1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Air Arms S400 at 100 yards

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Aug 10, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

So... went up the club last week; the plan being to benchmark my (not-particularly-well-grouping) HW100 against my (known-good) Air Arms S400 MPR parts bin mongrel; for use as evidence should I have decided to return the HW to HC and complain about its poor performance.

As it happened the HW was shooting "acceptably" following a barrel clean (a shade under 11mm c-c average at 35yds over 4x10 shot groups with Exacts), however the Air Arms wasn't excelling itself on this occasion; printing similarly-sized groups with AA Express at the same range.

The Express pellets are from a batch of 10 tins I purchased on the strength of a tin of the same batch no; however unfortunately the pellets I bought in bulk were supplied to the shop in a later shipment - one that was evidently kicked around the sorting room floor, judging by the amount of damaged pellets present :mad:

Anyway, in the absence of anything better to do I put the backstop out at 50m (55yds) and shot a few more groups; the AA behaving itself reasonably and averaging around 20mm c-c with me doing my best to inspect and reject damaged pellets as I shot. Out of sheer buggeration (and since it turned out to be an incredibly still night) I put a card out at 100yds and fired 20 shots at it from the bench; below is the resulting group:

[​IMG]

The group measures around 54mm c-c or a shade over 2" and is easily the best group I've managed at this range. This was with the Sidewinder wound right up to 14x and aiming high (by about 2.5-3ft) at another aperture further up the target frame.

I have to come clean and state that there was one very low shot just on the bottom edge of the card; but this could easily have been a duff pellet or (more likely) driver error if I got the POA wrong on that shot.

Obviously it's not up to rimfire of centrefire standards, the slightest hint of breeze would have ruined it all and I'd never consider hunting past 35-40yds; however I think this is very impressive for a sub-12ftlb rifle :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  2. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I've seen worse with factory ammo in a couple of c/f rifle down at minsterly range a few years back.

I think the groups is very decent good shooting

Andrew

3. Picklehoffer

Picklehoffer Ministry of Foolishness

Looks good to me mate! I have an S400.....brilliant thing!

4. gtfreight

gtfreight Not so busy member.

Considering the drop is going to be over 2ft (if zeroed at 35yds) I think that is excellent. Was this done indoors or outdoors?

5. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Looks pretty good to me!

7. cloverleaf

Cheers guys :)

Yup - fantastic consistency from the AA Express - I wonder how much better it could have been had they been in better shape..

It was outdoors - if I had access to a 100yd indoor range I'd be like a pig in Censored tbh :p

Thanks - good shooting in that vid although b*llocks to standing at the target filming while my mate shot though - haven't they ever heard of a tripod!? :eek:

8. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

:D I have to admit I thought even at 100yrds it would sting a bit.

9. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Think daz and steve did a few videos didnt they elliot ?? There was a few in the long range crowed sure more than a few videos were posted

Very good shooting that cloverleaf very very good for sub 12 atvb dave

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  10. David M

David M Donator

Excellent group mate..! I'd have been more than happy with the 20mm c-c at 55 yards....:eek:....:up:

The only long range stuff I've tried was from a hide on a very quiet pigeon day. There was a knot in a post in front of a bank over the other side of the field, it was 65 yards away and took me at least 6 shots to work out the drop. The nearest I got in 10 shots was about an inch away, most missed at the side of the post or were over 2" up or down..! There was a slight breeze now and then and I was just propped on shooting sticks, that's my excuse..:eek: I use an s400 that groups great out to 35 yards on AA Diablo Fields and runs at 11.4ftlbs but that's my limit.

Great shooting Cloverleaf.......:up:

11. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

when the pcp's are running right groupings can be tiny.
    my shooting buddy just did about of 1" group edge to edge at 75yards! in .22! in the sticks! he has been trying new pellets out and cleaning the barrel etc... it was a hw100 kt (but actually the equivalent of the modern t model) running at 10ft lb.

i was supprised how well it grouped! he also did 35 and 50 which were consistently smaller.

12. cloverleaf

Image sorted..

13. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

I would say that pretty dam good at 100yds i like to shoot from 50 to 100 Yds and i dont think i could do that good even on a calm day.:thumb:

cloverleaf likes this.
  14. Richard Ellis Jones

Richard Ellis Jones Busy Member

Here's mine with the sub 12 Mk1 Airwolf.

15. Jasglo68

Jasglo68 Its not about the size it’s where you put it !!

But you missed :laff:

16. Richard Ellis Jones

Haha not quite, the target was the point of aim not the intended point of impact. If I shot the aim point out then future shots wouldn't have had the same point of aim ;)

17. cloverleaf

Nice work - that's a fantastic group :)

I must admit that as much as I dislike Daystate and their products, I can't deny that the electronic guns seem to give fantastic accuracy (providing their mags aren't pished / shrouds aren't wonky of course :rolleyes:).

18. Richard Ellis Jones

I've completely removed the shroud and attached a moderator directly to the barrel. Chops a good length off and eliminates the clipping it suffered with.
    Rich
    P.s ditched the mag too as it's far more accurate at range using the single load tray.

The Robin and cloverleaf like this.
  19. cloverleaf

Nice work - sounds like yours was afflicted with the usual ailments to start with then, too!

I must admit I'm intrigued by how far you could push the electronic platform in terms of accuracy and efficiency; I reckon a fully-mappable rifle with massive porting could be incredible..

The Robin likes this.
  20. Richard Ellis Jones

It's already very efficient as it uses the Harper valve system. A fully programmable board would be nice yes but it's already programmed to be as efficient as can be.
    I've wondered though if a modified or different solenoid could improve things further.
    Rich