1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on a Daystate MK4 is

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Richie092, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Richie092

Richie092 Member

Hi All

Firstly a hello as this is my first post. Sorry my first post turns out to be a question!

I have had a good read through the forum and didn't really answer my own questions so I'm hoping you guys can help.

I am going to look at a Daystate MK4 is .177 2nd hand that is approx 3 years old and has fired 1500 shots. This will be my first air rifle and is to be used for a bit of everything. I have a permission for hunting and would like to try target shooting.

My Q is what should i be looking for/checking? I don't know air rifles but know my way around a gun so any tips to this particular model would be very helpful.

Hope you can help

Richie

2. stryder5

stryder5 Donator

Check when last serviced, batteries fail at approx. 3 years, not a problem but they cost around £40 if you do it yourself. You need battery charger and isolation keys as well. Should come with magazine (s) and single shot tray. Take 16 hr to charge, about 3000 shots per charge, I do mine on the 1st of the month so I don't forget

3. Richie092

Richie092 Member

Thanks Stryder. How often do they need servicing and how much should a service cost?

Regards

Richie

4. stryder5

stryder5 Donator

Servicing depends on use and storage, keep a check on power output (you should check this before buying), if you don't have a chrono, point of impact drop over time would indicate service required.

IMHO a 3 year old Daystate is better than a new one as QC seems to have slipped recently.

Servicing by Daystate, believe it or not, is £240. Staffordshire Custom Rifles half that. DIY £12 for "O" rings and about £40 if you need a battery. Takes me an hour to service mine.

There should be someone close to you that can service it.

Pete2 likes this.
  5. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Other than what has been mentioned, don't get put off by the electrics - they add to the gun rather that take away, and other than a new battery once in a blue moon they are fairly bullet proof, very few problems with electrics on these over the years.

Just check the usual - condition, shooting straight and accurate, crono if you can, and I would not believe or worry about the shot count. These guns will fire tens of thousands of shots with no hassle, you don't wear them out in that fashion, the way they have been looked after is far more important. I would not worry about a service either, they are not like cars, owners get them done when they go wrong or if they can get it done on the cheap, a seal can go before or after a service, so don't worry about it.

You should be paying around £600/650 give or take for that age and in very good condition right now for a screened is version in standard trim.

James

PaulBB likes this.
  6. Richie092

Richie092 Member

Thanks, you have both been a great help. I go to pick it up Tuesday night so I will post some picks.

This forum was a great find!

7. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Why wait for Tuesday - you can never post too many pictures of guns on a gun forum!!

View attachment 102420

Good luck.

James

Tim_B likes this.
  8. Richie092

Richie092 Member

Now that's just showing off :D

9. Tickle71

Tickle71 Well-Known Member

I have just picked my MK4is .177 up and was just wondering what should I be seeing power wise on the chrono, I checked it and it worked out at 9.9ftlbs??
    It is currently on charge to see if that improves the reading.
    It also seems quite noisy compared to my old gun (BSA scorpion SE .22)

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

10. vapormatt

vapormatt Busy Member

I have not owned a Mk4is but if its electronic it might have 2 power settings, via a beep code while holding the trigger when switching on, you would need to download the instructions to see what each series of bleeps mean, you might be in low power mode at 9.9fpe so worth a check. if it needs re programing it would have to go to a decent RFD like Staffordshire Custom Rifles or back to daystate.

Tickle71 likes this.
  11. Tickle71

Yeah it has hi power and power 2, I believe it was in hi power mode. Fully pumped up so it might increase once the pressure drops a little bit and hits the sweet spot??
    I will check everything again once i have fully charged the battery in about 14hrs

12. MartinJGUK

MartinJGUK YouTube - NottsPestControl

It’s electronically regulated so won’t have a sweet spot but a low battery charge would possibly give you a low power output as it’s a solenoid that releases the air. Also check the pellet probe O ring for damage as this can cause power issues due to air blowing back instead of going down the barrel

jesim1, Tickle71 and vapormatt like this.
  13. Tickle71

Pellet probe o ring looks fine, seals were done a few months ago according to previous owner
    I will check it on the chrono once it is fully charged. I switched it off by accident so it has gone from 56% charged back to 0% seems to be charging at about 6% per hour

14. vapormatt

vapormatt Busy Member

That's a good shout on the pellet probe O ring, they can damage and create blow back, place a bit of tissue over the breach when firing and if it lifts up at all the breech seal on the probe needs replacing.

Tickle71 likes this.
  15. vapormatt

vapormatt Busy Member

It should charge when switched off

16. Tickle71

I accidentally switched the charger off not the gun

17. vapormatt

vapormatt Busy Member

it shouldn't drop from 56% to 0% over night, looks like you may need a new battery, easy to change and available from daystate. check which battery you have as there are 2 kinds before ordering.

18. Victor Robert Allaway

Victor Robert Allaway Busy Member

It is quite normal for a .177 to have a more pronounced crack to it than a .22. This probably explains why all the smaller guns at our local range have mods fitted whilst many of the lager bore do not - even though it's only outdoor target shooting.

Rob.

Tickle71 likes this.
  19. Tickle71

It was on charge for about 9hrs overnight and had reached 56%, I accidentally switched the charger off, realised what I had done straight away so switched it back on. It started charging again at 0%, I thought it would of gone straight back to 56% but looks like it has started from zero again. It is currently at 12% after 2hrs.

20. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

If you get stuck they can also be converted to run a PP9.
    With the right mod they can be made practically silent.