1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a novice-Air Arms S400.410 or Pro Sport?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by AJR48, Jun 30, 2012.

1. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

I thought that I had made the decision to save up for an Air Arms S400 or S410 to pursue HFT but after reading a few reviews I am now wondering if the Pro Sport would be better for me. I have had some reservations with regard to the additional expense and faff with PCP's which the Pro Sport would address and it does get some good reviews. I'm a novice and unlikely to compete in any serious way, in fact I've only been to an HFT range once with my Hammerli 550 springer, but that was enough to convince me that it was the discipline I wanted to follow and that my existing rig may not be sufficient. I will be going to the induction course at Worcester Rifle Club next Sunday so with any luck I will get a chance to try out a few guns but in the meantime what are the forums views RE S400 vs Pro Sport for someone like me for HFT and FT shooting.

Alan

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

As a novice you'll get better scores with the PCP - they're more forgiving and easier to shoot on account of their minimal disturbance during the shot cycle and faster lock time.
    For HFT / FT you'll need a single shot capacity; so go for the S400 or the S410 and Rowan single shot adaptor if you're feeling flush and think you'll use the multishot capacity in other applications (it is rather good :D)

The Prosport is a nice piece of kit, but as above will be harder to shoot than the S400. Also some don't get on with the ergonomics of the cocking system (myself included) so if you're sold on a springer try one and also consider the TX200 as most agree that this is the more functional of the two.

So in summary:

Benefits of the S400 series: Lighter, more forgiving of poor technique / easier to shoot accurately, less physical effort to operate, quieter, arguably better ergonomics, possible multishot facility should you require it.

Benefits of the Pro-Sport: Arguably a nicer tool to own, self-contained, less initial outlay and marginally lower running costs.

Hope this is of use to you ;)

3. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

It is. Thank you but still not sure which way to jump. I like the self sufficiency of the Pro-sport and I dislike the expense and faff of a PCP. The only way I will know for sure is by trying both so I just hope that at the club I'm going to they have both models. In the meantime the more opinions I can glean the better.

Alan

4. biggaz

biggaz Posting Addict

walnut tx200 cost me £375 :) thats my reccomendation.... prosport in sexy disguise

5. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

As a newcomer I would have to say that the two do not compare in the looks department but that may be just me.

6. cloverleaf

Arguably not; but then equally they don't compare in the ergonomics department either :p

Form or function, your decision...

7. Kai87

Kai87 Donator

i would personally go with the s400, iv just moved from springer to pcp and i cant see me going back in all honesty, but on that account iv never shot a tx200 or a prosport so cant really comment on them. but i find i am mch more consistent with my pcp

8. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

Problem is that with the PCPs when you factor in the running costs it's a significantly more expensive gun.

Alan

9. cloverleaf

Running costs aren't really much more; a fiver every few months for a bottle fill and £40 every 5yrs for a test. It's the initial purchase cost that's the killer..

10. Egg

Egg Major Poster

PCP's are easier to shoot for a novice; springers require a bit more practice but once you've mastered them you can pick up any air rifle type and get good results with it.

I've recently thrown all PCP related gubbins out (well, I've sold them) and moved back to springer. One of the springers I have is a Prosport in .177 - a lovely shooting and lovely looking rifle (not many springers out there can match it for looks) but me being me I've just arranged a swap for a Theoben Sirocco 2000 because I wanted a rammer back in the cabinet. The only reason I swapped the Prosport out of the 3 rifles I currently own is that there's no way on earth I'd part with my custom HW95k and the HW80 I acquired is so sweet to shoot and is a piece of p*** to work on. Plus I'm an HW fanboy :D

It's down to you at the end of the day: do you want to get pretty much instant results but have the added expense of charging equipment, power levels dipping when you least want them plus the all too often PITA of leaks or do you want to put the work in and learn how to shoot a rifle that needs a wee bit of time & effort but is there right when you want/need it and will be generally trouble and maintenance free?

I plumped for the latter.

11. scoop

scoop Busy Member

Cant praise my tx200hc enough the trigger is a dream

12. milek

milek Honorary Member

Alan, there is no induction course at WAR afaik, it's turn up, sign in and shoot. Next Sunday is the UKSARC so it's competition time as is the following week. You can turn up on the 8th and shoot no problem and the competition is fun, week after you will need to have put your name down as numbers are limited. (see website events).

I have only ever seen one Prosport there but you are welcome to have a pop of my AA400. It's as accurate as my Hammerli AR20 or R-10 ever was so naturally I am biased towards the pcp.

13. Luke W

Luke W Well-Known Member

Strange, the triggers the one thing I really dislike about my TX.

As everyones said, PCP will be easier to begin with, but it depends what you want. I got into shooting about a year ago, and was debating between springer and PCP, and went for a springer in the end and got a 97k. I'm still going to get a PCP sometime in the near future, but am glad I did it this way round as having the springer has helped as far as shooting technique goes, and I think it'll be easier to switch over to a PCP, than doing it the other way round.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  14. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

Milek, I have had another look. It's the Worcester Norton club I'm going to. Being near to the M5 it's convenient for me as I live near Cheltenham.

Alan

15. milek

milek Honorary Member

Ah, that makes sense. Probationer then? I did mine there when I had a .243 and several handguns. Good club that, enjoy.

16. paulk

paulk Engaging Member

Go for a springer and learn how to shoot properly, then you can move on to a pcp

17. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

Paulk. I'm sure that's good advice. I already have a second hand Hammerli 550 but at this stage I don't know if it's me or the gun. It's also proving difficult to find somewhere to practice so I'm hoping the club in Worcester will help but even that looks like being a slow process. Unfortunately I'm very impatient when it comes to things like this and I want to give myself the best chance of not only enjoying it but also getting some good results.

18. Egg

Egg Major Poster

If fast results you wish to see

Then buy yourself a PCP.

If learn to shoot you want to do

A springer is the gun for you.

19. AJR48

AJR48 Well-Known Member

Next dum question then. In comps is there a category for springers and one for PCP or do they compete directly?

20. Egg

Egg Major Poster

IIRC they're in separate categories but the overall winner's decided by score alone regardless of type.