1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Air rifle Darts

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Timothy095, May 2, 2012.

1. Timothy095

Timothy095 Junior Member

Ive heard that darts ruin the barrel of your rifle, is this true? does it damage the spiral inside the barrel. are there only to be shot out of smooth bore barrels?

2. muzzy76

muzzy76 Busy Member

Shooting darts out of a rifle is a guaranteed way to ruin the rifling.

Leave them for the cheapo plinking guns.

3. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

You heard correct. Only use on smooth bore barrels like the crappy Gat gun. They'll ruin a good rifled barrel.

4. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Post Whore

I'd avoid them like the plague

5. Timothy095

Timothy095 Junior Member

Thanks guys

6. lancealot1969

lancealot1969 Engaging Member

They would strip the rifling on any barrel mate, best thing to use darts with is a Gat pistol ??? as there not accurate anyway!!!

7. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

They're not very good for the piston and piston seal either. Beacuse they don't seal the breech the piston will smash the seal against the end of the cylinder due to not being correctly slowed by the air cushion.

8. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want to shoot darts? i can understand using tranquilliser darts, but i'd dread to think anyone would use them for live game...

9. SteveA

SteveA Engaging Member

cousin shot one from my s410, has a choaked brl and cost £140 to have a new brl fitted at local shop because dart got stuck scored the hell out of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY SHOOT FROM SMOOTH BORE, better still.... dont bother with them!

10. husky

husky Donator

You can get darts with plastic body and metal tip in both .177 and .22 and unlike the normal darts there is no metal to metal contact so no damage to rifling. On the down side they are not as strong as metal darts and are easely broken if used in high power rifles at targets that are verry close. Under no circomstances shuld you use them on live quarey! targets only then with a wooden backstop.. If you want to try them look on EBAY under .177 or .22 airgun darts. They are fun but I use them more in pistols as rifles do tend to mash them after one or two shots. Hope this may be some help to you cheers Tom.

11. tom simkins

tom simkins Busy Member

darts =DONT

12. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

Ok, so what the point in darts (no pun intended) if they're not that accurate and knacker a rifle? why use them in the first place?

13. Dunkman

Dunkman Post Whore

For a gat gun making about 1 f/lb, you fired them at a darboard as a bit of fun.

In a full powered rifle, not only will steel on steel knacker the barrel but at the velicity they would hit something you would never ever get them out of whatever you shot them at.

These were around in the 70's 80's and being plastic could be used in a rifled barrel on low powered guns. Scroll down to see the plastic ones.

http://www.jackals-lair.com/page_21.html

14. husky

husky Donator

The darts in the above websight are almost the same as the ones you can get today I use my ones in a couple of low power air rifles and air pistols. I agree it probably is not a good idea to use them in 12ftlb guns but it can be fun if you dont have the target to close or they will probably disintagrate on impact. If you have an air pistol with a rifled barrel then go for it they work quite well and won't knacker the barrel.

15. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

I love dartboard shooting.
    .177 darts in my gat and .22 darts in my B2
    I wont even allow them in the same room as my air arms or weihrauchs.