1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Air Rifle Barrel Cleaning

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by JayK_01, May 29, 2020.

1. JayK_01

JayK_01 Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Since getting my rifle from brand new, I haven’t cleaned the barrel once (didn’t realise you had to) it’s had around 250 pellets through it now a mixture of jsb/sovereigns/vmxpells.

Is this cleaning kit any good. I’m thinking about cleaning the barrel through and just sticking to the JSB as I’ve had the best groups with them.

also best way to clean the barrel with the pull through kit as it’s bolt action?

Sorry for the silly questions.
    thanks

Jacob.

Attached Files:

2. Grey Man

Grey Man Posting Addict

Overpriced. Make your own pull-through.

3. Tom A

Tom A Posting Addict

Don't bother buying one. Make one out of a length of strimmer line or heavy-duty fishing line looped at the end. Pull-through patches can be cut from an old T-shirt.

Ulrichrudel likes this.
  4. DanBC

DanBC Engaging Member

Soaked in anything? Or as they are?

5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

That is the kit I indeed use, and it’s excellent to a point...

Basically I use the aerosol for wiping down the metal work, it’s VP90 and I don’t use that for barrels. So it’s handy to have anyway but I prefer to use a degreaser, current one is Abbey degreaser - for cleaning the barrel.

6. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer and general all round nice guy

Heyup Jacob... Make yourself one of these and the money saved will get you a couple of tins of pellets...

Bit of old nylon strimmer cord, a bit of earth sheathing and a toggle to pull it through with... You can use cheap nail polish removing pads off evilbuy for a couple of quid.

When using the pull through ,slide the loop down the barrel from the muzzle ( take off a moderator if fitted) cock the bolt and apply the safety catch...... When the loop apears out of the breech pop 2 of the small patches through the loop ( for .177 cal and 3 patches for .22) then pull the toggle and the patches up through the barrel cleaning out any crud...
    I sometimes use brake cleaner spray on the patches initially to remove any greasy residue first.. then use dry cloths.

20200525_091954.jpg

7. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

One word of caution ... if your breech seal is in the barrel, go carefully at the start as it can be dislodged pretty easily and a PITA to get back in place :up:

8. Nubble

Nubble Donator

It's good practice to do it with a new gun to clean all the gunk out.

I use a home made pull thru.
    :thumb:

Halinfax likes this.
  9. Hans Free

Hans Free Donator

I never clean the barrels on my
    rifles I think they’re best left alone

10. scooby1

scooby1 Posting Addict

yes make your own and give it a good pull through

11. CaptBlue69

CaptBlue69 Engaging Member

I have the same kit but I didn't have to buy it, the wife got me it for my birthday :thumb:
    It's a good bit of kit but only used 2 times in 6 months as I just give it a pull through every 4 tins :rolleyes:

12. Mike.lewis

Mike.lewis Very Active

I've got the same kit, yes it's cheaper to make your own but I couldn't be bothered. I give a new rifle a good clean then about every tin of pellets I give it a quick pull through - one wet patch then a couple of dry ones

13. Figgy

Figgy Keyboard Hero

Buy a tin of gun cleaner, it will last a long time. I use cleanzoil patches, one folded over a couple of times then put through the loop works great. Also leaves a coating in the barrel to stop rust and keeps fouling to a minimum.

talent likes this.
  14. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Busy Member

I use one of these, bay of e item # 172977968876

Really nice fella & quick service & tailor made to your requirements.

Screenshot_20200530-082909_eBay.jpg

15. Snowman1960

Snowman1960 Donator

+1 I use this type to and yes the guy is fast in both communication and delivery

Baldilocks likes this.
  16. Babyface Louie

Babyface Louie The Heretic

Just 'pulled the trigger' on this kit above. Seems a top bloke too.

17. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Busy Member

Mark is a great fella.

I've bought 2 from him now, and literally as soon as you've paid, he'll send a message thanking you for your purchase.

Some from the bay of e could do with taking a leaf out of his book.

18. Babyface Louie

Babyface Louie The Heretic

Totally agree :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

19. Snowman1960

Snowman1960 Donator

Make sure you measure the size of the brass weight unless you're using it on a break barrel.
    I ordered mine without thinking for my r10 ,I needed the smallest one ,made contact with the seller and he said he would send the proper one out ,I offered to return the original item, but he didn't want it back, so passed it on to someone else.

20. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Busy Member

Yeah, I bought a 10mm one for my Co2 gun with a tight loading area, but asked for a 15mm for the break barrel.

I highly recommend this guy & he's probably the most polite & efficient guy I've ever dealt with on that auction site.