1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice AA S400

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Natgun, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking into upgrading my cheap break barrel for a pcp and I'm pretty much decided upon an Air arms S400.

Now, the problem I have now is deciding which flavour!

AA S400 Beech stock .177 or .22 standard or carbine length
    AA S400 Superlite .177 or .22 standard or carbine length
    AA S400 Walnut stock .177 or .22 standard or carbine length

I'm relatively new to air rifles and my main use is target shooting realistic maximum 25 yards.

Can anyone offer any advice which stock, calibre and length is best and is the superlite actually lighter?

The other trouble I have is deciding between new and used. The adverts I have seen range between £300-£650 for used. Yet new range between £430-£490 (without a scope).

Isn't it better to have piece of mind that it won't develop an expensive fault and buy new rather than used?

2. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, i am not one for fancy stocks or whatever but i have an Air Arms rifle and there excelent made, my advice a standard S400 in .177, you might find a good s/h one here or local RFD, a new one only has 1 year warranty, but looked after will last years of good shooting. for starting a pcp air pump will do so you could buy s/h with pump for cost of new. good luck

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Without going into too much detail, my choice would be a Classic length rifle in .177 with a Walnut stock:

Classic length as it's more efficient, gives more shots per charge and is (subjectively) better balanced. You may prefer the Carbine if you're planning on using it in confined spaces, though.

.177 because if it's flatter trajectory - the .177 / .22 debate has been done to death - the search facility is your friend ;)

Walnut because it looks nicer and is far easier to repair than Beech or Poplar if it gets damaged. The Beech and Walnut stocks are RH or LH dedicated while the Superlite is ambidextrous (so a compromise). Also, the softer Poplar takes marks more easily and unless you really need a lightweght rifle, lighter isn't always better ;)

4. karsal

karsal Member

Excellent choice of rifle. You will not go far wrong with any of the ones specified.
    I have three of the s400's you have mentioned and to be honest they are all perfectly accurate and easy to use. Whether your choose walnut/ superlite or beech makes very little difference in my opinion if all you are doing is plinking at a range.
    .177 or .22 for hunting is your choice and both are capable of dispatching rabbits etc. shot count is obviously more on the full length rifle compared to a carbine. 95 shots from my full length .177 and 65 from my carbine .22 carbine gives me about 80 shots you will get over 100 with full length rifle. If you think that you may do HFT sometime then a .177 is what you require and a carbine will suffice.
    Scopes are another thing. Down at our range all I use are Nikko Sterling mount masters, 4x12x50 mil dot AO.
    can hit everything anyone else can hit using scopes costing 5 times more.

5. Randomgary

Randomgary Engaging Member

I've an early S400. It really is a sweet rifle. I've serviced it myself, parts are easy to find and it's a very easy rifle to work on.

Pretty damm acurate too.

6. Gray 83

Gray 83 Donator

I have a carbine s400 with walnut stock in 177 excellent rifle for the money compared with its rivals. Very accurate and very well made so it gets a vote from me you wont be disappointed with a s400.

7. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the quick replies, I really appreciate all your help.

By reading your thoughts, I'm going to definitely get the S400, probably beech and .177 as it's reasonably cheaper.

Sorry to bang on here, I see a mention of a pump which was the route I originally going for, but I think I would eventually get a tank anyway, so I would be better off investing straight away (I'm terrible for buying stuff on a budget then replacing it costing more in the long run!)

If I buy a tank, does the gun come with the necessary tank attachments, etc.. or is this another accessory I need to purchase. And does the tank need to be a certain pressure, or does the S400 take lower pressure?

8. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Couldn't agree more.

I dont think there's a 'best' option to go for. For what its worth I'd buy an older one, purely to avoid the AT issue. Dead easy to work on and service yourself. I was in same position as you a couple of years back. Kept an eye on the gun sale sites and waited to see what turned up. Didn't take long before I found a complete set up at a good price. Be prepared to travel for the right gun, otherwise you're very limited to what you'll find.

Heres mine (didn't look like this when I bought it mind.)

image.jpg

9. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

I was first thinking of buying a 2nd hand gun, but I wouldnt know what to look for and I'm concerned about buying something faulty.

Nice gun btw..

10. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

A pump will be fine. Admittedly mines a carbine rather than classic, but don't let anyone tell you that the effort of pumping it will kill you. It's dead easy. A tank is nice to have but not essential, a pump will never run out of air either.

You fill the S400 tank to 180, so a 232, or 300 tank will be fine. Obviously a 300 tank will fill it more times than a 232, and likewise a bigger tank will give you more fills. Don't forget you need to be able to lug it around with you though!

New will give you peace of mind and a warranty. SH will give you more for your money. I got a good price on mine, but as a guide, my SH walnut .177 carbine with bag, pump, Tasco scope, moderator and pellets was £350, factor in a 300 mile round trip on top of that too. See what new deals you can get from your local RFD or someone like The Airgun Centre in Essex, then look at what's available on gun s t a r or gun t r a d e r, you'll soon see what suits your budget best.

11. Randomgary

Randomgary Engaging Member

Honestly knowing what I now know id have no issues buying an S400 second hand, but that is easy for me to say.

If I was buying I'd want a rifle that felt consistent, shot a nice string of shots and grouped well.

Id always try before you buy aswell.

going from a springer to the 400, when you first shoot the pcp it's easy to believe it's hugely under powered due to the lack of "character". Expect this. Take a chrono if pos as this will ensure your new rifle is legal.

12. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    firstly, congrats on the choice of rifle - there is no better for the money. my only bits of advice are to pick up and shoulder all the variants to see which suit you-the classic and karbine length feels different in all 3 stocks. my personal choice is the karbine in superlite(have owned both lengths in superlite and beech r/h stocks). the superlite 'fits' me better and I found the classic length a little too long with a silencer. accuracy is same in both, just shotcount lower in karbine. for target shooting, I would advise on .177 cal as well.
    I also prefer the speed and convenience of a 7 litre bottle, which would cost just a bit more than a pump

13. Andy_J

Andy_J Replica Airgun Enthusiast

What Stevemandm says basically. I prefer the Classic though, but I never have any use for a silencer. You won't go wrong with the s400. Oh and yes, go for a walnut stocked version if you can stretch to it. Much nicer to look after and hold their value better too.

Andy

14. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, how loud is this rifle? I only ask as I like to be discrete in my garden and not upset the neighbourhood.

15. Andy_J

Andy_J Replica Airgun Enthusiast

They do have a bit of a loud crack unsilenced. But I don't shoot in my back garden either. I would fit a silencer on mine if I did though. I only shoot HFT and there is no need for a silencer.

16. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

s400 great in .177:up: , useless in .22 :eek:

17. stevemandm

if it doesnt come with a silencer mate, pm matthw975 on here - his silencers are legendary

18. stevemandm

my baby ...
    [​IMG]

19. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Stunning matey :up:

20. stevemandm

thanks mate, but the photo really doesnt do it justice