1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on .243 SP PPU AMMO

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by Knightley, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Knightley

Knightley Moderated user

So I have purchased a load of PPU .243 SP for foxing @ 90 grain, have I got a good round the for the job? Shooting between 50 and 200 yards I suppose??

Cheers :up:

2. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Two of my stalking buddies used to use PPU Ammo till it got expencive. But they had very good results in .270 and 30-06, good accurate rounds.
    90 gr SP little heavy for foxes at 50/100 yards as they may not expand due to the speed and construction of the bullet. Increasing the chances of a ricochet as the light body of a fox will not give enough resistance to open up the jackets.
    They will work either way.

Andrew

3. Knightley

Knightley Moderated user

hiya Andrew,

just had a look on your website actually!

ppu is fairly cheap rather than the others on offer at my gun shop, Norma, federal and hornady! So at the moment the lightest cheap rounds I can purchase are PPU at 90 or they have the 100 grain!

I may buy some federal but thing is when on my home made range for 100 yards and 200 yards I don't really want to use expensive ammo on my steel target so ill use ppu!

I take it if I zero in with PPU APthen use, say federal for live quarry it will still hold roughly same zero?

Cheers,

aaron

4. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Aaron
    You may find federal is not as good as PPU, but then they may. Lottery!
    I don't use factory ammo as I load all my own way cheaper and it's been 23 years since I bought some from a shop so no expert. But some rifles shoot anything others very fussy.
    im afraid there is only one way to find out....down the range.

As for my web page I need to update it thank you for reminding me as I'm down to my last few stags next week I'll have some time to do it.

Andrew

5. Knightley

Knightley Moderated user

Oh really I thought as PPU is cheap it may no be that great, but like you say I'll find out down the range, also when zeroing in does it have to be completely flat/level when Zeroing in? Or does it make it much difference zeroing in on incline or decline?

6. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

PPU have a very good reputation. But federal do all sorts of ammo from eagle to power shock. Now the eagle brand Tate the cheapest and I was given a batch to try in .223 and the only thing good about them was the brass. Then a buddy has used eagle in this 243 with simular results.
    The amount of ammo I use this time of year its cheaper to load and more consistent. Plus it's cheaper for clients to use at 65p for a 308 round compared to £1.29 it soon stacks up.
    I think since September I've bought over 2500 bullet heads in .243, 25-06, 308 and 6.5 and I get great satisfaction loading.

As for zeroing a slight incline will not make that much difference. I tend to zero at 150 yards on all rifles except my .223 and .22 K Hornet. But if you are zeroed at 100 yards on the flat, shooting down hill at 100 yards will be slightly high. Where I do my beginners days using a 308 shooting 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. But we shoot the deer from the top of the hills shooting down at a distants of 150/200 yards and you don't have to compensate because of the gradient.

Andrew

7. Knightley

Knightley Moderated user

Well glad to hear PPU seems to be a good round to use, iv also had a couple of others confirm they are as well!

I reckon I'll probably zero in at 100 on crosshairs and just adjust with mil dots on incline and decline shots! Also when you say shouldnt make too much difference, i take it if It were a fair decline or incline its going to affect it?! I'm hoping to level my home range off fairly flat out to 100 yards if I can! Just waiting for my sonic 45 to turn up before I zero her in! Don't want the crack echoing too much through the valley!

Another for you lol... When my sonic moderator goes on how much is it actually going to reduce the noise on the .243??

cheers

8. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

From a Huge Bang to a Big Bang:):)

In all seriousness it will still be a large bang so think about the times of day you zero and for how long etc.
    It won't be worse than a shotgun bang though.
    Cheers Andy

9. Knightley

Knightley Moderated user

lol brilliant! Well hopefully not too bloodi loud lol!! But like you say choosing right time of day! Early morning I reckon!

10. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

I use run both my .223 & .243 on PPU - can't grumble - it groups very well and is a third of the price of a decent box - if your rifle like em it's cheap shooting

firing with a mod on won't shatter your ear drums, without one will hurt your tab holes lol!!!! - it's still gonna wake the neighbours up though

So you know what it's like - i'd let one off without the mod on - that way you'll remember never to leave it behind unless you have a set of ear plugs :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. Knightley

Knightley Moderated user

Cheers for info mate! Will it really make that much of a noise then even with moderator on, I'm hoping not to wake the neighbours lol

12. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I've two T8 moderators one on a 6.5 and the other on a 308.
    Sako TRG you can shoot without ear defenders and it certainly not unreasonable, plus no more recoil than a .223.

Andrew

13. Knightley

Knightley Moderated user

Cheers, have you heard or experienced the sonic 45?