1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

air pistol calibre question

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by danlightbulb, Feb 19, 2014.

1. danlightbulb

danlightbulb Engaging Member

Hi all,

This isn't meant to be a 'which calibre is better' thread, so please bear with me.

I'm thinking of getting an air pistol. I already have rifles both in .177 and .22. I prefer .177 because its easier to hit long range targets with, yet the .22 is better because you get a more solid pellet impact. With my .22 air rifle I struggle to hit much beyond 30 yards with any consistency. I think overall I prefer shooting the .177.

As an air pistol is only half the power, and will be used at a much shorter range (in my garden maybe 10 to 15 yards), will the drop off of the .22 be hardly noticable and therefore better to go for the pellet with the higher impact energy? Or will there still be significant enough drop off to make the .177 a better choice?

This isn't meant to be a 'which calibre is better' thread, but for me to understand whether the same principles apply to pellet size selection for lower power pistols over much shorter ranges as they do for longer range rifles which I'm familiar with already.

Thanks
    Dan

2. OLD GIT61

OLD GIT61 if no spring it wont do a thing

Dan i would have a .177 but thats me . So i only use guns in .177 but i do have .22 as well .The pistol i had was a webley premier in .22. And from brand new you could see the pellet come out of the barrel as you fired it ,sorry not my cup of tea.

3. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

If Target shooting - .177 - not forgetting most Pistols are well below Sub 6FP limit

Also most indoor clubs Only allow .177 to be shot on ranges - Less damage than .22

BOB/R

4. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Yes with reduced power still a much more loopy trajectory with .22
    I consider pistols at below 6ftlbs to be very awkward to shoot.
    Just my opinion.

5. Dynamite

Dynamite Donator

If your shooting at a fixed range does it matter?
    I've got 2 hw45s in 177 and 22,
    if I'm shooting cans and stuff with the kids the 22 comes out,
    with hobby pellets it gives the cans a good old beating!

6. Paul55

Paul55 Posting Addict

If you're shooting in your back garden why do you need a heavy hitting pellet? What are you shooting at? Heavily armoured gnomes?

7. Dsmith

Dsmith Engaging Member

Damn it. Just started a thread asking the same sort of thing. Typical. I didn't see this thread. Lol. Some interesting comments here

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I wouldn't buy a pistol in .22, you don't hunt with pistols so there is no need for higher power,you need enough power to put a hole in paper.

9. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

The power is the same whichever calibre you use, .22 has a more pronounced trajectory, but at short pistol ranges it doesn't matter. A .22 is less stressed to produce the power so the pistol may be a bit sweeter than .177 with less recoil.

John

10. Dsmith

Dsmith Engaging Member

Cheers guys. Much appreciated.

11. husky

husky Donator

If you ever look at the second hand market for Webly air pistols like the Tempest and Huricane you will see a lot more .22 than .177 pistols the pistols from BSA are the same. Over the years I have asked frends why the .22 and I get the same answer it has more power. We all know this is not true but to the man in the street it would seem to be that they link the biger pellet with power. In the real world the gun needs to work harder to fire a .177 pellet than a .22 so in fact the .177 is the more powerfule. I would go fot .177 every time but if you try the coke can full of water test a .22 is the one to get the buger jumping every time

12. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I'm a converted .177 man but that is with rifles for back yard plinking then I like the more solid impact you get from a .22 a pistol such as a hw45 will drill straight through a baked bean can in .177 and it will fall over. With a .22 it will also drill straight through but will be bounced around the garden . I don't see the point of flatter .177 trajectories at pistol ranges either so for more fun go with the .22