1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Adventure Bike Opinions...

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Bigjimknickers, Aug 12, 2018 at 5:07 PM.

1. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Busy Member

I’m looking for a few opinions, I’ve had a lot of bikes over the years but not had one since my street triple in 2013.

Looking at getting a bike on a budget, 2000-2500 max

Here are my choices so far:

Triumph tiger 955i
    BMW F650 gs
    Kawasaki versys

Am I missing any? Opinions welcome!
    It’ll be used possibly commuting & general scratching.

2. pjgtech

pjgtech Donator

I'd go Tiger all day long, but not sure what sort of Tiger you will get for £2.5k?

What about old school, eg: Yam 600 trailie big single thumper?

3. Bsa177

Bsa177 Donator

Have you considered a 2005 hornet? Very comfy bike, did plenty of 6hr plus rides on mine. Sold it for a new fireblade and regretted everything.

Other bike I can recommend in that price range would be a cb1000f rode one for a bit and was the comfiest thing ever.

I would avoid the versys, particularly if you carry pillions. The base er-6 was a better bike all round.

Bigjimknickers likes this.
  4. Bigjimknickers

5. Bigjimknickers

Ginnel Gunner likes this.
  6. pjgtech

pjgtech Donator

Hmm, the 2005 looks nice... :thumb:

7. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

If you don't plan to go off road then an "adventure bike" is not necessary for touring. If you do then do you have experience of off roading? A big heavy bike like the tiger is not necessarily a good thing off road, especially if you plan to travel alone. Make sure if you drop it you can pick it up!

I toured France years ago two up on a Suzuki G500e with my ex wife. We covered 2500 miles in 13 days and had a whale of a time. People told me you can't tour on a small bike but as long as you plan in advance you can tour on anything. A good bet might be a second hand Yamaha TDM 850 or 900. I ad the 900 and it was superb, even fully laden with hard luggage and travelling two up. It munches miles in comfort and gives up to 60mpg fully laden at sensible speeds. This pic is from a France tour with my daughter in 2009.

27.JPG

8. Bigjimknickers

I started motorcycles off road with a Yz80, then at 12 my dad bought me an RM250 I rode all over with that, tracks woods, trails wherever I could, I’ve had all bikes from gsxrs to naked bikes, mainly fast sports bikes so I’m used to big heavy bikes yes.

9. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

You'll already have a good idea of what will work for you then. I hope you find something nice soon.

10. Ginnel Gunner

Ginnel Gunner Engaging Member

Hi Big Jim - I've had a few Beemers in my time (and in fact still do in R1100s form), however the F650GS is a single thumper that would probably disappoint on the speed and acceleration front. It's not that big as I'm a short-(****) person and could ride it. My money would be on the Tiger. It's got a good solid reputation and is capable of doing a bit of off-roading. Big enough to tour and commute with ease. Don't know much about the Versys - bit like the V-Strom I believe. So another vote for the Tiger.

11. Troll man

Troll man Member

I have the BMW and it is quite a fun bike. I've done some light off road work and it's ok. It's not that quick but is a good commuter and is good on fuel. It's also pretty comfy. If off road isn't a priority then keep an eye out for the 1000 versys, it does seem to have a lot of fans

12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Donator

Lincoln County and Tombstone. Sleaford actually.
    Hi Big Jim

I have just done a load of research myself. I wanted a cheap adventure ish bike that was highly loved, reliable and good to ride. I eventually went for a Vstrom 650. Good on fuel, cruses at 85 all day long if needed, very comfortable and very good handling. I purchased it for a future tour of the Highlands that I am hoping to do in September. I did not want to use my VFR800, so I bought a vstrom for 1900 quid all ready to go. And I love it.

vstrom 1.jpg vstrom 2.jpg

13. Bigjimknickers

That’s a bargain bill, what reg is that?

14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Donator

Lincoln County and Tombstone. Sleaford actually.
    2006 plate. They are available if you look for them. :thumb:

This bike is growing on me. It's lovely to ride. I can't wait to do my Highlands trip. Camping and biking for a week.

Ginnel Gunner likes this.
  15. Bigjimknickers

It’s a stunner, especially for that price! I admit they are in my criteria, only I’ve not found one this way for a decent price, there are a few 100 plus miles away.

16. Bigjimknickers

17. Bigjimknickers

Wild Bill likes this.
  18. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

Good choice I'd love a triple, another couple worth looking at are the early Ducati Multistradas or BMW R850GS or R.

19. Bigjimknickers

Over all the bikes I’ve had the Daytona with the ToR exhaust sounded the best, it was simply sublime in full chat!!

20. Nobbi1977

Nobbi1977 Engaging Member

Start looking on eBay with the limit set as your top budget and see what jumps out at you.

I did the WW1 memorials in Belgium and France on a CB500f with my Dad who was on a CBF250.

Most modern bikes will do most things so pick something random.

Personally I would be looking at a nice SV650 for that sort of money