1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Aa Pro Sport Tuning

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Farmer Rick, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Farmer Rick

Farmer Rick Engaging Member

Hi all,

Ive been shooting the pro sport for the last week or so and have near 1000 pellets through it. Overall I'm really happy with it, and when I do everything "well" can return groups around 9mm spread @ 25 yrds - but I do find it a little "snappy" at times, so I'm thinking of doing a tune to help calm it down a bit.

What would you recommend?

p.s. it does have a little squeak when cocking now...

2. Farmer Rick

Here’s a quick shot from some pellet testing - top line is the best I could get with jsb 4.53

line below is jsb rs’s.

Attached Files:

Kj1 likes this.
  3. Plinky Dave

Plinky Dave Posting Addict

Rick,
    I’ve tried Exact, Express and RS I’m my PS, the shot cycle is different for each of them. I fettled the spring length and top hat weight to balance the out put with the lighter pellet being a wee bit more than with the heavier one to have a wee bit of piston bounce. So as a starter, chrono to find the FPS of each them then fine fettle the spring to get a bit more with the lighter pellet than heavy. Around 10.5lbsft shoots smooth and either Express or RS do well at 30 yds in mine, Exacts were less good.
    A clean, polish and lube of the spring/guides with good moly will also help before chrony and get rid of the squeak. Just my process for what it’s worth.
    Dave
    Edit: AADF at 8.4 gn not exacts.

Farmer Rick likes this.
  4. Farmer Rick

@Plinky Dave thanks for the info. I feel like that’s a whole new dimension of technical understand than I currently have!! As much advice and knowledge you could impart if greatly appreciated. Have you modified the internals? How would you “fettle” the spring?

5. Plinky Dave

Rick, if you run a search there is loads of top advice for the spring.
    For my prosport which is a few years old and third hand at least it had an aftermarket spring guide installed but it wasn’t a good fit so it twanged a bit. I fitted a TBT spring and matched guide which got rid of the twang but the FPS was too hot and the shot cycle wasn’t nice. Two ways to fettle the spring, cut a coil off then re square the end and polish it up so it spins easily on the guide, it takes a bit of trial And error so maybes only half a coil at a time. To square it heat the end coil to cherry red and collapse it square, I use an old steel spring guide as template, but careful just a wee tiny bit at a time, this can also reduce the spring length and therefore the preload reducing the power and smoothing the shot cycle. If you go too far a preload washer can be added to bring it back. Always collapse at the aft end of the coil and let it air cool never quench it. Polish the spring ends with 200-600 grade wet and dry. It is a time consuming process but you can tell the difference when you hit the sweet spot. Google both cutting and collapsing and watch the TBT videos too.
    Edit: you can also play the FPS by adjusting piston weight but the PS is already pretty well tuned from new. I tried a combination of the cut spring but with four different top hat sizes and weights. A standard 13mm steel a cut down 6mm steel a 7mm delrin and a 3mm delrin. The delrin was too light and lost power the standard was too heavy and had more surge (recoil) the 6mm - I cut back from a 13mm standard- was just right to get a bit of piston bounce.
    Dave

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Farmer Rick likes this.
  6. Farmer Rick

@Plinky Dave ive been researching for a while about it and have watched the videos from tbt. Who is it that makes the full drop in piston rather than the kits? So un-tuned the heavier pellets calm the cycle a little? I’m wondering if that’s why the tighter pellets seem to work better also... I trialed some accupell and there were really tight but shot well...

Plinky Dave likes this.
  7. Plinky Dave

Rick,just sent you some stuff by PM - Tony Leach does the full 22mm conversion piston.
    Dave

Farmer Rick likes this.
  8. Farmer Rick

Super thank you!

Plinky Dave likes this.
  9. shergar

shergar Big Poster

Contact @shauny for a Titan 10 spring with matching guides. In 177 this will shoot close to 12 fpe. without heavy steel top hat, making for a smoother shot cycle and leaving more room for spring.
    The TL 22 mm conversion is very good but needs experience to install and set up correctly.

Plinky Dave and shauny like this.
  10. shauny

shauny Top Poster

farmer rick, you have a pm.....:)

Attached Files:

D@N1982, greyskull, john79 and 2 others like this.
  11. Plinky Dave

I’d be interested to hear how the rifle shoots with the slick Shauny guide set and titan installed.

Farmer Rick likes this.
  12. Farmer Rick

Plinky Dave likes this.
  13. MartinC

MartinC Well-Known Member

I have a Tony Leach 22mm conversion and all I can say is a good rifle is now a superb pcp accurate pellet on pellet laser beam shooter, the best £190 I've spent on a rifle, still a little recoil but hits where it pointing. My Pro Sport is now one of my top guns, my buddy has a 21mm kit in a Tx200 and that is superb too, happy shooting.

Plinky Dave likes this.
  14. StellaArtois Sr

StellaArtois Sr Rifle Whore

To be honest tuning a ProSport for boing and power is quite simple, and doesn't cost a fortune.

Firstly as it is snappy get it chronoed and see what it's putting out. if it is well over 11 then consider
    reducing it to about 11. I have tried fitting short strokes kits and I personally didn't like them.

Probably the easiest thing to do with a ProSport and a TX200 is replace the metal guide and top hat with
    delrin ones. I have had a few of Shauny and they do the job from a boing to a nice dull thud.

If it is overpowered you will need to reduce the spring by removing a coil or compressing one depending how
    far over it is.

Another way to reduce noise in a springer is to fit a piston sleeve. However I have found with all the ProSports
    and TX200s there is no space to fit a sleeve in it. So good fitting guides will work for you.
    Another good thing with a ProSport is they are very easy to work on.

After fitting guides or doing most internal work make sure you get it chronoed after working on it.

Ade :thumb:

shergar and Plinky Dave like this.
  15. shergar

shergar Big Poster

Fitted @shauny guides and Titan 10 spring to TX 200 HC 177. At first a little hot, but scragging spring reduced length from 230 mm to 225 at which it was doing circa 11.5. Much smoother action than with the large steel top hat. Action can be speeded by short stroke with extended latch rod. I found the full 14 mm to feel awkward. Underlever stopped at 3 o clock, one click on ATB. With Mk3 action taking cocking lever to 5 o clock, 3 clicks, a 9 mm short stroke allows cocking lever travel to 4 o clock and 2 clicks on ATB. Accuracy of short stroke maintained without excessive preload, making cocking with short HC underlever easy.
    The TL 22 mm conversion works well at 10.5 and below, giving no more than a gentle nudge on firing. Trying for higher power tends to negate the principles on which it was designed.
    This is my experience, based on just 3 guns, the process is on going and the views of others will be greatly appreciated.