1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on HW 100

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by caravandwellar, Apr 29, 2012.

1. caravandwellar

caravandwellar Busy Member

I've got a HW100t and love it.
    Two things though, I have three magazines and they seem to be very dry.
    Is there anything I could use to oil them, or is it wise to oil or lubricate them???
    Also I am considering changing calibre, but getting the HW100 in .177 are there many advantages?

2. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

got both 177 and 22 the only differences the 177 is far more accurate than the 22 flatter trajectory etc. and use silicon spray as a lube bo issues then get it from maplins

3. caravandwellar

Sound,thank you

4. Egg

Egg Major Poster

I use Molykote 111 compound on the o-rings on the outside of the mags. A tiny amount on your fingertip then pull the o-ring through for a few turns so it's coated by a thin film of the 111. A 100g tube of this stuff should last you for years. The magazine itself I clean in hot soapy water, rinse in hot water, blow dry on a bit of kitchen towel then give it a quick rub down with a VP90 impregnated cloth.

5. Steve K

Steve K Post Whore

.177 is no more accurate than a .22, .177 flatter trajectory yes, more accurate no.

As for silicone, keep that well away from the gun, especially moving metal parts. Silicone will eat into the surface of the metal and has the potential to ruin the gun.

Just keep the mags clean and dry, they're not supposed to be wet, you can as said put a little molykote grease on the mag O rings ;)

6. caravandwellar

Cheers fella's.amy idea where i can get some molykote grease?

7. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

I have the hw100 and use Vaseline on the end of a cue tip!(ay ay sailor):D
    If the rubber ring gets dry it can deform the pellet as it is pushed into the breech bit of vas (not loads) and Roberts your mothers brother!

8. bulldog66

bulldog66 Member

plumbers shop their use it on gas taps

9. caravandwellar

Also as i shoot left handed i went for thumbhole,but is there such a thing as asporter stock for us lefties?

10. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

no my 177 blows my 22 out the water with less fliers too. Not impressed for a 800 quid gun It will one hole groups at 30 yards but there best part of an inch across whereas my 177 is about 10mm so definitely more accurate. and its been to hull twice and they say inch and a half groups are satisfactory. and thats with AA fiekds which seem to be the best everything else just goes downhill from there. Moly not good on rubber sorry will deteriate internal seals if it gets in the gun.

11. Steve K

Steve K Post Whore

That doesn't sound right to me, my .22 is every bit as accurate as my .177, i can get clover leaf groups at 45 yards, maybe yours is pellet fussy?

I wouldn't be happy with that, i think you need to find a suitable pellet, or there's an issue with the gun or scope. Barrel could be loose even?

Molykote is fine on O rings, it's the silicone that needs to be swerved ;)

12. zigzag

zigzag Well-Known Member

WD40 is good

13. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

WD40 is a water repellant not for lubrication....................

14. Egg

Egg Major Poster

The o-rings on a 100 (and most other PCP's) aren't made from rubber and most tuners/fettlers use Molykote on the o-rings inside the action plus any on the outside like magazine ones. The trick is to be spare with the stuff - a little goes a very, very long way.

15. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

Moly is recommended by Best fittings. Bit confused as pure silicon grease is also recommended by Airgun manufacturers. So which one

Moly cote
    Silicon grease

See link
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/03/airgun-lubes-good-bad-and-ugly.html

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  16. twiggy

twiggy Member

There should be no difference in accuracy .177 or .22. The .177 has a flatter trajectory Which some would say makes it more user friendly.

Twigs

17. Steve K

Steve K Post Whore

Mate, i really wouldn't put anything silicone near the metal of a gun, especially moving metal parts. There is lots of info all over the net regarding this, including a guy that ruined a brand new rifle by applying silicone oil to it.

Have a read of this, it's a post from a thread on another forum, it's a real eye opener:

SILICONE OIL DAMAGE PART 2

Just wanted to say a very big thank you to Ben Taylor

As you may recall I purchased a brand new air rifle from Ben Taylor & Son about four weeks ago, after having it for a week I applied a modest amount of Silicone Gun Oil to the metal surfaces of the rifle, I also put a few drops on the magazines and wiped it in with a rag. The next time I used the rifle after approximately 20 shots I noticed the action was stiff (I now believe the pellet probe had picked up some silicone oil from the magazine). I then applied a couple of drops to the cocking mechanism and a couple to the pellet probe which I believed to be stiff. I then fired 8 shots and noticed the action was now very stiff after only six more shots the whole action was seized solid.

I returned the rifle to Ben Taylor who recognised the damage was caused by the silicone oil, I found this very hard to believe however he assured me this was the case and the only thing we could do was to order new parts from the air rifle manufacturer in Sweden.

These parts were supplied this week and the rifle was thoroughly cleaned by Ben and reassembled. However, this oil seems to be almost impossible to remove once applied and despite a day of Ben’s best efforts the rifle is once again seized. Ben organised a demonstration this afternoon at his workshop which involved revolving a steel bar in his lathe and then winding another piece of steel against its side. With no lubrication at all the two pieces of steel slide together but once a few drops of silicone oil was applied the steel immediately started to be worn away in a very disturbing manner. Clear evidence if any were needed at the instant destructive ability of this oil on sliding metal surfaces.

On the reverse of the bottle there are two parts of the description I would like to bring your attention to.

“A light overall application gives lasting protection to all metal and wood surfaces of all guns.” This would seem a little inaccurate as it does NOT give lasting protection to all metal surfaces.

Secondly “Do not use alone as a lube between metal surfaces” this would indicate it can be used in conjunction with other lubricants, however in the case of my rifle and in our test this is also inaccurate. The silicone oil got under the grease on the rifle and the application of normal mineral oil to the steel in our experiment did not improve the situation.

I have now been left with no choice but to purchase another rifle from Ben Taylor which has left me many hundreds of pounds out of pocket not to mention the amount of Ben’s precious time in trying to repair the original rifle which has also cost him dearly.

Despite this Ben sold me the replacement rifle at a reduced rate which is something he didn’t have to do considering the grief and aggravation I have caused him, and so I post this for only two reasons.

So others may avoid such an expensive mistake.

And to thank Ben for his time, effort and kindness and for being an absolute top bloke throughout . If your looking for absolute first class service not to mention top notch kit give him a go you won’t be disappointed.

ATB Craig.

I've seen other similar info saying the same, and recently asked an engineer, he confirmed the damage it can do.

It's not worth the risk when there are other products that can be used safely ;)

18. Brownj6709

Brownj6709 Engaging Member

so i should stop wiping down my hw 100 with silicone gun oil after use lol? just been spraying a small amount on a microfiber cloth wand wipein down?

19. Steve K

Steve K Post Whore

I would say avoid it like the plague mate, get some Browning Legia spray or Ballistol, both of these are also ok on the woodwork too ;)

20. Egg

Egg Major Poster

It's all I use on the metalwork and for a quick wipe-down of the woodwork. Fantastic stuff :up: