1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advise for lifetime Springer

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tomsteebs, Aug 30, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Hello again,

Right I'm on the brink of starting my Springer for life.

As I turn 21 in a few weeks, I want a springer that will mark this and it will be engraved by v-mach to mark the occassion and also fully tuned by them.

Now I have a couple of break barrels I've narrowed it down to:

Fwb 127 sport
    Hw95
    Old webley longbow
    Air arms pro elite

Now, I can get a mint cs stocked fwb next week. But the stock would possibly go at some point anyway. Not sure on these rifles tbh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hw95's are abundant and there maybe too common for custom? Is that a good thing for custom or not. Who knows. I like to think custom should be uncommon ie: less repeatable. Good trigger though.

Old webley longbow, these are the ones with really deep blueing which is hard to describe other than imagine venom blueing twice as dark with a lacquer on top. Hard to get hold of though.

Air arms pro elite is a dark horse I know nothing about and might be too hard to get hold of.

Any thoughts on what you'd choose and why?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Hmmm, of your list I'd go for a HW95, but if I could only have one springer, personally I'd choose a HW80.

3. Scott srs

Scott srs Well-Known Member

I misread the post and thought you wanted advice on becoming a swinger
    thought it was abit of topic :)

4. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Hmm I new someone would say that, what makes the hw80 over the 95? Thought it was a fac orientated version? So bigger and heavier? Although the mach 1's were hw80's weren't they?

5. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I'm all ears to your advice :D

6. Jed Clampit

Jed Clampit Posting Addict

From your list l'd go for the 95, because it's the only one I have any experience of. That experience would also add an HW98 to your list, same action but I found the heavier barrel made it easier to be consistent with

7. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

We used to swing from trees when we were young............Oh wait, you meant :eek:

Andy :)

8. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

The 80 is a big old lump, designed to shoot well above out legal limit, and so runs very smoothly at 12fpe. As it's not running at anything like its' full potential the cycle is smooth and it's not working hard, so isn't under any undue stresses. It's built like a tank and very reliable, and also takes tuning very well indeed.

9. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Your tempting me now haha, I'd guess that would cause slow shot cycle though?

Atb
    Tom

10. 177

177 Donator

The only one from your list I haven't owned is the Air Arms, but I have shot one a fair bit courtesy of an old friend.

From your list I'd go for the 95 or the Longbow without a doubt.

I don't have time to go through some of the 'characteristics' of the FWB, most of which are positive, some of which are bloody aggravating. I sold both of mine last year.

The 95 is probably the strongest candidate - its widespread availability means there are about as many available routes and options to explore to suit all tastes.

The Longbow is less flexible in this regard but can be workex up into something truly special.

Mch as I absolutely love the HW80 I see no point in taking a heavy rifle and adding more weight to it by sleeving it down to run the same internals the 95 ships with. Yes, they shoot beautifully, but so does a worked up 95 without the weight penalty.

If you can shoot one of Wonky Donky's tuned 95's you will be sold. Makes Venom rifles look like a box of crayons by comparison. Seriously. ..

11. gargloit

gargloit Posting Addict

Another vote for HW80. It's just an absolute classic. If the lazy cycle at < 12 ft/lb bothers you it's easily short stroked, but a full tune job will make it magic and you will own one of the all time classic air rifles. Furthermore, if the law ever get's it straight about air rifle power or you get an FAC you'll experience the delight of a fully tuned full power HW80 which will shoot like a dream.

12. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Drop the FWB127 sport, any of the other three would be good but if it was me I'd do the "Longbow" but only if it's a genuine Brummy model !...:up:

13. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

A slightly short stroked HW95/98 you have to define what you wish to use the gun for or if the original stock will be used.
    The FWB are ok but ive found the triggers can be a bit toffee.

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Hi,
    I don't tend to say what I want to use a rifle for, reason being, if it shoots and looks nice I'll own it. And worry about how to shoot it later, I'd say most (about 75%) of my shooting is from a standing position. I should add I've had 2 hw98's and one was tuned by sfs and one wasn't, I preferred the standard! But I found it too front heavy for my liking.

Swings and round abouts, I want a original deeply blued longbow, but I just can't find one! And I have my feelers out everywhere.... And my 21st is getting ever closer.

Biggest mistake was selling my old longbow :(

15. JD

JD Donator

Forget the Longbow, your be extremely hard pushed to find one as nice as the one you sold,

time to move on up to a,

Vmach Tomahawk/Cobra

Vmach Hw80 25mm piston

Vmach Mk1 Hw85

Top with a Meopta 4x32

if looked after and serviced, you could hand anyone of these rifles and scope down to your

great great grand children. ; )

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

[​IMG]This is my kind of stock profile, I love the rake on the pistol grip, it would make it real nice to handle and shoot, but this looks a hw95 action.

Personally I would go Webley longbow everytime, simply because they are/were British (brummy versions anyway) and hw95s are ten to the penny everyones got one.

So exclusivity has gone straight away.

I mean what Venon/V mach did with these Webleys is simply and art form, nothing short of breath taking
    [​IMG] The original Cobra is my favourite of all, have the adverts in the old mags somewhere and their own muzzle break was sooo nice it just blended with the flawless bluing on the barrel, I would wear a glove on my left hand to cock one if I ever got the chance, hardly ever see these up for sale!

17. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

You said it was for life,so it has to be built around an Hw80 action at least thats what immediately sprung into my head.

18. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

I would go for a Tomahawk or Long bow in Walnut, I would wait for the right one though as the quality/grain of walnut can vary from plain to stunning. The blueing on these guns is amazing and almost the equal of venom custom blueing. V Glide it, convert to .20, shroud it, fit a slim tech, or custom trigger are all things that Steve Pope or one of his guys can do for you.

A tuned Longbow/tomahawk is just as gun if not better than a tuned HW95.

HW80s are good, if your prepared to wait and pay the money a full venom custom is a special gun and befitting of such a milestone birthday. The walnut stock makes it lighter that the factory 80 and its a full custom it will be perfectly balanced so for me the weight issue is not massive.

ProElite is on gun Ive never owned.

HW95s are nice guns, shot great when tuned, but for something special as you describe I would only consider a full custom v mach or venom which again are like hens teeth.

Ive owned a full venom custom FWB, and was beautiful to look at but did not shoot as well as the Longbow/Tommy

19. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Yes I think I'm swaying to the webleys as I like the idea of fully British in every way, the stock I'm not worried about as I think I may have a Gary cane one made or maybe whoever does venom ones.

The Fwb is out the window and so is the pro elite.

I'm now down to longbow, tomo and hw80 (just because its less common than hw95 and I like the bigger cylinder purely for style)

Typical that 4 brummie longbows have just been sold on b b s according to a collector I've been talking to.

How long will it take is the question.....
    Cheers for advice so far guys

20. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Can't believe you've discounted the B2 so early :D

I'm no springer shooter so I cant offer much guidance but I will say not to rush things,wait until the right combination comes along,don't end up with a sub standard setup because you're eager :)