1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

A Return From The Past....

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Halinfax, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer and general all round nice guy

Gentlemen.. Please allow me to wax lyrical of a very recent event that completely threw me (and my aging memory) back to another time, and pulled at the strings of my sentimental old heart!!!!

I have mentioned on this very forum, that last year I was donated a BSA Meteor rifle off a client of mine and how I though that it was serendipity that brought it to me.. after I had lent my own BSA Meteor to a mate of mine and I never received it back…. Leaving me sans Meteor….

For all intent and purpose.. that is my last recollection of my old Meteor.

UNTIL……..

Last week, for some un be-known reason, I had a “voice in my head”…. (nowt new there then…!!!).. that said “Why don’t you give Keven a ring and see how he is doing during this Covid crisis.”?

Just to fill in some details, Keven was a mate who I used to work in the office at the Company I used to work for when I was a Service Engineer. He started there as a young lad and over the 19 years that we worked for the same Company, we got on pretty well…

In fact, when I was made redundant 7½ years ago, he was the ONLY person that I stayed in touch with, often meeting up at a lunchtime to see how things were going.

So, one day last week I contacted him “out of the blue” to ask how things were. Following the usual pleasantries, I informed him that I was not working due to the Covid situation and that I was tinkering almost full time with the air guns…

For some strange reason I asked if he knew anybody who had some old air guns that they may wish to get rid of or need repairing. He advised that a builder mate of his might have summat and that he would let me know in due course.

Putting the discussion to the back of my mind 2 days later I received a text message to say that he had an old air rifle.. that I had sold him over 25 years ago……

“WHAT!!!!”… was my first thought.. me sell a rifle.. I never did …

Subsequently Gentlemen… I had sold him the BSA Meteor that I thought I had lent to a mate and never to see the back of…

To say I felt a t!t.. was an understatement as I have absolutely no recall of doing that… and I questioned him about it…… still in dis-belief..

It was not until he sent me a photo of the rifle.. did I realise.. that THIS was the rifle that I had from when I was 18 years old…. I INSTANTLY recognised the moderator that I had made over 30 years ago.

To say that I was gobsmacked would be an injustice….

So, Gentlemen….. after a void of having the Meteor in my possession for so long… Keven gave me back the rifle for “nostalgias sake”.. and the fact that it had seized up solid….

Here is the said rifle….. Keven dropped it off at the bottom of my drive today just after lunch and by 5.30 pm.. it had been un-seized, stripped, parts polished, stock glued and the moderator (all be it GROSSLY in-effective).

It has given me a nostalgic return to tinkering with the rifle I had in my late teens….

I shall hope to “do it justice” now that it has finally found its way back to this aging pillock and his dodgy memory….

Having made a start.. I hope to document its revival...

This is as I received it.. seized up too.....
    20200428_140948.jpg 20200428_140952.jpg 20200428_141000.jpg 20200428_141006.jpg 20200428_141009.jpg

The moderator I made a VERY long time ago.
    20200428_141012.jpg 20200428_141357.jpg 20200428_141409.jpg 20200428_144043.jpg

The piston I made is brass and held in place with an M6 socket cap screw..
    20200428_150128.jpg 20200428_150137.jpg 20200428_150420.jpg 20200428_150516.jpg 20200428_164416.jpg

The rifle STILL HAD.. the old pellets I put in the ventilation of the stock....
    20200428_172524.jpg

Start of the clean up operation...
    20200428_172540.jpg

Rm29, Slipknot88, The Iceman and 25 others like this.
  2. Meal Dot

Meal Dot Posting Addict

That's Karma for you. Enjoy!

Halinfax likes this.
  3. SlugFest

SlugFest Busy Member

Lazarus is go! Bring that little b*****r back to life, Hal! :thumb:

Halinfax and nic.fraippnt555 like this.
  4. nic.fraippnt555

nic.fraippnt555 Newbie

So happy for you, what a great end to an interesting take.

Halinfax likes this.
  5. Mort

Mort HW Fetishist!

Brilliant, keep us updated with your progress:)

Halinfax likes this.
  6. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Absolutely amazing Hal, can’t wait to see what she turns out like.

Halinfax likes this.
  7. pjbingham

pjbingham Prime Kentish Beef

Great thread :cool: and great the Meteor finally found it’s way home :up:

Halinfax likes this.
  8. steve9956

steve9956 Posting Addict

Lovely story Hal, will look forward to seeing it finished!

Halinfax likes this.
  9. DrGunn

DrGunn Busy Member

A very worthwhile restoration!

Halinfax likes this.
  10. trebike0

trebike0 Busy Member

This will be interesting .

Halinfax likes this.
  11. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting it up.

Halinfax likes this.
  12. Nubble

Nubble Donator

It's like a long lost son coming home.
    ;)

Halinfax likes this.
  13. Calibre

Calibre Busy Member

Such a nice read, thanks for sharing Halinfax, looking forward to reading it’s progress :thumb: I love happy endings.

Halinfax likes this.
  14. GingerMonkey93

GingerMonkey93 Engaging Member

Looks like a good project for lockdown. Glad you've finally been reunited with it.

My Dad lent a HW35 to someone years ago and they never gave it him back, bugs me because I know it was one if his first air rifles that my grandparents bought him.

Halinfax likes this.
  15. carnivore

carnivore Industrious Member

@Halinfax
    If you ever harboured any resentment towards the lad who never gave your rifle back I hope you have felt a twinge of guilt. :confused:

You didn't waste any time getting the patient onto the operating table, did you? Will it be stove-enamelled as per the original or painted this time?

Halinfax likes this.
  16. David M

David M Donator

I bet it'll bring back pleasant memories when you get to shoot it again....:up:

I'm sure it will handle, shoot and sound differently though after your restoration....:thumb:

I hope my old childhood catapult that wasn't returned doesn't come back, I hated the bl**dy thing..:D

Halinfax likes this.
  17. Alanw

Alanw Engaging Member

I enjoyed reading that,it’ll give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling doing up this blast from the past.

Halinfax likes this.
  18. Halinfax

Carnivore... I have to admit it .. but YES.. there was a tinge of guilt.. but it lasted all of 0.0867 seconds...

The Meteor has been opened.... and is gonna receive FULL life saving surgery... summat akin to the 6 million dollar man....

Polished internals.. better buffer, brass piston, delrin washers, PTFE sleeve, blued steel work, fully sanded back to original stock and re oiled.

Gentlemen.. we have the TECHNOLOGY to re-built it.... better... faster... stonger.....!!!

SlugFest and Calibre like this.
  19. Radlad

Radlad Posting Addict

It's knackered mate. I'll give you 25p for the rear sight;)

20. Halinfax

Hey mate.. I am kicking myself because I GAVE the ORIGINAL Mk 3 front sight away not that long ago to a forum member....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I suppose I shall just have to sort summat else out....!!!!

But thanks for the offer...

POST EDIT... actually I have some of the bits of the old rear sight....might be going spare....

Lyddite likes this.