1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Aiming After Zero. If Out Of Dots Etc.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by bigal, Jul 13, 2018.

1. bigal

bigal Jedi.

Shoot above and guess, some don't and no the art of shooting, ;) al

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    DRAGONBAIT666 likes this.
  2. pjgtech

pjgtech Post Whore

Erm? what? me no understandy.....? :facepalm:

carnivore and DRAGONBAIT666 like this.
  3. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

my mildots are the same at whatever mag i have it on

4. PeteJ

PeteJ Well-Known Member

+1

5. neiled

neiled Donator

I take it your scope's FFP then?

6. bigal

bigal Jedi.

So if the target passed the bottom mark on a FFS, where do u aim.
    Got 1 on my rimmy as that still on the marks passed 200yds.
    But on the fac rapid. Don't cover 100yds onwards, ;) al

7. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

no but the difference is practically zero, its a matter of a few mm at the target, i dont see the need for a ffp ret it certainly doesnt double the mildots by doubling the mag...btw i dont shoot 100 yards though

8. bigal

bigal Jedi.

Sfs scope doubles the range by half the mag,
    Some fac guns can group at under a inch at 100yds then there set right. ;)

20years back I watched lads Doncaster way hitting a rabbit head spinner out 2 110yds, using a mk1 daystate huntsman on 40ft.
    Dailing in after zero. Later that day I saw a bunny bagged at 117yds,

I jointed the ton up gang on the visit the year after, 101yds the rangefinder said. On my rapid.

So mastered the art on scope fiddling at a range, normally test 150yds 3 times a week on keeper mode up the wood, ;) al

32:1 likes this.
  9. darklord

darklord Keyboard Hero

Ere just aim over no problem. Mil dots are for puffs we never had problems with 30/30 in the 80s shooting off the scope

32:1 likes this.
  10. bigal

bigal Jedi.

U never took bunny's out at 150yds with a airgun dear friend,
    I no some have, ;) u use all bits to help do so. Guessing don't get u there, ;) al

11. warrenater

warrenater Donator

Put em out of their misery al , if you don't have a ffp scope its easier co's you can use a smaller magnification , eg if you are shooting at a 50 yard target and your pellets are dropping 1 dot half the mag from x12 to x6 and the drop will be 1/2 dot :) . notice i did not say mildot cos its only a true mild at one magnification .

12. gasman

gasman Me love you long time

Still have no clue?

13. warrenater

warrenater Donator

ok put a a4 sheet of paper out at 50 yards with a mark at the top . Use 12x mag, now put your crosshair on it and take a shot . now put your crosshair on the mark again and note where your shot fell on your reticle scale . Halve the magnification to 6x and take another look another look ,you should find its not so far down the scale this time .
    Therefore going back to Als original post being out of dots you can lower the mag , that plus plenty of time practising and you have your answer .:)

14. bigal

bigal Jedi.

Thanks Gary for the post above, ;)
    I worked out on fac, I got the gun set on 10x, basic mill dot, bottom point, 100yd aim point.
    Trick I started was, after that range for 110yds I can turn the mag to 9x, aim using the bottom point again. Then 120 is 8x mag,
    Get to 150yds I turned down to half the mag of ten and still using the bottom point of the scope.
    In that mag the 100yds mark is 2.5 dots,

So shows each 10yds after 100yds I can use still higher mag than running on half the scale on ranges above 150yds back to 100yds,
    Eg 130yds is 7x on the bottom mark.

FFS scope falcon on that range works out to 150yds, I tested that too, that as 20 marks to use. Eg 5yds each mark, so 150yd drop hits the bottom mark u can use,
    That's on the rimmy to make most of the range/drop, not on rapid. Al

warrenater likes this.
  15. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

Easiest way is to just buy a scope with an extended Mil dot reticle, hopefully more of these extended Mil dot reticles will become available from other scope manufacturers -
    [​IMG]

mr rooney likes this.
  16. bigal

bigal Jedi.

Think I shown that,
    In my wood where I am on keeper mode, the rapid works in action to 100yds normally, squirrel the main target.
    Learnt the art of the above when I used to go up north to my cousin,s shoot, Duke of Westminster 30000 acre,
    U shoot 200 bunny's over a weekend etc. Story was in airgunner mag may 2010.
    U soon turned to testing shooting when u shoot 20 in 10mins at 50yds etc, then walk back to the Jeep with them. Lol. Once saw 40 carryed back to base,
    So just learnt the art of hit bunny's a bit more out.
    This was over 8 years plus back. So scopes where rare with the etc dots or I have 1. ;)

17. neiled

neiled Donator

Just use the Strelok Pro App together with a LRF and it'll give you the aim points for each mildot at each different mag levels.

Simply input the target distance and then slide the adjuster until a mildot is on your target, then read off the mag and mildot to use. You'll find you can choose between a higher mag and more mildot holdover or lower mag and less mildot holdover.

Examples below for a HW100 .177 at a 32 yard zero (64 yds = x3 mag at 1 mildot or x6 mag at 2 mildot or x9 mag at 3 mildot) Note: I'm not saying I shoot sub12 at 64 yards, this is purely for example purposes

Attached Files:

• x3.png
      x3.png
      File size:
      169.3 KB
      Views:
    • x6.png
      x6.png
      File size:
      199 KB
      Views:
    • x9.png
      x9.png
      File size:
      208.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    garyjm and warrenater like this.
  18. bigal

bigal Jedi.

Thanks Neil, ;) al

19. mr rooney

mr rooney Busy Member

That’s what I use. Combined with a Nikon range finder any target on the range between 8 and 100 yards needs to worry....a lot !
    I use a fixed 10x mag so it’s easy to remember all the aim points at various ranges.