1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question acceptable power

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by AirArms456, Feb 2, 2014.

1. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

Just a quick question really

For sub 12 ftlb air rifles what is the minimum you would be happy with? My AA s200 is running at 10.8 ftlbs using accupell, is that alright?

Thankyou

Isaac

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Yup, that'll be fine for hunting and target shooting. Accuracy is more important than power all day long.

3. Kamo

Kamo Member

+1^

4. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

yeh that's what I thought really

thankyou

5. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

+2 for me

6. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Long time poster

Nope, not for me. The legal limit is 12 ftlb's. I set mine up at 11.4-11.7 ftlb's. I have removed the anti tamper from my rifles in order that I can adjust the power to my desire. Yes I know that the rifles might go over with a heavier pellet but I am yet to witness this with mine. I use .177's only. Rifles are sold to us as sub 12 ftlb and legal. They are not sold to us complete with a chrono. If the manufacturers sell you a rifle that is legal, then it is legal isn't it?
    I am waiting for the day that someone goes to court with a rifle fitted with AT that is over the limit in order that the Judge finds the supplying company guilty of supplying a section 1 firearm.

As for me, I am willing to take my chances. And that is my decision and my choice.

8. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

I suppose it is your choice,not one that I am willing to take though

Fair enough though

9. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

most people wouldnt be able to notice the difference between a gun shooting at 10.5ft/lbs and 11.5ft/lbs accept mabe a connoisseur... may notice all other things being equal the lower powered one shot better?

10. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

Agreed

11. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

and with a higher shot count!

12. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Depends on rifle, lower power can apparently lead to flatter trajectory at normal ranges. And it will always have enough power at standard ranges if above 10ftlb. I had a hogan ripley pcp which ran way smoother at 10.8 ish than high 11's

13. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Most PCP's are Factory Set around 10.FP with a standard pellet - Especially AT Sealed Guns

Being well aware that other pellets might increase power -

UK limit is sub 12.FP in any weather / tempratures - set high in the Cold will increase on hotter day's and after
    several Shots

Reason most will state shoot Five Shots through chono and take average

It is Shooters Choice if they obay law - But does the Sport No favour if a Growing number are convicted -

Especially as most cautioned over power offenses opt for Destruction than a Day in Court and Crimminal record

BOB/R

14. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

UK Power limits will never be increased - unlicensed versions

As Law allows owners with legal reasons to apply for a Fire Arms Version - if they have a legal reason and
    Land authorised for FAC Use

Aware that land authorised for Powder Burners is not always authorised for FAC Air Guns -

Again down to local Fire Arms Officers

BOB/R

15. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

Before the home chrono became available we never really questioned our rifles power. We shot them and they did what we wanted them to do or the most part and we were probably shooting a lot less than 12 f/lbs in most cases.

16. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

in the days before the home chrono:) your rifle was always the full 12 ft/lbs... your mates was always 11 ft/lbs. fact!

in all likelihood they were both 10 ft/lbs....

17. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I have a few grand invested in my hobby, I'm not prepared to take the risk of losing everything (and more) just because I want one or more of them to be as close to the edge as possible with the risk of them making FAC power with a certain pellet that I hadn't tried!

11fpe is fine by me, although my guns tend to run at 11.4fpe being set there by professional fire arms tuners.

10.8fpe is fine, I like the young lads attitude in that he doesn't appear to need the bragging rights! :up:

Got to say we seem to have some fine, level headed and mature junior members on AGF... It's nice to see in this day and age.

18. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    personally, i like mine 10.5 with the lightest pellet, and 11.5 with the heaviest pellet (pcp).
    based on that, yours is fine with the selected pellet.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  19. Fozz

Fozz Posting Addict

All my brococks were set at 11.3 at the factory using AA diablos the only one that's different was built up as a 22 @ 11.3 but then converted to 177 so shoots around 9.9. I can't tell the difference if I'm honest.

20. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Really never heard of that?
    They normally approve land by caliber, fac air being the lowest there is.
    Cheers Andy