1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Please On 2 Shots.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ukzero1, Jun 27, 2020.

1. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

I have just done a monthly chrono check on my RM8. I put 10 sots through (combro Mk4) and the results were as expected at 11.4 to 11.6, that is except for 2 shots that went above 12 (12.4 and 12.5) :eek:. The pellets used are Hades (.22 15.89 grain). Can anyone explain why this should happen? It was shots number 3 and number 7 that went over, the rest, as said, were bang on what I was expecting. Any ideas because I'm stumped. :shrug:

Redcap 114 likes this.
  2. allanthomas66

allanthomas66 Heart Breaker & Life Taker...

Dodgy regulator possibly? That's a long way out of the normal string.

3. uncle bulgaria

uncle bulgaria Member

Did you weigh individual pellets or just use claimed weights?

4. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

Straight from a brand new tin, I don't have the gear to weigh pellets.

5. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

That was my first thought, but the other shots were bang on as expected. Now, if it was 2 shots one after the other, fair enough, dodgy regulator perhaps, but those 2 odd shots is making me think pellet problem maybe? I don't have the knowledge to pin it down.

1260engineer and allanthomas66 like this.
  6. uncle bulgaria

uncle bulgaria Member

Pellet weights DO vary in each tin so could produce higher fps (and subsequently a false high power reading?). However, such a high variance, as suggested above, could possibly point towards reg issues?

ukzero1 likes this.
  7. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

I do have a tin of AA DF's, I could try those and see what happens. Last month I chrono'd the RM8 using those and the readings were spot on with an average of 11.5. with the highest being 11.7. It just seems odd that using a different pellet gave the same readings except for those 2 oddballs.

The Crombo Mk4 is calibrated and has new batteries. It's the only chrono I have so can't check it against another.

8. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

O.K. Just done another chrono using the AA DF's. 10 shots and not one over 11.7. :shrug:

9. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

watch the time between shots . give the reg a chance to settle . :) i ram shots through to see how quick the reg refreshes . then i run it again with about 10 seconds between shots :up:

cloverleaf and ukzero1 like this.
  10. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

So I could have shot too quickly? I would never have thought of that. I did take my time with the AA DF's as I was sighting a scope in at the same time. Thanks. :thumb:

11. 1260engineer

1260engineer Busy Member

I had this the other day
    20200625_205714_copy_784x1613.jpg
    can you see it look at the top numbers the look at the bottom then the middle . dident give it time . then today it was perfect while shooting . never rush regulators . times ive watched people run a string and just dive in . relax take your time watch the numbers . and try different pellets . when i was setting my valve i had lites making more power than heavys . :) keep a eye on things if it goes stupid there are plenty of good lads on here to help :thumb:

BARNEY20 and ukzero1 like this.
  12. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

Thanks for that. I had visions of it going to RFD and them keeping the gun. :thumb:

13. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Any pellet going over 12fpe can get you in trouble, so at 12.5 I'd be investigating this further to make sure your ok. I would definitely get some weighed to make sure they are all the same weight, have someone send you a couple of dozen Hades weighed if need be, stick up a wanted ad and I'm sure someone will oblige for a couple of quid donation to the forum. It could be the reg as mentioned, but checking pellet weight is cheap, checking regs is not, but if your getting erratic figures your guns not going to be running at it's best anyway, so a service would not be a bad idea.

Redcap 114 and ukzero1 like this.
  14. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

I fully understand what you are saying and it does make sense. What doesn't make sense is that a second chrono test using AA FD's produced bang on results with the highest shot being 11.7. As @1260engineer explained, it could be that I was shooting the third and seventh shot too quickly when testing with the Hades and not giving time for the reg to settle. I'll phone my local RFD in the morning and see if he can fit it in for a service and hope the news is good.
    Thank you. :thumb:

15. hughwp

hughwp Busy Member

Spurious functioning of the Crombo ????

16. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

A 2 shot shift of 1fpe over a 10 shot string is unusually high and more likely to be a regulator issue than pellet weight irregularity IMO.

Redcap 114, Gat Man and ukzero1 like this.
  17. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

I'm not sure to be honest. I had changed the batteries and re calibrated the Combro before testing. Testing with the AA DF's produced a perfect string of 11.5 to 11.7 across 10 shots. So it doesn't make sense when I tried with the Hades and get 2 oddball shots.

18. nevadacowboy

nevadacowboy Posting Addict

How to test your reg.

Fire 2 shots quickly.
    Fire 2 shots at 1 minute intervals.
    Fire 2 shots 2 minute intervals.
    Fire 2 shots quickly

Noting all the chrono results.

All of the shots should be very close to the same velocity over the different time intervals.

If the first shot is faster than the other one in the first two shots this can indicate reg creep.
    If the shots get faster over the one and two minute intervals this can also indicate reg creep.

phil.m, 2506sendero and ukzero1 like this.
  19. ukzero1

ukzero1 Busy Member

Will do that, thanks for the advice. :thumb:

20. Virak

Virak Busy Member

A set of jewelry scales is less than £10 inc postage accuracy +/- 0.002grain - important you use on a very solid worktop, no sunlight, and no notable moving air ALWAYS close the lid over pellet.

ukzero1 likes this.