1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

A Moment Of Madness?... Inspirational?... Or A Flash Of Genius?....... You Tell Me!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Halinfax, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer and general all round nice guy

Gentlemen.....

Todays Tinkering has been a “bit of a do” for a number of reasons… However, it was a task that had to be undertaken… and I was the person charged with its undertaking….(and foolish enough to accept)….

Some of the “purists” amongst you will baulk and be enraged at the concept of this fusion… but it was an idea, a concept, a drunken moment of lucidity…. Either way… it HAS been undertaken.

We start with the patient… an SMK B2 .22 barrel with as much inherent accuracy as a kick to the nuts…

Cheap, inaccurate, flawed and Chinese!!

The Donor… a pristine Weihrauch 99 .22 barrel .

And then there is myself… a Frankenstein of the air rifling world.. locked in the laboratory… er shed.. given a plethora of bits and asked to make a thing of consummate beauty and function…

The Owner of this fusion of HW99 barrel and B2 breech block has named it HWB2…. and this is how the items arrived....
    20210907_113410.jpg

In order to undertake this transformation, it was necessary for the B2 barrel to be removed from its own breech..

I have been reliably informed that a copious amount of hammering and much abusive insulting finally freed the piece of 15mm ex Russion tractor drive shaft from its captive breech…

An then, the HW 99… engineering at its best (vorschprung durch Teknic) a beautifully crafted steel shaft, turned, splined, screwcut and held in place in the breech by the locking ring that you would never be able to remove unless you had the special locking key..

And I don’t think Mr HW hands them out willy nilly…..

Out came the grinder.

The HW purists amongst you … LOOK AWAY…..

2 cuts to the left and top of the breech released the barrel and all its engineering acumen from its captivity…
    20210907_143412.jpg

Now was the task of forging the HW to suit the B2 and as the diameters are a world apart, it was necessary to machine the HW barrel breech end to 10mm x 30mm long in order to be able to sweat a steel sleeve onto it for machining to suit the 12.75mm diameter of the B2 breech.

The sleeve was made and sweated onto the breech end of the barrel and allowed to cool..
    20210907_154759.jpg 20210907_163708.jpg 20210907_164251.jpg

The barrel was clocked up to within 0.10mm TIR (bore) and the diameter was turned to 12.78mm suit the B2 breech (with a little bit of polishing allowance for fitting to the slightly tapered B2 breech bore…
    20210907_164816.jpg

Next.. the ubiquitous HW99 dovetailed barrel end had to be clocked up concentric and the end machined for a ½” UNF thread. A TIR of 0.03 was maintained whilst the thread was screw cut…..
    20210907_150411.jpg 20210907_150423.jpg 20210907_151456.jpg 20210907_153600.jpg

As the HW99 had a good crown, no work was undertaken on the faces..
    20210907_153626.jpg

The breech end of the modified HW barrel was now machined to accommodate a breech seal that would have to somehow seal itself on a tapered breech face!!!!!

A diameter of 7.00mm x 3mm in length was machined for the breech seal recess and the edges of the barrels pellet guide were given a nice lead in…. and everything de-burred.
    20210907_173546.jpg

The barrel was now ready to insert into the breech…

A little polishing, a bit of tickling and a little heat.. and the German barrel was now inside the Chinese breech. …. It was all locked in place securely….. The creation was complete……………….

IT WAS ALIVE!!!!!!

20210907_230522.jpg 20210908_122006.jpg

As the old barrel/breech pin had been destroyed in its removal, it was necessary to make a new 5.02mm diameter x 16mm long barrel/breech locking pin out of silver steel. As the barrels outer diameter encroached on the pin hole, it was necessary to smooth out the encroachment of the barrels diameter to allow passage of the pin . This was done carefully by hand… (using a 3mm rat tail file and 600 grit emery … which soon sorted it all out)

The locking pin hole had some medium strength Loctite adhesive dripped into it… and the barrel/breech locking pin was tapped home… securely locking the barrel into place…

Next, the breech pivot pin hole had to be tickled out to 7.00mm as the barrel also interfered with the clear passage of the pivot pin…. This too was done using the 5mm smooth file and emery making sure that the 7.00mm silver steel bar was a nice snug fit…
    20210908_122021.jpg

Next, a 3mm section x 7mm ID rubber O ring was fitted to the breech seal recess.. BUT not before making a 0.5mm PTFE ½ moon spacer for the top of the O ring to enable it to seal on the cylinder….
    20210908_122106.jpg

Then a THOROUGH clean of the barrels inner using Hals ACME All Weather Multi Calibre Pull Through…….

NOW, the HWB2 barrel was ready for testing on my own B2…

The action of the rifle was cocked using my B2 barrel and cocking arm, then removed.. and replaced with the HWB2 barrel, before carefully insert a pellet, closing the action to snap the breech shut….. and then we pulled the trigger…..

IT WORKS…..

Another couple of attempts and each time.. everything seemed to be fine…

Content with how it shoots, a quick clean up, and a touch up of some of the bluing before a good coat of oil.

As I had also asked the \Owner to send me the main spring and guide... I decided to make a new spring guide (one that actually fitted the spring and did'nt allow the spring to slop about) as well as a top hat guide for in the piston.
    I also polished up the spring (because thats the sort of guy I am...)

All the bits carefully packed and finally sent to its Owner…..
    20210908_162315.jpg

This originally started out as an idea by the Owner… but I think that we have managed to undertake this task suitably.

YES.. I know… that many of your Tinkering Chaps have swapped barrels before … and so its no big deal….

But how many have stepped the quality up from the cheapest barrel imaginable to a quality item/

I hope the Owner can respond to the functionality of the HWB2 and perhaps comment on IF he thought it was worth the effort…

HW Owners... PLEASE.. dont hate me or think i am a bad fella!!!!!!....

AmBraCol, Billios247, Andy H and 34 others like this.
  2. Billy W

Billy W Born Ready.....

Engineering at it best right there! Nice work

Halinfax and vinnyp like this.
  3. shadowryder

shadowryder "whistlin' Dixie"

Excellent work my friend,
    you did a great job on the 22 barrel work for me a wee while ago and look forward to a .177 version when you can fit it in.
    J...

Halinfax likes this.
  4. vinnyp

vinnyp Plinkin ain’t easy !

:claping:

All I can say is……….

The HWB2 has exceeded my expectations :D

And being honest I was expecting it to be pretty good :thumb:

Halinfax likes this.
  5. Grey Man

Grey Man Big Poster

Like Everest ... because it's there ...

6. Autodidact

Autodidact Thought Criminal

:claping::claping::claping:

Well played sir (and an excellent write up) :thumb:

Halinfax likes this.
  7. MrBadger

MrBadger Busy Member

Mad skills right there.
    If I had a hat on, it would be tipped in thine direction

Halinfax likes this.
  8. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Top Poster

Hip Hip Hooray for Hal, the man , the machine, the " Barrel Whisperer"

Phil Spectre, vinnyp and Halinfax like this.
  9. vinnyp

We choose to re-barrel b2’s, not because it is easy, but because it is hard!

We need tinkerers in this world :thumb:

Chouchin66 and Halinfax like this.
  10. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Your definitely off your head, a true mad hatter of the AGF :laff:

Well done, way beyond my comprehension of even where to start with something like this - the thin line between madman and genius has been blurred yet again :claping:

Chouchin66, Halinfax and vinnyp like this.
  11. Andy yam

Andy yam Jack of all trades

Hey up @Halinfax
    I'm just astounded amazing horrified and a little intrigued as to what your going to do next
    Well done young man :claping::claping:well done indeed

Halinfax likes this.
  12. Lostkiwi

Lostkiwi Tomorrow will be a good day.

Definitely a mad genius is our Hal....

Chouchin66 and Halinfax like this.
  13. Paul55

Paul55 Keyboard Hero

Wizardry at it's finest with pics to boot :thumb:

Halinfax likes this.
  14. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Top Poster

If " our " Hal don't get " tinkerer of the year" ...the next election is rigged

Halinfax, buryal and vinnyp like this.
  15. Ray13

Ray13 "You failed to maintain your weapon son".

I am in awe of your engineering talent :eek: and loved the write up. Well done :thumb:.

Halinfax likes this.
  16. wezil

wezil Keyboard Hero

I admire your devotion and skills, I think your daft but that's beside the point, my hats off to you.

Halinfax likes this.
  17. ajohn

ajohn Chewing Things Over

Interesting one @Halinfax

TBH I would wonder about checking pellet fit and if ok adding a truly precise crown to the original barrel. To do that I would have to make an ancient item. A cup chuck with 2 rows of fine adjustment screws well spaced, say 150mm to allow a similar length mandrel in the bore to be set true to silly limits. ME threads at 40tpi are ideal for that sort of use.

18. vinnyp

Sorry for the hijack @Halinfax :facepalm:

The problem with the original barrel was that it was closer to 5.6mm bore than 5.5mm, this meant modern pellets just rattled down the rifling and exited the muzzle with no trace of ever having contacted the lands.

Add into the mix a breech end that was so tight it undersized the pellets even further and no amount of expert re-crowning would of been able to accurize the b2.

Hence the decision to swap the barrel for a quality one :thumb:

ajohn likes this.
  19. ajohn

ajohn Chewing Things Over

I doubt if @Halinfax minds. I just thought it worth posting for people with barrel problems

That is interesting as I have come across something similar. Barrel appears to just be crowned at each end and nothing in between - then fit it the wrong way round.
    :facepalm: Sorry for adding that.

20. 1260engineer

1260engineer The Terminator's Armourer

:D Can you stop messing about Hal and do some proper stuff .
    Im still trying to work out the difference between them screws with the slot on and them with the cross on :D

Class Hal :thumb:

Now stop messing and build your own rifle :thumb:

Balders and Halinfax like this.