1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Air gun stuck in cocked position

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by chris_1982, Aug 23, 2007.

1. chris_1982

chris_1982 Active Member

Hi there, i'm a new user here and have been given my first gun, a BSA Mercury. It was found in a skip, in excellent condition, except for the fact it is obviously stuck in the cocked position with the spring compressed. Any idea of how i can fix this without spending a fortune on repairs? i guessed it could be rusted so poured wd40 down the barrel but its not helped.

2. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Hi there Chris, welcome to the Forums.

That sounds like a lucky find - the Mercury was and still is a good rifle.

The best thing to do would be to take it to a gun shop and get it looked over, they'll be able to fix any problems it may have, probably for no more than £20 unless new parts and extensive work is needed.

Now might not be the best time to say, but putting oil down the barrel isn't the best idea - but don't worry, it doesn't cause damage or anything.

So get it looked at, it'll probably only take five minutes to fix and then you'll be left with a great little rifle. Your only problem might be finding replacement parts as that model isn't made anymore, but with any luck they'll have some at www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk

Good luck,

James.

3. chris_1982

chris_1982 Active Member

Thanks for the reply james, i've just come off the phone from a chap at my local shop who opens late, he says it will be £40 to strip and rebuild. Should be worth it though i guess. Are rifles expensive? is it worth more than £40? i notice that the middle sight thing is missing so thankyou for your link there.

4. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I'd say the Mercury is worth £40, and that sounds like a good price for a re-build.

You'll have a great gun in no time :)

5. David

David Engaging Member

Hi chris and welcome

Im not sure on your experience of air guns but I will assume you are an experienced shooter with my reply.

When I buy a second hand gun the first thing I do is strip it down and rebuild it to make sure that the gun shoots properly and is smooth in operation.

You will have to do the same.

If you feel that this is beyond your experience you will need to take it to a gun smith who will look at it for you. parts for a springer are relatively cheap and the fact that you got this one from a skip would be a bargain find if you can get it fixed

Just do one thing for me, as this gun is already cocked make sure it is not loaded, ie there is no pellet in the breach for obvious reasons. if there is you will need to remove it from the barrel manually

If you decide to diy it your self just have one thing in mind, the spring is under a lot of tension and will cause you a serious injury if your not careful hence I would be inclined to advise you to take it to a gun smith

possible causes of your gun being stuck in the cocked position

Broken spring/piston/spring guide

faulty trigger/safety catch

A tuning kit runs for about £45 to £50 for the above parts but you will most certantly need to take it to a gun smith if the trigger is at fault

Good luck

David

6. jonballs

jonballs Well-Known Member

a little village near the norfolk/suffolk boarder
    if you are near bury st Edmund's or Diss, pop in and see me as i do Mercury's and most spring powered BSA`s for £30 including parts and labor

gun stripped and de lubed/cleaned
    new breech seal, piston seal, buffer washer and new spring
    gun is re lubed and reassembled and chronied.

cheers
    Jon

7. chris_1982

chris_1982 Active Member

I've only ever fired a gun once in my life, i'm looking forward to years of shooting though.

Some very good avice there, i think i will definately take it to a gun smith, not sure how to transport it though as i dont have a box for it.

sounds brilliant but i'm not local unfortunately. I live in wiltshire.

8. David

David Engaging Member

chris

The normal way to transport your gun is with a gun bag but as you do not have one then I would use/do the following

1. Inform the chosen gunsmith that your going to use his services to repair your gun and inform him what day you will do this... reason if you get stopped by the police you have a valid reason to carry the firearm and can prove this by phoning the gunsmith up. Remember you always need a valid reason to carry
    2. make up your own box, rap the gun up with anything (I have used a cut down dustsheet) that would show you have no intention of using your gun other than to deliver it to the gunsmith, a box is less obvious than a gun bag anyway and will not cause unnecessary concern from the public

When you have delivered the gun inform the gunsmith that you think it is cocked but not loaded so that he does not get injured from the compressed spring, it should take about 3 to 4 weeks to be restored to its origonal condition sometimes longer depending on available parts time enough to save up and buy a gun bag

Allways deliver a gun personally to the gunsmith they can see that they are dealing with a person who is legaly able to own this type of gun

good luck

David

9. chris_1982

chris_1982 Active Member

i think i will make an mdf/ply box for it this weekend or, are there any websites that sell gun boxes? i'll do a search on google. I'm a dab hand with wood so maybe i could save some money.

I checked out the website www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk that paperbag writer recomended and found that the early mk1 version of the BSA mercury gun 1972 (that i have) had a piston head that was prone to spreading within the cylinder and causing the piston to get stuck. I'm going to take the details to the shop tonight.

I'm quite interested in sanding down the stock and re-finishing it, also re-painting the gun, if anyone has any experience with this i'd appreciate it.

10. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

hi mate welcome to a wonderful and fulfilling sport...in regards to your mercury, i personally would suggest you take it to some one who knows what they are doing or to a gun smith..........as you said your new to this sort of thing so you dont know the ins and out of your gun.....also if like you say the rifle is stuck in the cocked position if you try to repair it yourself you could be putting yourself in serious danger ,the pressure on that spring is immense and if it releases at the wrong time you could easily kill yourself ......dont do it.....get some one to do it for you.....

11. David

David Engaging Member

I was thinking of a cardboard box should be suficent but if your going to make a box out of wood then cool, this would be no different from a gun case that is made out of plastic and foam lined inside. dont forget to show us all in the gallery when your finished:D:D

Good luck

David

12. chris_1982

chris_1982 Active Member

This morning i taken the gun to the wiltshire shooting centre and they are going to repair it for me, cost will be around £45 which i'm happy with. The only down side is that it will take six to eight weeks to be fixed! oh well, plenty of time for me to read about shooting at study these forums! The guy was really helpfull, i've already sanded down the stock and he went through with me how to finish it off nicely with linseed oil. In a couple of months i'll happily update my progress.

13. chris_1982

chris_1982 Active Member

i have updated the progress in the gun gallery, feel free to browse