1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Adjusting the sights on a 45!

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by KenKeeping, Jun 30, 2011.

1. KenKeeping

KenKeeping Well-Known Member

Right, question is, whats the best way to get the adjustable rear sights accurate on my HW45.
    Ive sussed how to do a telescopic sights on a rifle, youtube helped on that one, lol.

But the open sights on a pistol seems different!
    With the Tele's I get it sorted with the cross hairs, but open sights use the V and front pin.
    I know to you it sounds a stupid question!

Is it all just trial an arror, or is there a certain way to do it!
    How do you hold a pistol steady each time so that it is in the same posission as the last shot, so as to get an accurate reading, and grouping.

As you can tell, Ime not at all used to pistols!
    :D Ime as green as green goes, lol.
    Ken

ps. should have put question on top, not advice, sorry.
    Its advice i need!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. The_pierced_1

The_pierced_1 Posting Addict

Hi Ken,

First thing is get good groupings with the sight as it is before you try to adjust it, keep your grip loose and relaxed when shooting as this will help with the recoil. Once you are getting consistent grouping then slowly adjust the rear sight until you are hitting where you are aiming.

I hadn't shot a spring pistol in over 20 years so I had to learn all over again and what I have said above worked for me. Someone else may have a better method.

Hope this helps,

Roy

3. KenKeeping

I apreciate that!
    As you are aware, its all new to me, and Ime enjoying it a whole lot.
    But I am always trying to do things right without damaging the gun or anyone else, lol.

Gonna spend as much time this week with my 45, as I can.
    Between running the Sal, that is.
    He don't like the guns unfortunately.
    But there again they are used at different times anyway.

4. The_pierced_1

What range are you shooting at? I started with the 45's at 6 yards or so until I got the hang of it again and now I'm getting consistent groupings at about 8 yards.

Roy

5. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

the hw45 is very hold sensitive and can be tricky b****r to master
    grip it to tight and you will never hit the target
    nice loose grip works best with the 45,aim at your target,line up the foresight with the rear and gently pull the trigger
    this pic will help with how to adjust the rear sight if the sight is out
    owners manual here
    http://www.pyramydair.com/site/manuals/hw45/

Attached Files:

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  6. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

ps ken
    is yours .22 or .177????

7. KenKeeping

Andy! Its a .177.
    Cant remember the last time I had a .177.
    Usualy ended up with .22 rifles, as I was told that the .177 was no good to hunt rabbits with.
    But this 45 is only gonna be used for targets, or when out and about, on pigeons.

Roy! Ive only started shooting it up to the shed which is a max of 30ft whatever that is in yards, lol.
    What would you recomend me starting at?

Will take the advice on holding it a lot softer, I do grip it a lot, thats what I thought was best, lol.
    But there again, what do I know, lol.

8. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

the .177 are dual power i.e. 2 cocking positions,low power and full power
    take a look at the link i posted above
    might be worth getting used to it in the low power before trying it at full power

This Pistol can be operated at two different velocity levels:
    Position 1: Low velocity
    Position 2: High velocity
    (in cal. .22" you can only cock to position 2)

Attached Files:

9. The_pierced_1

Ken, 30ft is 10 yards so try a slightly shorter distance to start with and as you groupings improve and your sights are right then increase the distance. About 10 paces (6 yards) is a good starting point in my opinion.

Roy

10. Paul Shone

Paul Shone Well-Known Member

That`s good two power levels in .177 this is getting better and better

Paul

11. owain glyndwr

owain glyndwr Posting Addict

the newer .22 hw45's are also dual power

12. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

13. KenKeeping

Paul will be after a 45 soon folks, lol.

Right Roy, will start at 6yds as sugested and go from there!

A 51yr old learning to shoot a gun, bloody hell, lol.
    Years ago I was able to cut a thread that was holding a fag packet, when I was about 13 that was as well, lol.
    Long time since I picked up a pisto, I can tell you, lol.

These red lasers have a lot going for them I recon, for us oldies with bad eyes, lol.

14. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

45 year old here mate with terrible eyesight
    haven't shot a spring pistol for over 20 years since my webley tempest days
    i started with the 45 at 6 yards until i mastered the grip of the 45
    now up to 10 yards and getting decent 5p size groups

don't put a laser on the 45 that would be sacrilege

15. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

Also the recoil of the 45 tends to b****r the lasers zero up unless you have a good quality one!

16. KenKeeping

Christ! Ime wondering how to set the sights right on the open set up already, can you imagine me trying to get the laser sorted, lol.
    On a serious note! Titch! You explained the holding well in that vid.
    But then again , you all explain things in a tidy way thats easy to understand, so I should be at least hitting the A4 sheet, if not the target by Sunday, lol.

17. The_pierced_1

My girlfriend tried her hand at pistol shooting for the first time with the Black Star last week and to start with she couldn't hit the piece of A4 at six yards after a little coaxing and assisting with her hold she was getting 1inch groups on the target. The hold and stance are all important and a relaxed attitude, own the pistol and don't let it own you :D

Roy

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  18. IH

IH Engaging Member

Ive got a few of them! .22 is my favourite - the recoil seems smoother. As advised above, resist the temptaton to start adjusting the sights straight away - shoot lots of pellets and concentrate on grouping first and this will give a good indication of how you need to adjust them.

I favour a medium firm grip and as previously mentioned hold and grip pressure are crucial.

Plenty of practice and the HW45 will pay you back with excellent accuracy, power and a great shooting experience.

:)

19. KenKeeping

You do realise that once Ive got to grips with this bloody pistol, I will probably end up wanting another one, dont you, lol.

20. IH

IH Engaging Member

Thats what happened to me!

And when youve got various examples with different grips and callibres then you can add an HW75 too!

Dont worry, your wife wont be able to tell them appart and if you keep them in different places and rotate them around she will be none the wiser. Mine thinks I only have one!