1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Air Arms TX200

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by curzie, May 5, 2014.

1. curzie

curzie Member

Hi, I have just got myself a secondhand Air Arms TX200 while my BSA Lightning is being repaired. I have to say, I'm really impressed with the AA. Does anyone know how I can tell if it's a Mark 1, 2, or 3?

Thanks,

Curzie..

2. RTX

RTX Engaging Member

have a quick search on the forum to confirm my answer as this has been answered plenty of times but i believe the mk3 has 3 notches visible for the anti bear trap, whilst the mk2 has 2 and the mk1 doesnt have any

3. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Mk1 narrow barrel with a fatter muzzle end (mod/barrel weight?) no antibear trap
    mk2 narrow barrow with a fatter muzzle end with anti bear trap
    mk3 fishscale checkering on stock, shrouded barrel so same thickness over whole length and anti bear trap
    mk3 HC as mk3 but shorter barrel and end of barrel has removable insert to fit mod.

4. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

This isn't the case:

Mk1 = No notches visible on comp. cylinder when loading port is closed
    Mk2 = Three equally spaced notches visible on comp. cylinder when loading port is closed
    Mk3 - Three unequally spaced notches visible on comp. cylinder when loading port is closed

To the OP; good luck not throwing your Lightning in the bin when you get it back, now that you've experienced a decent springer ;)

5. curzie

curzie Member

Lol! Cheers, I know exactly what you mean! The BSA had to go back because one of the fore stock screws sheared off. I thought (hope) that the cause for the rifle's inaccuracy had something to do with a problem with this for a while (either that, or I'm just ***p at shooting!). Reading this forum, though the BSA doesn't seem to have got a good reputation. (And my shooting has been pretty good with the TX200!).

6. cloverleaf

Aye, that's a common problem with the Lightning (amongst others :rolleyes:) .

You've certainly set yourself a challenge with the BSA - hope it all pans out but in the long term you will / would do much better with a TX :)

7. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

You never misses an opportunity to slate them does yer leafy, I have to say that it kind of makes me a bit suspicious of your motives. No I am not having a pop at you, just giving voice to a passing thought.:)

Well not voice really, unless you read this aloud.

8. curzie

curzie Member

The TX200 looks a bit tatty, I would imagine it has seen a fair amount of action (stock badly scratched underneath, with a couple of deeper ones on the sides). It is a Mark 3 (thanks cloverleaf!). I have pretty much fallen for it though, it handles well and is very accurate. I'm thinking of having it fully serviced - new spring, etc. And maybe a new stock if I can source one - although I guess I could sand this one down and re-polish it. Any advice in terms of a good service centre (pref near either Manchester or Cardiff)?

9. RTX

RTX Engaging Member

10. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Sorry, just a bit confused with your answer, as you say (This isn't the case), then list Mk1,2 &3. Sorry to be a pain, but could you clarify. Atb, Bob.

11. curzie

curzie Member

Cloverleaf was replying to an earlier post. He's saying that it IS the case that;

Mk1 = No notches visible on comp. cylinder when loading port is closed
    Mk2 = Three equally spaced notches visible on comp. cylinder when loading port is closed
    Mk3 - Three unequally spaced notches visible on comp. cylinder when loading port is closed

Curzie

12. curzie

curzie Member

Hi RTX, yes, I saw that and it scared me half to death! I'm afraid that I'm pretty cack handed when it comes to stuff like that! Cheers for pointing it out but I would place a bet that the gun would never shoot again if I were to meddle with its internals.

13. RTX

RTX Engaging Member

haha no worries. Tinbum (the forum member making the tuning kits) will fit it for you and service if i remember correctly. It may be worth dropping him a PM

14. FPoole

FPoole Keyboard Hero

The post that was replied to said the MarkII had 2 notches. That's what wasn't the case. The list that was below by Cloverleaf is correct and I will add that the MarkIII came with the earlier stock before it changed to fishscale. All are the Marks good, but they are different in firing characteristics.

15. cloverleaf

I rarely miss an opportunity to voice my experiences and opinion; a trait shared with most forum members I think.

Would you care to speculate as to what my "suspicious" motives might be?

Perhaps I'm trying to devalue the marque before buying up the unwanted stock and flogging it off at an enormous profit; once word of my treachery gets out and everyone realises that the Lightning is actually the best designed, best value, most refined, reliable, accurate and well-made rifle on the market..

Perhaps I once caught a high-ranking member of BSA's management staff with his finger up my dog's arse* and I'm pursuing a tireless personal vendetta against the company in the name of "justice for Rex"..

Perhaps I'm just sufficiently familiar with the industry and have enough of a background to recognise when an unscrupulous company is trying to dupe fellow enthusiasts into parting with their hard-earned for over-priced, under-performing, substandard tat..

In other news, I see you've recently bought a TX200 ;) :D

:)

Yup, without wishing to offend some members, I think most will agree that the TX is a far better rifle than the Lightning will ever be. I'm afraid I can't recommend anywhere to carry out the work you wish, but as others have said it's pretty much the easiest springer you'll ever work on; so worth having a crack yourself if you're careful ;)

That said tbh TX's are well designed and well made, so if it's producing decent muzzle energy (11-11.8ftlb), is accurate and not making any nasty noises I'd be inclined to leave the action alone.

It may well be worth refinishing the stock - it's probably Beech which will bring it's own set of problems, but it's possible. I'd advise a forum / internet search as this is a whole thread in itself. Be careful of costs when replacing the stock - if the action's a bit tatty a new replacement stock could cost as much as the value of the rifle. Might just be worth it if the action's minty, though.

Good luck getting it sorted ;)

*in the name of clarification for BSA's legal team, I can categorically state that this never happened (at least Rex never mentioned it)

16. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I have indeed I have a liking for under leaver rifles more than break barrel jobbies, I already have one break barrel, which is enough for me. The TX was a reasonable price with a few extra goodies thrown in, so I am quite happy with it. It's a shame Beeza don't make an under lever jobbie anymore, or at least I don't know of one? I might have bought one if they did. I might be wrong, but you don't seem so anti regarding BSA PCPs?

Regarding your motives, I am not interested in trading point scoring exercises with you on the forum, I just wondered if you personally had been bit by any dealings with BSA or their products is all? I would be suspicious of anyone, who was so vehemently anti anything, it's just my way to wonder what axes people might be grinding.

17. cloverleaf

Apologies if I over-reacted slightly :p

My issue with BSA is purely one of principal (thankfully I've never parted with money for a BSA for my own long-term use; the only two I own are a Mk2 Meteor (c.1960s) and a Scorpion pistol (c.1980s); both of which I was given).

Somewhat idealistically I believe that the world should be a meritocracy where everyone is equal and expects to give and receive respect in equal measure. It makes me sad and extremely angry to see people misled / manipulated / subjugated / conned or otherwise exploited by others; whatever the context - politically, emotionally, economically..

As I think I've posted on here before, as a manufacturer of goods I think you have two approaches to generating profit. The right way, IMO, is to produce a thoroughly researched, developed and tested product that is the best it can be for the production cost, that the manufacturers and retailers can make a decent margin on and that the customer will be happy with.

Conversely the wrong way is to knock out any old crap as long as it's cheap as chips, put a massive margin on it and rely heavily on misleading marketing to shift as many units as possible before Joe public twigs he's been ripped off and sales nose-dive. The next step being to discontinue the gun in question (killing the bad rep with it) then release another POS and so the cycle continues.

Guess which model BSA subscribe to in my opinion :rolleyes:

While not a huge fan of BSA PCPs IMO they're generally fit for purpose and do have some decent features; however I think there are better made, more reliable alternatives for the money. Conversely I've found their current / recent springers to be overpriced rubbish with very few redeeming features other than their scrap value.

I don't like to see fellow enthusiasts duped by the comics and unscrupulous retailers into wasting their money on such crap. Similarly it angers me to see companies prosper who are responsible for such products - it's insulting to the intelligence of shooters that such products are still on the market tbh.

The forum is a place for discussion and learning; as someone with a little experience and knowledge I try to help steer unsuspecting individuals away from getting screwed, in the process satisfying myself that it's one less sale for a company with little respect for their customers and hopefully one more for a more deserving manufacturer.

I've been in many situations where I've had very little product knowledge and have always appreciated the honest guidance of those with more experience - I like to think I return the favour to others when I have the ability to do so and that an attitude like this generally makes the world a nicer place for everyone :)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  18. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Still lovin' the BSA Ultra you sold me CL :)

19. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I can empathise with pretty much all of that, and it's fairly obvious that you feel very strongly that Gamo? (question mark cos I aint sure)......have run BSA into the ground with less than ethical marketing and sale strategies. It's in my nature to question things, especially things that are expressed in such strong terms as you mostly do on this somewhat thorny subject. I am not saying you are wrong, I can't say that because I have only been back into this game 5 minutes. When I ceased shooting air guns some 40 years ago BSA were in my opinion top of the shop, along with the likes of Webley, and Diana to name but a couple. So it's a bit of a shock to me to find them being dragged through the barbed wire as you (maybe justifiably), are wont to do.

I guess I am a bit old fashioned in some ways, definitely out of touch it seems, but I have a kind of soft spot for stalwart and established British companies, especially those that have a history like BSA. I am very sad if this is misplaced, and it's a bit hard to take quite honestly. I think what is annoying and puzzling me, is that BSA (Brumijum), has the skills and the work force to produce good springer rifles, and they aren't doing it........

20. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

my mark 3 HC aint got the fish scale chequering?

has it been put in an earlier stock, or were the early ones in the mk2 stock?