1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

a new day a new rifle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by martin22, Jan 25, 2014.

1. martin22

martin22 Donator

im sure some of you will have seen my for sale thread and the fact that ive basically got my near on entire shooting kit up for sale,gutted is an understatement but sometimes life deals you an unfair and unexpected hand that we sometimes have no control over,i pride myself on being a man of principals and no matter what my family will allways come first,im allways the first to help freinds ect out but i was starting to think it only seems to work one way,untill i got a phone call today of an old freind who ive not seen for a while and who has indeed proved that he is an old and loyal freind who hasnt forgot the times ive helped him out in the past,these freinds are 1 in a million and a rare breed and im sure we can all agree we dont have many.
    anyway after the last month or so i feel a new page has been turned,ive also had some interest in my rifles today which is good (but also gutting :() and ive also picked up a cheap hw77 restoration project today,ive been shooting since a nipper with my old man and for me to be without a rifle would be like a man loseing his hand,i just couldnt turn this down,the stock needs sanding down and staining as its been varnished at some point,the metal works ok but i may give blueing a go,ive stripped it down allready and ive been and picked up a tuning kit for it,its a cheap rifle for what ive got in it and its far from the 100 or 95 combo's im selling but at least ill still be able to get out the 4 walls every now and then and at least i will be able to keep shooting my permission and not lose it :up:
    heres the 77 anyway
    483942_10201426701291259_1037047964_n.jpg 1620512_10201644118448818_728227939_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. wil1hit

wil1hit Engaging Member

mate we all have our story to tell at some point or another,but like you said family comes first .As regards to the tools of our trade ,there is many a good tune played on an old fiddle ,like i was told once its a bad workman that blames his tool ,they are good rifles and i dare say with a bit of fettling and a decent scope you will soon be nocking a nats bxxxx off at 30 yards so i should'nt worry all the best and good luck for the future fella

3. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Good luck with the old girl i hope she brings back some dark and distant
    memories .I also hope that your forture take a turn for the better.
    All the best Si

4. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers fella's,things are looking up but its been an eye opener though,with out trying to sound big headed ive allways been comfertable money wise,ive got a decent payed job,own my house,have savings (or did :rolleyes:) ect ,this was just a chain of totally unexpected events that all came at totally the wrong time,but on the whole im about on top of it now
    been doing a bit more on the 77 and got the action back together now and it feels loads better,no twang just a solid thud and it feels pretty good,i need to do a bit of fettling on the trigger unit yet but internally its starting to feel a good solid rifle,then its just a case of tidying up the cosmetics :up:
    http://youtu.be/LeQIzjED0CY

5. MightyOak

MightyOak Engaging Member

Hi Martin
    Just read through your recent Posts, sorry to hear that you're having sell up mate.
    How are you finding HW77 , noise wise etc, what calibre is it .22 ?

Im on the look out for a .22 HW Springer .
    Just gained 2 good sized permissions recently , SG perms though, but the HW100 has to stay just for now to keep them happy with a few other issues ;), but regretted selling the .22 HW100 so would love to return to springer shooting long term.

Hope everything sorts its self out for you.

When im settled into these Permissions with the landowners , an invites on its way up to you for a day out :up: .

Take care.
    Mo

6. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Hi mate

Ive had to sell up before and know the feeling all to well but as you my family always comes first.

Thats great to see you have a hw77 to play with im sure you will get plenty of joy out of it and at least you can get out.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it:)

Gaz

7. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers mate and thats a nice offer :up: if your up this way your more than welcome to tag along on mine but at the minute ive only got a small 12 acre permission,the 77 feels good but like any underlever i personally find them front heavy,maybe its just because ive got used to shooting break barrels,if you are going to get a hw springer i would definatly shoulder a 95,personally i think there a cracking rifle for out in the field,light and well balanced and just as accurate,robust and powerfull as any 'holy grail' sub 12 80,again personally i find break barrels easier to use in the field loading ect but thats just personall preferance :)

cheers mate,its a crap situation but its also an eye opener,if theres one thing ive learnt its dont take things for granted and expect the unexpected no matter how good life is,i can see the light at the end of the tunnel now anyway and things are looking up :up:
    as for the 77 now the internalls are all good im going to sand down the stock next and give staining a go so ill add some pics soon:up:

8. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

No how ye feel mate, last year all my gear which isn't much was almost sold to help fund a new heating system. A good mate did the work for mates rates and also let me pay up in small instalments.

Hope things stay on the up for you:)

9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That's lovely - old HW springers are where it's at.

10. martin22

martin22 Donator

i do agree with that,i find shooting them very satisfying and there just as accurate as any pcp,how you getting on with that 95 anyway? im sure youll agree its a little gem of a rifle with a little more than a stage 2 ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

It's laughably accurate; I chucked an old scope on it and off it went (am waiting for my Hawke to come back). Not very high in power, but so accurate that power's not an issue. I meant to ask you what goes into a Dave Hall stage 2 tune, by the way.

12. martin22

martin22 Donator

stage 2 is polished internals,spring,top hat and guide and grease,that ones also been short stroked and sleeved from what ive been told,theres every chance it may have been buttoned too but he couldnt remember,i was talking to him when i took my other 95 over,he asked if i still had it and said i shouldnt have sold it as it had a higher tune than stage 2,it was set up for hft originally
    what power is it putting out admittantly thats something i never checked as i didnt have a chrono at the time,if its well down more than your happy with let me know :up:

13. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Wow, that was more detail than I was expecting! She's giving just about 10fpe, but that suits me fine - power is not as important as accuracy and it's the most accurate springer I've ever owned. Am looking forward to a bit of squirrel bashing when the weather calms down, so will be taking her with me then.

14. martin22

martin22 Donator

got a bit more done on the rifle today,stripped/sanded the stock and got the first coat of oil on,allready its looking a million times better than the finish it originally had on,looked like sprayed laquer as there were loads in minute bubbles and even dog hairs in it,will keep adding another coat each night after work this week
    1012546_10201650314043704_1088085380_n.jpg 150237_10201650314003703_282980204_n.jpg
    oh and anyone in or near chesterfield with a crono? i could do with checking the power its putting out now ive fitted the tuning kit,like a :censored: ive sold mine :rolleyes:

15. martin22

martin22 Donator

little update on the progress of the stock,so far its had 6 coats of jacobean dark oak danish oil,tomorrow it will get a rub down with very fine wire wool then will have a few more coats,so far im happy with the results though
    1010923_10201668823746435_1540700826_n.jpg 1016536_10201668823866438_1347845578_n.jpg 1517519_10201668823906439_32113059_n.jpg 1795686_10201668823786436_196091918_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Looking great, Martin. I'm in the middle of doing my stock now - it takes ages, which is quite frustrating, but it's lovely when you get a good result, which I'm sure yours will be.

17. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers jr and you'll have to post some pictures :up: your right though it does take ages,everybit of info i read prior to starting stressed this so i just did one application a night after work for the first 2 nights then due to the rain the last 2 days ive been home from work early so ive gave it 2 coats a day for the last 2 days with 6hr intervalls,will give it a good rub down again tomorrow to smooth and then add a couple of coats with the palm of my hand,from what ive read this should give a really nice finish,
    also the rifle i didnt fit either of the ptfe preload washers when i fitted the kit (to make sure it wasnt over as i dont have a crono at the min)and there was still a tiny liitle bit of twang,i stripped it down again and realised there was next to no preload on the spring without them so i fitted them and its quitened it down even more,will be checking the power tomorrow so hopefully its ok but if not i could get away with removing one of them,bought another cheap project today which ill be picking up tomorrow too,cant wait to get started on it :up:

18. martin22

martin22 Donator

finished putting the rifle back together today and added a couple of "bling" bits i had knocking about,quite happy with the way its turned out and how it shoots but if im honest....i miss my 95 :(
    1486713_10201699194865694_803762680_n.jpg 1545998_10201699196025723_601276425_n.jpg 1619277_10201699194745691_1832887725_n.jpg 1620465_10201699194825693_727819227_n.jpg 1622187_10201699194785692_663822729_n.jpg 1779843_10201699194625688_1133828170_n.jpg

19. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Would that be the one I bought?

20. Beachcomber

Beachcomber Donator

I've been in the situation where almost overnight due to circumstances beyond your control you go from making a good living to being on the bones of your arse with a family and mortgage to maintain.

It is scary how fast life can turn and makes you realise how fragile your situation can be.

One thing is for sure. Keeping up with shooting your permission will make sure you get a little time away from it all where some quiet time alone can give you that oasis of calm allowing you can re-focus, set priorities, de-stress and come back to face another day rejuvenated.