1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Air Arms S510 Or S510 Tdr?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hampshire Tog, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Am toying with the idea of getting an AA PCP and am undecided between a TDR and a carbine either the Superlite Hunter Green or Carbine Walnut - haven't decided yet. Rifle to be used for HFT, plinking and target shooting and maybe hunting as and when a permission can be obtained. Will be in .177.

Would be keen to hear any pros or cons on either of these rifles. I am especially keen to hear whether on the S510 TDR, there is any stock wobble.

Many thanks in advance for any insights.

2. shw

shw Engaging Member

Have you thought about the ultimate sporter R

Stinger12 and chuggypop like this.
  3. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

I’ve always liked tdr’s and shot count shouldn’t be a problem. I had a s410 tdr and there was no stock wobble at all.

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  4. fixedwheel

fixedwheel Busy Member

Do you need the multi-shot? I have gone for HFT500, also has a higher capacity cylinder for increased shot count.
    Mainly bench rest shooting at the moment, and stunningly accurate (in someone elses hands, I still have a lot to learn)

Hampshire Tog likes this.
  5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The only reason to go for the TDR is if you particularly want the takedown feature, as you pay a price against the standard rifle in terms of ergonomics and the anti-tamper likely being a particular b*stard. The standard gun also holds 50% more air and is likely better balanced too.

From my experience of the S410TDR there's no stock wobble and it's certainly one of the better designed and executed takedown guns; just not so good in some ways compared to the standard gun.

1260engineer and Hampshire Tog like this.
  6. chuggypop

chuggypop Marmite - I'm undecided.

As luck would have it, I dug my 510R out just yesterday with a view to selling her as I never use her now I have the Artemis P15. Gave her a wipe over and decided to play for 15 minutes in the garden (about an hour before I had been using the P15 for a bit of plinking and the target holder was still in situ) so in goes a target and I began the reacquaintance. What a bloody class act these things really are, 10 gentle nudges in the shoulder and a ragged one hole group over 27 yards. I cannot sell this gun, even though it is far too heavy for me now, it's simply too good to be without.

7. Maj S

Maj S Engaging Member

I have a HFT500 its deadly accurate, and great shot count. I'd recommend them all day long. Happy Gun Shopping

Hampshire Tog and fixedwheel like this.
  8. pjgtech

pjgtech I shoot, therefore I aim......

Can't comment on the 510TDR, but no stock wobble on my 410TDR.
    The standard gun is arguable a better gun, more shots, etc, but.....
    The TDR is just cool! :D Issa James Bond gun innit bruv..... :thumb:

PBaz Barrett, Tim_B and Hampshire Tog like this.
  9. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

I owned a 510 TDR.
    Accurate enough, but for me and I dont have large hands, very cramped in relation to the distance between grip and trigger.
    Forend is way too short which compromises a good hold / stance, and makes it feel heavier than it really is.

Unless you have a fascination for taking the rifle apart and putting it in its case, then reassembling to use it, I'd give it a big swerve.

Its a bit of a shame really as it uses the same cylinder / shroud / silencer configuration that the Ultimate Sporter uses. In my mind the perfect combination for a hunter.
    The s510, weirdly uses a longer cylinder and a totally useless (in terms of silencing effect) shroud and needs an add on mod, which makes it a bit of a musket.

So I suppose I'm saying, neither

10. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Yes, I have but I prefer a lighter gun. Not sure what you get with the US other than adjustable cheekpiece and a heavier stock.

11. shw

shw Engaging Member

With the R version you also get a few more shots with a 250 bar fill

Stinger12 likes this.
  12. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I can't say I'm particularly fond of any of the guns you mention :rolleyes: It's not that they are bad, just ............... inappropriate for what your looking for in my view :oops:

The only reason to buy a TDR is for portability, if you don't need that feature it's not the right gun for you. The Superlights are nice enough, but they mark so easily, I've had a couple of them and would not have another, as both got "damaged" when any other gun would have just shrugged it off, and they are not that light anyway compared to the standard ones.

Perhaps think if you want a single shot or a multi shot? Both of these are available from the AA510 family that the other two are related to, so perhaps a standard s510/US/HFT500 could be the better choice for you?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    1260engineer and Hampshire Tog like this.
  13. cloverleaf

James makes a good point about the Superlight - they balance beautifully but are soft as shoite, impossible to repair when dinged and compromised ergonomically compared to a dedicated RH stock.

jesim1 likes this.
  14. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

I've got to admit I am attracted just a little bit by that 'assassin chic' of the TDR.

pjgtech and Tim_B like this.
  15. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

That's a really useful piece of information about the stock. OK, so if I opt for an S510 carbine, then consider the walnut RH stock and not the superlite. Thanks for that nugget. You have to love this forum!

cloverleaf likes this.
  16. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I prefer a multi shot. Can one get a single shot tray for the S510? I haven't really considered the HFT 500. At 3.7kg un-scoped it looks like a real lump. I see guys at the club with them and they have forearms like legs of mutton. I'm just not built that way. I should add, I'm looking to do HFT for fun rather than serious competition. I have to say, a rifle with a walnut stock for under a grand looks like good value for money and you don't hear many horror stories about them...or do you?

jesim1 likes this.
  17. cloverleaf

Yes; the walnut is the smart choice IMO as it's lighter than the beech, looks nicer and (within limits) is far easier to repair if dinged (self-coloured and oiled rather than stained and lacquered). Beech and Walnut are dedicated RH/LH and have the same geometry, Superlite is ambi ;)

18. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Yep, single shot loaders are available for the S510, but be careful, I've bought two and neither worked properly but looked fine, I may just have been unlucky though, so don't go for a cheap one, you have to pay for quality on occasions.

19. Ray13

Ray13 "You failed to maintain your weapon son".

I have an S510 TDR. It was bought specifically for hunting and portability. I can report there is no stock wobble on mine, just a bit of an annoying squeak when dis-assembling it. It fits me very well, being small in stature. I bought a Rowan single shot loader for it - they are quality.
    I also have an S410 with an ambi Superlite stock. As has already been commented, the poplar wood stock is very soft and even a slightly over tightened bipod will leave an unsightly impression in the wood. It is quite well balanced but I would trade that stock for a walnut one at the drop of a hat.
    If you only might be using the rifle for hunting but mostly for HFT, target or plinking then I wouldn't get the TDR. I would probably go for an Ultimate Sporter. The TDR is a bit of a "marmite" rifle but if it fits you, you will enjoy using it. You need to shoulder one before buying and also try the Ultimate Sporter. The US might be a bit heavier but that can often mean greater stability on the shot.

20. fixedwheel

fixedwheel Busy Member

You might think the HFT is heavy from the book figure of 3.7kg, but if you take a look at other rifles, such as the TX200 in walnut at 3.9kg, or the ProSport in walnut at 4.1kg. And people love these as balance is more important.
    One of the other great things about the AirArms 4XX/5XX range is the interchangability of stocks. One stock bolt and you can swap around your action/scope into another stock. Full blown benchrest setup, and then to a GRS aftermarket stock in moments.

hants, jesim1 and Hampshire Tog like this.