1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Air Arms Tx200 Hc - Trick Or Treat

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Eglwyseg, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Eglwyseg

Eglwyseg Well-Known Member

Having moved out to the country nearly six years ago and with enough space in my back garden for a 25 yard range, I found myself quickly with three PCPs, all of which I love. Weihrauch HW 100 and HW 110 and then latterly the Daystate Renegade a Bullpup. All are in .177 calibre and as many of you will probably know, all deadly accurate!

Reading our forum I am delighted so many of us have remained with their Springers and this is where I really come in. I was weened on a Dianna 27 as a lad, do they still make these things, and have many happy memories with that air weapon, then later in life had the FWB 124 Sport which eventually went to live with my son.

Having three PCPs I suddenly wanted a Springer as I felt I needed to keep grounded with what some would call a 'proper' air rifle. You know who you are!

As usual, research showed a hell of lot of weaponry out there but having watched You Tube videos and as many reviews I could find, the Air Arms TX200 HC was suddenly in the sights.

So here we are, having owned the gun for about three weeks now the Air Arms TX200 HC which from herein I will refer as the TX200.

Let me start with the aesthetics and visuals. I went for a walnut stock and have to say what a pigs ear Air Arms have made of it. As an ex furniture restorer I was horrified to discover the stock has been stained. We simply do not stain walnut, no, not even on a gunstock! Certainly we can tone down the shade simply giving it an oil finish but never stain. If you look at the picture of the heel of the stock there is a rosewood block which is a very nice move from AA and similar to many quality pieces on stock heels and stock shoulders sometimes, a thin leaf of black and then the same with white. This is class as it is supposed to simulate the old furniture days when a piece was embellished with real ebony and ivory. Look at the photograph, my 'ivory' is brown from the stain. Tut, tut Air Arms.

However let's not be too impolite. Still on the stock, what a superb job AA have made with the chequering and all done with a laser beam they say. Beautiful fish scale pattern on the forestock and the handgrip. Very nice. But while on stock, why oh why couldn't this have been made ambidextrous, then those amongst who are left handed could just pick it up and good to go? Look at the photograph, Air Arms have removed wood to make this a single right handed piece and that knife edge top looks totally daft!

The metal bluing on the action casing and barrel is superb and almost mirror like and compliments the chequered woodwork no end, a beautiful piece indeed!

Never having had an under-lever in my life I was pleasantly surprised how relatively easy it was to cock this carbine but then my troubles really started. I had a hell of a job to load a pellet into the barrel end which sits in the now open breech. Of course I managed in the end but only after posting for help elsewhere in our forum. Thank you fellas, it has been a lot easier as some suggested, to point the gun upwards so the pellet sits on your thumb and then able to pinch it gently into the barrel. I hope I don't get chastised for this but if you don't have good dexterity then stay away from this gun or you will have a real job to load it. Practise has improved my loading, I have to admit, but certainly not ready to do it blindfolded as one of our colleagues here suggested. I did wonder, if the end of the barrel was polished just a little would that help further in loading?

On to my first shot. Crikey!!! Now Air Arms claim the weapon leaves their factory with a moderator [silencer] built into the muzzle end of the barrel. Their 'moderator' is a tiny plenum chamber about the length of three sewing thimbles with a plastic moderator attachment screwed in. I'm going to stick my neck right out on this one. It's a total gimmick! The gun sounded for all the world like a .22 rimfire! This gun must have a proper moderator or you will scare the hell out of the neighbours never mind the vermin if you are out hunting! I borrowed a Weihrauch silencer from one of my PCPs until I fitted a Kral which incidentally has more or less the exact same signature as the Weihrauch.

Hah! Now Air Arms call this weapon a carbine? Well, well, well! Having added 'a must have moderator', the 'carbine' is now an inch and a half short of four feet! A carbine, four feet long? Yep! No wonder Air Arms won't fit a silencer when leaving the factory. And to give its title as Hunter Carbine where exactly would one hunt? Kenya? So is this their other little joke? What did Air Arms say in their blurb, " you asked for a carbine, so we gave you one". Heh? Okay, then where is it? Four feet long, strewth!

Anyway, onward and upward. On to my range having fixed a Hawke Endurance to this big, big bang stick. I was initially horrified especially after all the reports I had read of the accuracy of this thing, my shots were all over the place. Suddenly I realised I had been spoiled rotten on PCP's these last few years. Then I remembered as a kid, someone had told me, the pellet has left the gun well before the recoil or else none of us would ever hit a target, sound advice for anyone I believe, you guessed it, I had been hanging on the my TX200 like a limpet waiting for the recoil. I should say here, yes there is some recoil but not really that much. Quickly taught myself to relax and shoot this proper air gun, the Springers here, I hope, will love that one and lo and behold I suddenly started grouping. I haven't got to five shots down one hole yet but by gosh, at 25 yards I can easily cover the group with a UK five pence piece. Considering I have a poor cataract in my shooting eye and have to work hard to get similar groups with the PCPs, I can only concur this is one damn fine accurate piece.

Did I mention this gun weighs a tonne? Perhaps yet another joke from Air Arms putting Hunter in the title. You will need a stile to rest this piece if ever out in the field and a sling will become an absolute must when off the range if walking about.

Many reviews have pointed to how simple this gun is and how easy to work on, to maintain and service it but one point that has niggled me from the outset, the trigger! It has about twice as much play in it sideways as it has to first stage take-up. It's a box of bits, yes it works but what an uncomfortable part of this weapon!

The real acid test for me is quite simple, would I buy one again. No!

I don't believe anyone could question it's accuracy, that is excellent. Build wise the chequering and the bluing, look pretty stunning. The cocking lever feels fairly slick.

If you just wanted fun, plinking in your back yard then I would concede this is a worthy air weapon but as a serious hunting weapon forget it. Far, far too heavy and long and burdensome and though some of my colleagues here have mastered loading the TX200 I would hate to be in half light conditions trying desperately to get a quick second shot in after my quarry.

Okay then, it's an accurate and fun weapon, although a mans' gun but in my view coming in at £550 [the walnut stock] it is at least £150 overpriced!

Thank you all for reading this and hope it helps those looking for a Springer.

JH

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. Enterpr123

Enterpr123 Well-Known Member

How many Weihrauch 124 sport’s were made?

3. Eglwyseg

Thank you so much for that, I'll get that amended immediately.

FWB 124 Sport ... about 61,00 were made between '73 and '86

4. Enterpr123

Enterpr123 Well-Known Member

No problem just joshing you, nice review.

5. Dag

Dag Very Active

The TX isn't for everyone, it gets high praise from many owners yet can be a pig to handle especially if you are slight of frame. The vertical loading makes it so much easier and it helps to let the pellet find its way gently into the breech instead of any attempts to 'push' it home ( a bit like something else but I've forgotten what!).
    The only problem I find with silencers is the length they add to the rifle but yes, the plenum does some noise reduction but isn't going to make a TX neighbour friendly.
    They remind me a bit of the HW45's in that they are an item many desire but perhaps don't satisfy some buyers as much as they'd anticipated.

6. john2667

john2667 Engaging Member

definitely not for the smaller person and can be a pig to shoot just because of there lazy shot cycle but once mastered they are a brilliant rifle. Ive had 2 now and I personally feel the .177 is the better calibre for this rifle and as for price you will pay close to £500 for a thumbhole stocked hw97 which is beech and doesn't have a high enough cheek piece to feel comfortable when a scope is fitted so personally the tx isn't over priced for what you get

telephonepete likes this.
  7. Eglwyseg

I'm six feet tall in my shoes, medium build so hardly, slight of frame.

I was initially quite shocked to discover there is really no way one can get away, reasonably quietly, firing without a dedicated silencer and suppose I was overcome by Air Arms' own blurb and shall we call them, professional reviewers, telling us a plenum chamber silencer was 'very' effective. They certainly are not!

But even when private reviews get hung out, the reviewer, though trying to be neutral is sometimes a great fan of his chosen brand and bias appears to creep in. I hope, at least, I came over, unbiased. I have no loyalty to Air Arms, this was my first purchase with them and certainly no axe to grind either way.

The TX200 needs a silencer, which one you put on, is up to the shooter of course but I needed to settle down a hell of a lot of noise in my view, so chose one about eight inches long, the same as on my Weihrauch PCPs.

Okay, we should compare like with like, many will say. We are talking about Springers not PCPs but the arena has now widened, we are talking about noise, we are also talking about length of weapon when we afford the title "Carbine"!

My Hw110 carbine with a full eight inches of silencer is two feet eleven inches long. Yep, 35" in total!

My TX200 carbine with the same brand/length silencer is nearly FOUR FEET LONG! Then to call it a Hunter is simply insulting to shooters! A carbine? Hunting what?

In my last paragraph [my original post] I said the TX200 is a fun gun, extremely accurate, though very over priced, and if this weapon has found favour with the Springers in the forum, then muzzles up!

I'm going with the FX200 as an over priced but great fun Springer and nothing else!

Carbine ... four feet long ... oh, b***** h*** damn ******** h***

Sorry, still can't get me head around a four foot long carbine and at weigh in, nearly as heavy as a Cold War SLR!

8. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Busy Member

Good review, thanks for posting. I hunt with my tx200hc just fine. No sling. No silencer. No problem. I'm a 5'9" 10st weed. Takes all sorts to make the world go round.

Reevo17 and telephonepete like this.
  9. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

I took this matter about the white spacer getting discoloured up with Custom Stocks and they explained to me that the OIL was not clear and the white Wood of the spacer picked up that colour. I suggested they used a good quality plastic but got nowhere. If that is your only reason for thinking that the stock is stained then you may be a little wide of the mark. I have had about 5 tx hunter carbine and full length and they are very well thought of guns and very well made. Frankly your post irritated the hell out of me everybody else takes time to come to terms with loading an underlever and even with a long scope covering the loading port there is still room to load using .177 pellets. As for accuracy is concerned my carbine is one of the most accurate rifle that i have. Coming from PCP,s a springer takes a fair amount of skill to shoot and takes time. I mean no offence but i think your thread should have been delayed until you were far more familiar with one of the best if not the best springer that is mass produced. And the tx has a fantastic trigger. Easily loaded even with port covered. Its silly really but after reading it i felt slightly offended.Its never even occured to me to stick 7 inches of moderator on the end of what is a really short true carbine. upload_2019-7-12_8-28-0.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    Reevo17 and Fusty Fieldcrafter like this.
  10. Eglwyseg

Hello,

No I'm not offended and believe you should not be even 'slightly offended'.

My review is an honest account of how I found the gun or would you prefer to read lots of patronising remarks about the products we take the time and effort to write about? When people read a review they hope they can glean something from it to let them decide as to whether or not that gun is going to be good for them. There are hundreds of people here who have the TX200 and they have found it a wonderful air weapon, that is all good for them! Equally there are some who reported, they couldn't get on with it and sold it quickly on.

You have been in touch with Custom Stocks for them to tell you the oil isn't clear? As a nationally known furniture restorer/maker/designer I would not put my head on the block to criticise, without thought, the wood finish on a gunmakers' stock! Then you say 'I'm a little wide of the mark' for stating the stock on my gun was stained. I don't know how you believe a non clear oil is not a stained oil? There is a dark stain in the oil to turn the white layer brown. As a professional restorer, I will reiterate, walnut is NEVER stained, the whole idea of walnut anything, is the inherent beauty of the wood in the first place!

Your comment about accuracy is another contradiction. You tell us all it has been the most accurate rifle you have ever known. If you draw yourself to my review again, I mention at least twice how impressed I was with the accuracy. It's a damn fine piece as far as accuracy goes! We agree?

As far as the trigger is concerned I reported on how I found mine, the side play is horrendous! Yours is a 'fantastic trigger'. Your fantastic trigger simply doesn't make mine better. My review is an almost out of the box review. I simply cannot make an honest review and overlook a gun with a trigger with more play sideways than play up to first stage. You have a good one, I have a bad one. Air Arms should have spotted this on their quality control inspection before setting it out to the market place. Believe me when someone comes to buy a gun for £550 they will want to know about these issues!

Getting used to any air weapon will take some finite time but four weeks into my TX200 I still say it is a bugga to load. Why should I not report that. There will be hundreds out there far less dexterous than myself who will certainly find that very helpful when deciding what they want. Only yesterday, I read within our forums a guy took a 'bath' and got rid of his HW110 after spending £750 on it, then selling it for £500 after just one week! Loading the magazine is an absolute bugga for some! Wouldn't it be nice if he could have read a damning review of others finding that problem, before he bought it? As it happens I'm more than dexterous enough to overcome the difficulty on that particular PCP but recognise we all are different!

I finished my review but will make a repeat here just for you ... "it's an accurate and fun weapon"

I'm happy for fair challenge to any of my reviews but my honest accounts will always be a priority, otherwise what's the point of writing this stuff?

Muzzles up!

JH

Gary Jones likes this.
  11. subzeer0

subzeer0 Engaging Member

well i enjoyed your review..of exactly what YOU thought.the tx200 is only the second springer ive owned...but coming to terms with it...now then what clear oil would you recommend for my walnut stock...mine looks very dry without a finish on at the moment but a silky sheen would look nice

12. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Interesting write up and have never had a problem with any TX I've used in either calibre. What I am interested in, is what alternative would you buy instead ?

13. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Well to me with a lot of experience of the tx using it i mean. i make no claim as a tuner. Also talking to many other people on the forum I think you are probably the first person that i have come across who is vaguely disatisfied with the tx. You say you would not buy another so i assume that means not satisfied. Most people who own one are more than satisfied with the gun. I dont have access to my hunter carbine at the moment but it is the shortest gun in my cabinet. It is a short chunky Heavy Carbine which exudes quality. Air arms copied the hw77/97 but took it on and beat hw hands down on quality a fact that i resented for a long time as i am a bit of a weihrauch enthusiast. How anybody can put 8 inches of moderator on that beautiful gun and then complain it takes away its Carbine status is beyond me but of course thats up to you. I plink in the garden with mine and i would never do that. Most of the noise comes from the action anyway. I would think, i dont really know that most people shoot it without having a mod on the front. As far as the oil goes i oil a lot of stocks and i have never seen a perfectly clear oil. If you have more sideways play in your trigger than the movement in your first stage trigger then there is something wrong that needs fixing. My main objection to your post is that if somebody was wondering whether to buy a tx,he really could not do better. I think after reading your post he probably would go elswhere and that would be a shame.

john2667 likes this.
  14. Eglwyseg

"Oil finish, silky sheen", obviously a man of great taste.

Remember you are embarking on a finish where you will need patience to swipe on perhaps as many as 10 thin coats but I will guarantee your stock will be the envy of those around you.

Remove the stock from the gun and lightly rub down the wood with a fine grit paper going with the grain always. Nothing heavier than a 600 grit or 800 or even a 1000. Better, you could use wire wool, again very fine say 000 grade but 0000 will give you an even better result

I expect when this is up on the forum everyone will rush to tell you what they use but this will give you that silky shine you are after.

There any many oils you can use but my advice is definitely stay away from Tung oil and Danish oil which can get very sticky and not give you the finish you are after, far too shiny. If you choose Linseed oil then also don't use the straight stuff as you will wait for days to see it dry. On a job as this, boiled Linseed oil always. Boiled is a bit of a misnomer as the oil is only ever heated and then some driers are added so cutting drying time down. Whatever you use don't be surprised the first coat or two virtually disappear into the wood.

But best, if you have an IKEA in your area then I get incredible results and very, very easy to use from their wood finish Behandla. I have used a lot of finishes on all sorts but this stuff is remarkable. Essentially it is Linseed oil but in an emulsion. Don't be put off by its colour which is a whitish cream looking stuff, it's transparent when it hits the wood.

All you need is a small piece of cotton cloth to apply your oil or Behandla if you go that way. Simply dip into your oil and then back and to going with the grain. The chequering was a small problem as excess oil wants to stay in the carvings. No problem at all. Simply get an artists brush, doesn't need to be too fine and tease the excess out. Then with an unsaturated part of your cloth wipe off any excess over the whole work. It won't streak and then leave to dry which will be touch dry fairly quickly but don't be tempted to apply a new coat but let it dry a few hours or better apply a coat a day until you have the silky sheen you want for you.

My picture shows my stock having had just three coats of Behandla and already a sheen is making a show.

If you are put off by applying many coats then know each coat can be applied in no more than say ten minutes before leaving to dry. As said earlier neither be put off when the first couple of coats appear to have disappeared.

You will have an excellent finish in no time at all and hope you will post us all a picture when done.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

pjgtech likes this.
  15. robs5230

robs5230 If it's a springer, it will be oversprung

Been saying for years that the Hunter Carbine is rather cheekily named.
    Fine rifle though, just not my choice of a springer for hunting

16. Steve Mecrow

Steve Mecrow Newbie

I just bought a .22 TX for ratting.
    I normally shoot PCP.
    I read everything I could and came to the conclusion that it was not worth buying something cheaper and if you are gonna buy then only buy once.
    I shot the HW77KT with laminate stock side by side with this before finally deciding and the TX is much nicer (IMO). Less "twangy".
    The laminate stock on the HW is gorgeous and I so wanted to prefer that gun based on looks - but at the end of the day its a tool.

Sighted in within 5 minutes and so far, for what I bought it for its perfect. Probably overkill for what I needed but I like guns ;-)

But I agree with others and the OP - it's too heavy for proper field work.
    Be a great HFT gun in .177 - well we all know it is don't we.

hairyarms likes this.
  17. john2667

john2667 Engaging Member

they are effective trust me, take it out then fire the rifle but a silencer makes all the difference

hairyarms likes this.
  18. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Busy Member

I didn’t want to extend my TX200hc walnut with a huge silencer

So I opted for an AA q-etc Galahad silencer.

VERY short, screws straight into the TX barrel and does a great job of muffling the muzzle crack :thumb: 63BD0BAA-EAA5-477F-AAFF-CDC816189ABB.jpeg

19. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Busy Member

Galahad Q-tec E712F48E-928F-42F1-9912-8C23B211EC2C.jpeg

sabc likes this.
  20. hairyarms

hairyarms .

I think a .22 TX is a great ratting rifle, I have shot loads with one but like you say they are not so good for lugging around the fields but still doable.

Steve Mecrow likes this.