and it’s brilliant. I’ve been rattling off mags full of pellets in the garden just so I can fill the gun again!

It’s much quieter in real life than in the videos. I think the microphone amplifies the sound too much, in practice the ‘knocking’ pump noise is much more subtle and muffled.

I have a couple of rifles with quite small air tanks so it’s perfect for my application.

Quality kit, comprehensive accessories included also a very good carry case.

sagalout likes this.
  9. sagalout

@Nik VanOrton that sounds (see what I did there?) great, I may have to think about that in the future, because although it' a large wedge initially the long term cost of ownership should be ok.

What maintenance is required? I do like the pumps though, they make me get of me backside and move about every 40 pellets.

10. Nik VanOrton

The research I did suggests that maintenance is limited to adding 3 drops of silicone oil every 5 fills and emptying the water/oil trap occasionally.
    I think the main thing is not to over stress it. My biggest gun has a 500cc tank so it’s perfect for me.

sagalout likes this.
  11. sagalout

I would seriously consider getting one if I had big tanks but with the ultras, I think they are 63cc, there is no great effort involved in pumping them up.

12. Keith McCabe

Keith McCabe Engaging Member

Had I have realised the cost of these prior to buying a 300bar 12ltr I would definitely have bought one.

sagalout likes this.
  13. sagalout

You can always sell the bottle, or keep it as a back-up.

Keith McCabe likes this.
  14. Keith McCabe

Yes I may just do that. I think I saw another advertised at £480 which may get bought if I can justify it

sagalout likes this.
  15. sagalout

At £480 I can see the temptation. Is that new or used?

16. Keith McCabe

New it was a different make to the one mentioned earlier

sagalout likes this.
  17. Nik VanOrton

I decided to splash out on the Nomad because I didn’t fancy the bucket of water and pump cooling system with the cheaper versions. Also (according to reviews) the moisture trap is very effective on the Nomad.

sagalout likes this.
  18. Dr B

Dr B An Airgunner's Companion

When I saw the thread title....i thought it was about this......:facepalm::facepalm::D:p

shauny, HW100Tuning and SlugFest like this.
  19. sagalout

I'll take a wild stab at the artemis?

I've got to say it's the faffin about to get set up with the £150 ones that puts me off them.

I watched at least ten seconds of that before I had to go and chuck up :) Shame there isn't a "really, really dislike" button :mao:

Dr B likes this.
  20. sagalout

The Hill MK4 takes 48 strokes to fill the ultra from 120 to 230 bar and the FX 4 stage (in 3 stage mode) takes 36.

The Hill MK4 is an absolute doddle to maintain, if a bit expensive for bits.

The FX 4 stage is an absolute bottom hole to strip and rebuild, the consumables are at much cheaper than the Hill MK4.

The FX I bought 2nd hand had grub screws wound in so tight they had dented and distorted the middle tube making it very difficult to get the inlet valve head out and the handle mount off. I've spent a bit of time fettling to get these easy to deal with in the future.

I use a lot of air because I shoot close to 500 pellets a day and the pumps need a fair bit of attention to keep them in good order, so ease of maintenance is important to me. I think although the FX is nice to use and has less strokes needed to fill it might be sold on because I only need two air sources and it makes sense to me that it should be a pump and the cylinder, the cylinder for emergencies when the pump is dead and awaiting spares or I am not able to pump it for some physical reason.