1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

AA anti tamper ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Hoodster, May 25, 2014.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I don't understand what their trying to achieve is it just so your tied down to the Air Arms service & repair network or to stop you altering the rifles power output ?
    From what I can tell you can still access the valve spring and venturi port without removing the anti tamper.
    So it's just a scam to extract extra cash or at least that's how it looks to me :rolleyes: rather than develop new exciting products to tempt the cash out of our pockets they look for ways to cheat us out of it. :mad:

2. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Is all the above a pointy ears thing?:confused::)

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I agree that it's an offensively shoite idea but will avoid repeating the same vitriolic rant I've typed out so many times before.. I'd advise against unscrewing the cylinder with the action block still fitted as you'll risk scratching the finish on the tube and it offers you little in the way of maintenance / tuning opportunities. I would however recommend pulling out all the AT rubbish, setting the rifle up yourself and never letting it near Air Arms again (or any of their "approved service centres" if they refuse to give the gun back without hammering more of this rubbish into it).

There's a big thread on the AAOC about AT if you want to learn more about the supposed justification for its implementation, as well as a good thread on the Weihrauch OC (but that will require a bit of searching as it's getting on a bit) ;)

4. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

When it comes to being able to alter power or such like you have to try and word things so your not giving out information on doing such a thing as per forum rules so its worded so those that already know such things know what I mean but at the same time I'm giving nothing away. :)

5. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Try using the search facility, there are 40 threads with something related to your question ;)

6. chivy

chivy Busy Member

i think that all you say is true of the AT, but also the insurance or litigation debate, whose responsible when things go wrong. and a part of me suspects that in fitting AT the manufacturer is looking for favour from authorities who want tighter restrictions on airguns. a sort of kiss arse before your forced to.

7. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, first thing i do when looking for info, oh mr tadpole which lad are you in photo, some where in the 1950s???

8. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Well I be somewhat confused..........This 'ere anti tamper device thingy is a device fitted by the manufacturer to prevent their guns being tampered with, ie. power fiddling and the like? Though some seem to be saying that you can bypass the gubbins and fiddle anyway??? Have I got the wrong end of the stick? Also, if I am breaching forum rules asking about such things, may the mods smite me sideways, and banish me to the lost kingdom of Avanteguard, well delete me post anyway!:D

9. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

Yeah that's the point I was getting at.

10. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Well if it is the case, it's just peculiar innit?

11. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Posts will only get deleted (and the ban hammer cometh) it you post specific details about how to turn power up or down, I believe discussing AT and the merits and pitfalls of it is not a taboo subject... although its been done to death on over 40 threads as Tadpole pointed out.

12. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I have browsed the thread on the AAOF but not all of it, it is a long thread and before I read that I was in the dark about how bad the anti tamper was having only owned pre-anti tamper rifles or rifles that don't come with such rubbish fitted.
    When I first found out about how intrusive the AT was I thought I wouldn't own a rifle with it fitted but know find myself the owner of a S510 that I picked up for a hand full of bird seed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
  13. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I don't know if it's just me being useless but every time I use the search function I either get an overwhelming amount of threads or no match results :confused:
    And surely if nothing got reposted or re discussed the forum's would be a much quieter/boring place :)

14. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

So what are you expecting, there will be the same answers give or take .............. :confused:

15. Seanalf

Seanalf Engaging Member

I have had 2 S400 series with anti-tamper. Both removed, gun is running better, easier to maintain and keep consistant. The last one was running slightly hot when I bought it as the previous owner didn't know what he was playing with. He sold it as it was "wildly inaccurate" and "not many shots per fill", but is now not only legal, but very accurate (now it has a proper diet) and around 60 shots per fill. I am also getting a very small fps change of single numbers due to being able to keep on top of the hammer.

Anti-tamper would be fine if it was 1) consistant power for each gun 2) still allowed basic servicing by the user if they want.

16. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

But I haven't heard or seen most of the answers that are hidden amongst the archives so most of it is new to me :)

17. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

The fitting of anti tamper by the main manufacturers (not just Air Arms) accomplishes very little - if anything.
    You, the owner or the person using the air rifle is responsible fir it being legal.
    However the law states that an air rifle is illegal if it can be proved that it is capable of exceeding 12 ftlbs. Unfortunately, just about every air rifle is capable of going over 12 ftlbs by replacing springs etc when taken away by the police and sent off for testing at the testing centres. The fact that the rifle is running below 12 ft lbs when it arrives for testing matters absolutely nowt.
    In order for the police to take your rifle away however, the police must be able to apply a justifiable cause.
    If you are sensible about how you use and where you use your air rifle and keep it legal, you should be safe.
    Anti tamper is a nightmare.

I had a chat with the MD of Air Arms and she made it clear that Anti Tamper came about as a result of a meeting with a government official and the members of AMTA. Unfortunatley no minutes of this meeting have come to light.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  18. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I would like to see how it held up in court if someone used the excuse that it had AT fitted and was exceeding the 12 limit.

19. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

The law is very straightforward. If you are caught in possession of an air rifle over 12 ftlbs it is illegal and there is no defence (it is an absolute offence). The holder is in big doo doo.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  20. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Good point Matty!

if it went to court, surely the manufacturer is at fault as they set the power to be safely under 12!