1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

A solution to co2 / temp problems......?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Beachcomber, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

Being new to the sport the budget is tight so I've been looking at co2 powered rifles (break / sidearm are a littel too hard for my boy to use)

The main concern seems to be how the ambient temprature affects the performance.

Now, this may be daft - but if you have a gun with an 88g cylinder wouldn't it be a good idea to stick a couple of disposable hand warmers (air activated type) around it?

Not only would it make it far more comfy to handle, but it would warm the cylinder (not warm enough to cause concern) and keep it warm for several hours thus avoiding the pressure loss associated with cold temps.

Yes, I know the price of co2 / hand warmers / gun will soon add up to the price of a second hand pcp so it's more of a thought exercise but what do you think?

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Some people do this but I can't see it helping a lot,the rate in which these drop in temps is quite something...firing my Beretta yesterday,wen't from room temp to covered in ice and unable to touch in just a couple of mags

3. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

What are you using the rifle for? Plinking or hunting?

plinking, then don't worry to much leave 30 secs between shots and make sure you check zero before each session.

hunting, check power before deciding to use the rifle for hunting, if close enough to full power then follow advice above...

4. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

When using a gun, with an external 88g Co2 cylinder, keeping the cylinder warm, is of no use, if the gun its self is cold, it is the gun that must be warm. Atb, Bob.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Well why not make your CO2 into a pcp? Get a convertor and a regulated buddy bottle (as used by the paintballers) and voila, CO2 to PCP!

6. spitnik

spitnik Member

I disagree with Honest Bob, I think warming the bottle will help, that will determine the pressure inside the cylinder (which can vary from lower than 800psi to over 1200), as for the rest of the gun, the gas will pass through the action so fast it will not have much chance to "pick up the cold" from it so that won't have so much affect.

I'd be concerned about over heating the cylinder, but stay below 60 deg C and you should be ok.
    regards Nick

7. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

You are turning liquid into a gas, it doesn't "pick up cold" it absorbs heat. The warmer the rifle internals are the higher the power, which is why co2 performs better in higher ambient temperatures. Delaying your 2nd shot allows the internals to recover some of the surrounding ambient temperature to improve the performance of the next shot.

Even in a warm room if you rapid fire a co2 BB pistol you can get it to frost up the action...

8. trumpetier

trumpetier Very Active

no offence to anyone but imo co2 is great in the summer for fun with a pistol or even plinking with a cheap co2 rifle but thats as far as it goes for me....as said just my opinion of course ;):)

9. Biker_Bob

Biker_Bob Active Member

Agreed, it's not really any good once you go beyond a simple plinking set-up.
    I've tried Rabbitstoppers, Ratcatchers, Airmagnum 850, Benjamin AS392, XS/QB78 - all of them are basically "fun guns" and the limitations of CO2 as a rifle power source soon become painfully obvious.

10. Paul Cann

Paul Cann Posting Addict

No , when you evacuate the gas from the canister the temperature drops off a little, so warming it would give you max pressure for the first few shots but every time you pull the trigger it will get colder and the pressure will drop a little ,C02 behaves in much the same way as nitrous oxide and the only solution we found to it was using nitrogen pumped into the tank to maintain pressure , I used to own a nitrous oxide company and run a 20ft hybrid rocket car which used nitrous as the oxidiser

11. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Simple answer..in summer there good fun ..come winter and not even worth taking out...been there got the t shirt, if it's just for gardeln plinking then yes, your lad would have some fun, but weigh in the cost of co2' and such low power in winter and I'd say buy him a springer and he will soon get used to cocking etc

12. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

Some interesting points here.
    I have to lean towards thinking that warming the bottle would help - obviously heat will be lost upon discharge but if you are starting off warm then it will be better than starting off cold.

As for over-heating, this shouldn't be a problem as the heat patches are made to be used either on the skin or in clothing.

Can you easilly convert co2 to pcp? I thought the higher pressures of pcp would require not only the bottle, but the seals / mechanism of the gun to be higher rated pressure wise as well?

Is it possible to convert an XS79 to pcp?

13. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

How old is your lad?

14. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

the xs79 is easy to convert to pcp/hpa as is the king ratcatcher

15. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

Take your pick.. All 79's of some description

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

17. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

18. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I agree with one point, be carfull waming the 88g Co2. I have worked on several of these guns over the years. leave the gun outside to get cold, put a new bottle on it, power not good, warm the gun up, power good. As it is inside the gun that the Co2 does its work.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  19. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Just done mine!

Uprated all the seals as a manner of course as I was refurbishing the gun!

You need to replace both of the pressure block screws with some high tensile screws/bolts - very easy and pennies, if you don't do this the threads on the cheap Chinese screws could strip with the pressure blowing your bottle off like a grenade launcher!

Fit a HPA bottle, I went for the 13 cubic inch Gorilla from RAP4 - http://www.rap4uk.com/Guerrilla-Air-MYTH-13ci-13-3000psi-Tank-p/ms805-1pi.htm

You don't need it but an On/Off valve will help enormously when you want to dismantle the gun quickly without wasting air - http://www.rap4uk.com/RAP4-In-Line-On-Off-Air-Adapter-p/9183.htm

Obviously you will need a dive tank as an air source and one of these connectors - http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=197&cat=Quick+Coupler+Sockets

But I went for the whole kit as it was cost effective - http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=199&cat=Quick+Coupler+Starter+Kits

That's all there is, a quick, simple, safe and inexpensive solution to the Co2/winter nightmare! :)

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
  20. Paul Cann

Paul Cann Posting Addict

Have you chrono'd any of these conversions? Surely upping the pressure will increase the ft/lbs?