1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Accidently buying a registered firearm?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by keithy, May 25, 2014.

1. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Hi I have the opportunity to buy a Rapid 7, second hand, the question is if the gun some time in its life has been registered as a FAC gun and I dont know about it and it currently has a 11 ft lb out put can i get into trouble? If so how would I check to see if it has ever been registered as a FAC gun?:confused:

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

If someone has taken the time, effort and money to convert a rifle to FAC I can't in honesty see someone spending hundreds to convert it back to sub 12, I think it's very unlikely that you would buy a Rapid that had been de-evolved because they are popular FAC rifles and hold their price!

Chrono when you buy, if its sub 12, I'd be almost sure it's always been sub 12. ;)

3. talent

talent Posting Addict

I once bought a brand spanking new Diana 34 in .22 , chrono showed it running at 18ftlb . sent it to a well known tuner (that I will not name) to tame it explaining that I wanted it detuned and smoothed out .... it came back even worse ..... sent it back again to the tuner , came back 11.5 . very smooth and quiet . same happened to my dad when he bought a new hw90 running very hot . so it does happen

4. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

I bought a HW95 when they first came put that seemed to hit field targets very hard.
    When we stuck it on a chrono it worked out at about 14ft/lbs and that was straight out of the box.

5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

That's not a registered firearm though is it. It's a sub 12 gun that has gone over power.

I don't think anyone that had the rapid on ticket would sell it to a non fac holder that could land them in deep #### .
    If you have it on ticket you must tell the police you have sold it and give details within 7 days or get in serious trouble.

The only way I think it could have been a registered firearm was if it is a stolen gun.
    If it were stolen would someone bother turning it back down to sub 12.

It could have course been set to run at 12ftlbs+ by a previous owner that would make it an unregistered section 1 firearm.

If you have REASON to suspect the gun may be dodgy contact your local feo. Who may be able to check if its stolen for you.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  6. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

I have heard of of some one who has a rapid that ran at 30ft lb alegedly, that now has it running below 12ft lb by simply changing a spring. How would they stand in the law?

7. r10hunter

The gun is now perfectly legal as long as the gun was never put on his fac.
    You will want to run it over a chrono and check that it is consistent and accurate before buying just incase some of the mods are still in place.
    Unless the price is very good I would leave it alone.

Cheers Andy

8. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

This.

If it was ever registered as FAC there will be a paper trail with the guns serial no. right up to the gun cabinet it was stolen from. The Police will take the gun & return it to the rightful owner, or not depending how they feel about it, & you will be out any money you paid for it.
    If you had bought it you could try suing the seller for your cash back but it will be a civil action so even if you win it can be difficult to actually see any money. If there's a chain of owners they will each have to sue the previous one until you get to the guy who bought it off the scrote that stole it, who might well be suing someone with no money, in prison.

All the while there's the possibility the Police will take a further interest in people handling stolen goods etc, especially as it's a registered firearm - a bloody nightmare all round.

I'd get the serial no. to an FEO to check it before parting with any cash, but as you can see if it is stolen you could be opening a can of worms, especially if you are buying it off a mate...

Do you have any reason to suspect it may actually have been an FAC gun at one time, or is this just out of interest? - sort of a what if excercise?

9. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

accidently buying a fire arm

Purely a what if exercise, if the gun has gone thro many owners, who knows if it was registered or manfactured as a FAC without some detective work. My last thread mentioned a gun being reduced to legal levels by simply changing a spring was this gun originaly a FAC gun?:confused:

10. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Theoben did offer a service to take a gun off fac but the block (action ) was swaped so serial numbers was diffrent but was very pricey to do hth dave

Ps most second hand rapids what have been passed about at soe time have been 30 ftlb as long as not registerd and now sub 12 perfectly legal to own

11. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Thanks dave I think before I get a rapid I will check with theoben and the police before parting with any cash. Thanks for the info folks.

12. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

U wont be able o check with theoben mate it went bust coup,e of year go here in uk no one is going to sell u a on ticket gun so as long as its under 12 ftlb on a chrono is legal pal the down fall of rapids is lads lime to up the power on them with them having big tanks best bet is only to buy one with anti tamper still fitted they are still out there unless u no trust the seller if there saying its been 30 ftlb in the past chances are it will need a new valve and ports may of been enlarged alot if wrk to sort out if u havnt the meens to do so atb dave

13. airtech

airtech Busy Member

once a rifle is took to fac it does not matter if it is took to 12ft again you still need a fac to buy or own it

14. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Just a thought lads ?

If someone was looking to maximise profit on a gun, then wouldn't a sub -12fpe version be easier to sell and fetch a better price than a FAC version ?

Just a thought ?

15. r10hunter

True, but if the gun had been on fac it could not be turned down to 12ftlbs and sold to a non fac holder legally. Anyone selling a weapon they had owned on fac and not completing the correct paperwork would be on deep deep trouble. Just not worth it for a few quid.

Of courses the gun could have been an a 12ftlb version that was home tuned to above 12ftlbs in the past illegally and then turned back down to 12 for the sale.

We should really call a gun that has been home tuned to over 12ftlbs without the correct paperwork an unregistered section 1 firearm or an overpowered sub 12 gun etc.

Rather than an FAC gun or a registered firearm.

As if we don't its difficult to tell if people mean a gun that has been legally held on an Fac in the past,
    or a gun that has been home tuned to be above the limit without the correct paperwork.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  16. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

As andy says this is not a fac gun as its not on the firearms register and portraing firearms certifacate holders in a bad light theres no way any fac cert holder would sell a gun Tuned to sub 12 power there fore this has been a illegal air gun in its history but so have a lot if rapids stealths guns with big tanks by power crazed nut if the seller has said only spring was changed then he had not a lot of knowlledge of what was doing so prob easily putback to legal power and run sweet but if other mods were introduced then a few things need sorting to balance it back out to sub 12 powers atvb dave

17. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Big issue is that All Air Guns are Made for the World Market - with many different Power levels

And are made to be adjusted to the Countries different Power levels

Argument about UK Air Guns Being Capable of exceeding the sub 12FP Rule - unlicensed

I am not aware of a UK Central Gun Register - of a National Power Listing

Or even a National listing of Stolen Air Gun's - As it seems Most Police Areas operate of different Computer Systems

And yes it is possible to buy different Block / Parts so that past Seriel numbers do not match with original build

Joys of buying Second Hand Air Gun's

BOB/R

18. r10hunter

All firearms are listed on the NFLMS system, all police forces use it. It's a very powerful system able to track every gun you have ever owned.
    The PNC is coupled to the NFLMS data base but all the info can only be accessed by feo's and licensing managers.
    Cheers Andy

19. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

l should have been more specific in that, when l said "someone", l meant a scrote acting illegally and when l say fac, l'm just refering to the rating of the gun.

l take onboard the points you've mentioned and see that this could be confussing.

l was just trying to highlight a potential motive for a possibly suspect action to help raise awarness. There are plenty of knumbsculls about with too much time on there hands :(

20. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I suppose you could have an FAC one out there without it being stolen, if someone dies & their wife or kids just get shot of the air rifles, & give the 'proper' guns to the RFD or whatever - it would show up pretty quickly by the deficiencies on the FAC, but by then they could be long gone via the local car boot sale...