1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Ah Well Going To Have Another Bad Tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by fatplumber, Dec 4, 2020.

1. fatplumber

fatplumber Engaging Member

On the clays, I wonder if I can improve on my miserable performance last time. :facepalm:

WR14210 likes this.
  2. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Does your gun fit you?
    Remember to keep swinging as you pull the trigger, lots of people stop the gun as they pull the trigger.
    Be in front of the clay, you may just hit it, you'll never hit it if your behind it.
    Go watch some shotkam clay shooting videos, see where your gun to clay needs to be

rbov likes this.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Posting Addict

So many variable answers to your question FP, eg have you had any tuition, gun fitting etc? You don't say at what level you are at, but if you've had a few lessons and a gun fitted to you, then practice is key. Keep at it mate but most of all.....enjoy it.:thumb:

fatplumber likes this.
  4. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Could go on all night with advice. BUT best I ever got was. AIM TO MISS IN FRONT!

Molgraze, rbov, Pete2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

Don't ffs go there thinking you're going to shoot poorly, think positively and start on an easy stand it you're allowed, build a bit of confidence.

rbov likes this.
  6. Storcky

Storcky Keyboard Hero

Nothing like a positive approach.
    Relax and enjoy yourself.

ibo7 and rbov like this.
  7. rbov

rbov Engaging Member

Whenever I start missing more than I’m happy with I go back to basics and pre mount the gun ready for the clay to be released from the trap. It removes the “mounting the gun” variable out of the equation so you can focus on the clay.

fatplumber likes this.
  8. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

I find I just cant shoot gun up. I start concentrating on the barrel. Gun down I dont even see where the barrel is! Only see the clay. Each to his own. Before you even go to the clay ground your mount should be perfect. Practice on that spider inn the corner of your bedroom!

fatplumber likes this.
  9. Stockscrew

Stockscrew Posting Addict

You don't say what discipline you are shooting but this is how I go about it. In the past I have had guys come to me and ask if I would teach them to shoot clays. Most of them had a suitable gun that was a reasonable fit so I would say ok. At the ground after a bit of safety chat I would take them to the DTL range and say 'come on let's see how you shoot these'. When they are hitting 18/20ex25 we move on to the skeet range and go through the same process, Only when they are getting proficient at both was a visit to the Sporting layout suggested, too soon and my shooter would get disheartened with a low score, however, this may take weeks and some do not have the perseverance. My logic is that in what you have learnt at Skeet and DTL has covered most of what will be met at Sporting and you should have some idea on how to go about it. Crossing birds, going away and driven in some form or another have been successfully shot and now what has been learnt can be applied to sporting. Many shooters can see shot in the air and if you ask one of them to stand behind when you shoot they can tell you where you miss so on the next bird you can adjust your aim. There's an old video out there called 'Move, mount and shoot' by John Bidwell, find it, watch it, apply what he shows and your shooting will improve dramatically.

fatplumber likes this.
  10. fatplumber

Not as bad as last time but my grandson, for whom I arranged this, shot like a pro. :confused:

2506sendero likes this.
  11. fatplumber

Just seen the title it wasn’t meant to be bad but bash! :facepalm:

Well thanks for all the responses chaps. I don’t have my own gun and this was my second outing at Polowood in Falmer. I’d never shot clays before and the last time I picked up a shotgun was 1968. Mostly I’d shot bunnys, pigeon and the odd pheasant. I have shot more rimfire and 303 than game. Still I love it but I’d prefer a nice walk with some rough shoot involved. Pigeon are a lot easier than clays.