1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice On Bow

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Joel47, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Joel47

Joel47 Engaging Member

Looking to get a bow and am undecided wether to go for a recurve or compound and also what’s good and what’s bad

2. Paul G W

Paul G W Posting Addict

Wait, join a club. Try as many types, lengths, draw weights as possible.
    Just dont buy anything on the internet as there are do many variables, that you need to get exactly correct.

Arrizabalaga, Leshiy, CaptDAR and 2 others like this.
  3. Readie

Readie Grumpy Old Fart

I was looking to do a taster section at my local cub this spring but....

£10 for an hours instruction so I’ll give it a go when I can.

The club is only a five minute walk too

Drake267 likes this.
  4. Paul G W

Paul G W Posting Addict

Real good exercise. Took my two daughters when they were little.
    Be prepared to spend ages looking for lost arrows in the grass.
    We just stopped going, when we moved. The real good guys, just make it look easy, longbow archers aim at the clouds to get their range.
    :shrug:

Drake267 likes this.
  5. CaptDAR

CaptDAR Always count your shots and your adversary’s

As Paul G W has written. Very important to go to a club first, speak to the coach and try different bows and styles. You can make very expensive mistakes otherwise.

Drake267 and Paul G W like this.
  6. GamoGat

GamoGat Busy Member

Look here for clubs

Clubs do training and if a large club expect lots of second hand equipment to try out as many start the game of minimal gains chasing with very spendy equipment

www.archerygb.org this is for formal Olympic type shooting. Club structures vary, can be a bit golf clubish, induction course is a given over several weeks where you get trained up and depending on the leanings of the Club you will start with 15-25lb draw weight recurve bows and if club have them some light draw compound bows.
    Used to be called the GNAS Grand National Archery Society and did have victorian attitudes :) they have mellowed out loads, just don't mention Crossbow.....

www.nfas.net is much cheaper and informal and takes place in woodland with a mixture of 3d foam targets and printed animal faces, depending on club size you can expect to stumble on life size 2d African Bull Elephants. Based on unmarked distances and hunting over formal target work. Pretty much any thing goes bow wise, they do have a 300fps arrow speed limit which for Compounds and Crossbows is easy to hit.
    You can spend the day at competition roaming the woods with a Compound Unlimted at max FPS, medievil warbow/longbow with 100+lb draw weight, and children with 20lb'ers and carbon arrows and the spawn of satan a crossbow or Arbalist.
    Expect to drink tea, eat cake, bacon rolls and even have a veggie choice nowdays.

There are others EFAA which sits between AGB and NFAS being field archery but with roundal target faces and BLBS which is longbows only.

I have done both, should be renewing my NFAS right now at £20 as i am clubless i don't have anywhere to practice but don't have club fees either. I like the spawn of satan class :)

Drake267 and CaptDAR like this.
  7. simonplatt

simonplatt Donator

definately go to a club for a taster session, from there take a beginners course, where bows and equipment are provided, and you will have opportunity to try allsorts.
    using club equipment, you should not rush into buying a bow (most of us do) but it will give you option to try other bows, and styles. if/when you start buying your own equipment opt for light draw weight, (most go too heavy) as it is better to stay on a light draw weight even for a long time (and you will learn more and faster) than going to heavy, (which will stop you getting the best out of yourself and equipment, and may put you off altogether,)
    and buy used if you can from someone you trust, like a club member, you will probably sell on when you upgrade.
    my bows, olympic recurve barebow, huning bow, field bow, longbow, are 35 - 40lbs, but I also have a 24lbs which I just love and use more than the others.
    its a great sport, but take your time learning and you will progress faster and get more out of it.

8. PolzeyLad

PolzeyLad Busy Member

Yep do use a club; my son and I have been shooting compound for four years.
    We started in target archery but now do field.