1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Air rifle storage

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Zachariah, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Zachariah

Zachariah Engaging Member

I have two air rifles which i keep in gun bags in my shed. The shed is locked but no other security. Is that legal?

2. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Legal yep , but wouldnt keep them in bags in shed !!!:eek: rustville !!

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The law states that you must take "reasonable precautions" to ensure that the rifles cannot be accessed by unauthorised persons under the age of 18. What constitutes "reasonable" is open to interpretation by the coppers / prosecutors involved if there is ever a problem.. so this is an immensely grey area.

More to the point (as above) a cold damp shed is potentially the quickest way to shaft your guns - inside a locked wardrobe in the house would be infinitely preferable..

4. Zachariah

Thanks for your help. I am very new to this, point taken. I will move them indoors wife permitting!

5. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

Why involve the wife? Just bring them in the house, otherwise ... trust they will rust!

6. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Guns in,wife out!

7. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

you can pick up gunsafes fairly cheap if you have a good look around buddy :) oiled and in a safe in a wardrobe or similar as above is how i keep mine and they still look the same as when i bought them plus i dont have to worry about them being nicked etc . rust is your enemy so avoid places like utility rooms or damp cellars :up:

8. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Assuming you have one, stick them up the loft - that's usually the driest place in most houses.

9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I would have thought that they may be inclined to rust in a loft because of the varying temperature during the year but I suppose if they kept oiled and in a sleeve /bag they should be okay,certainly a lot better than a garden shed!Bring them in the house much better environment and more secure.Never mind the missus,man up and tell her they're coming in.:D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  10. Blue Haze

Blue Haze Well-Known Member

I work away for 6 to 12 weeks. When going away I wipe the rifles and pistols down with a Napier wipe then put a couple of small desiccant sachets in the slip/case with them and hidden away in the house ( wife very "anti") . No problems so far. :D

11. Zachariah

When you say oiled you mean just the outside and workings and never inside the barrel? Assume something 3in 1 ok.

12. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Not always Egg, some houses have water storage tanks and expansion tanks for heating systems. You can get a fair amount of water vapour up there when it's cold and the heatings on ....and it's just looking for a nice cold metal surface to condense on!
    Dag

13. Padster

Padster Engaging Member

14. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Fortunately my loft has none of that stuff in it - all it's got in it is guns, bows and an expensive bit of ham :D

I'd avoid storing your gun in its slip mate - even with the VP90 sachet, slips are renowned for letting rust get a hold.

15. Blue Haze

Blue Haze Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Egg, will go to plan B,(when I think of it ) ! :D

16. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

FFs get them out of the shed and keep in the bedroom.

17. Skinwiz

Skinwiz Busy Member

I wipe everything down with an oil inpreganated cloth and make sure there's no moisture anywhere , usually go over the wood more than once on the rifles that don't get out much . If I'm bored and it's been a while since I've been shooting I will pull them out just to check and re-wipe , I've caught few stocks in need of a feed from time to time but touch wood (excuse the pun) I've managed to keep them all looking tip top .

18. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

Ask your missus for your trousers back...then get them rifles indoors were they belong ;) :D

19. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Simples, wife in shed ,guns in bed!
    Dag ;)

20. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

For superb protection, ACF50 is the best stuff to use. It is what the Navy use to protect their aircraft from the ravages of the sea - it is available to protect motorcycles from salt if riding through the winter. It comes in a 1litre bottle with a pressure pump, or you can get smaller aerosol cans. For what you want the aerosol is going to last you about 10 years, so forget the cost of the can, it will cost you pence per year!

ACF50 bonds itself to the metal and so doesn't get wiped off by your clothing like normal oil will. If you pour water on a gun treated with ACF50, the water will just bead off and the gun remains dry! Take the action out of the stock and use a soft cloth (old T-shirt or yellow duster) impregnated with the ACF50 and wipe it down, like you would with any other oil soaked cloth. Leave it for 30 mins to dry and bond properly.

The metal needs to be room temperature too, otherwise there is a danger you will lock moisture in UNDER the oil if you use ordinary oils. Make sure you dry the metal parts before applying whatever it is you choose to use. I have plenty of 3-in-1, and other oils, but I won't use them for corrossion prevention because I use my rifles in all weathers, including the pouring rain or snow. With ACF50 bonded on the surface I don't even think about corrossion happening.

For the wood of a stock, use a stock oil, one meant for treating wood, it is not the same as that used on metal (eg: raw linseed for wood, boiled linseed oil for metal). Danish stock oil, Old English stock oil, branded stock oils - they are all based on linseed oil, with a few additives depending on the recipe. Some use walnut oil in them, but they are all a blend of natural plant oils, whereas for metal mineral oil is used, again with additives for whatever application it is designed for.

Napier and the others are simply bought in products from other sources, branded and put in smaller containers and the price hiked massively - yes, of course it works, it is the same stuff, given a bit of marketing hype! I will treat my rifles with ACF50 and happily spray sea water on them - it is that good (it goes on my wildfowling shotguns and they do get rough treatment, but the bluing is still on them and the bores shine!)

Another drawback with normal oils is that they sit on the surface and attract dust, so you get a build up of an oily paste in the nooks and crannies. You can dig it out with the quill from a bird (wing or tail feather) or a cocktail stick, or old toothbrush. If it gets in the hinges or other moving parts it becomes a grinding paste. That is another reason I don't use lubricating oil for corrossion protection.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014